Cleaning Canvas

Dalesman

Featured Posts

What do you use to clean green mildew from your cratch cover..?

I've just placed my order for a canvas stern deck cover for the new barge with Canvasman at Otley. They have recommended an American produced powder that mixes up with water called:

IOSSO Mold and mildew stain remover (you can tell from the spelling that it is a US product). 12ozs makes 3 gallons. One gallon does 150 sq ft and you shouldn't mix what you're going to need greater than 10 hours before use.

Then for the regular, routine cleaning they recommended a UK product:

RENOVO Boat Canvas Cleaner. It is used neat with a 2" paint brush.

I stress that I haven't actually used these products yet but they were strongly recommended.

Roger

I've just placed my order for a canvas stern deck cover for the new barge with Canvasman at Otley. They have recommended an American produced powder that mixes up with water called:

IOSSO Mold and mildew stain remover (you can tell from the spelling that it is a US product). 12ozs makes 3 gallons. One gallon does 150 sq ft and you shouldn't mix what you're going to need greater than 10 hours before use.

Then for the regular, routine cleaning they recommended a UK product:

RENOVO Boat Canvas Cleaner. It is used neat with a 2" paint brush.

I stress that I haven't actually used these products yet but they were strongly recommended.

Roger

Thanks for the info, our cover is from them,so will give them a call and try this IOSSO stuff. I have tried the Auto Glym one but not all that good,due to the cover being about 3 or 4 years old now and has never been cleaned..!

Real canvas not vinyl..

Pressure wash will get the worst of the dirt & mould/algae off with out damaging the fabric. Then regular cleaning with the likes of Renovo and a good rinse down. If you use a brush, use a soft one like the one that comes with a dustpan & brush. A scrubbing brush cound damage the weave of the fabric. Its worth cleaning the inside of the cratch cover as well as mould often builds up in damp weather. Happy cleaning!

Pressure wash will get the worst of the dirt & mould/algae off with out damaging the fabric. Then regular cleaning with the likes of Renovo and a good rinse down. If you use a brush, use a soft one like the one that comes with a dustpan & brush. A scrubbing brush cound damage the weave of the fabric. Its worth cleaning the inside of the cratch cover as well as mould often builds up in damp weather. Happy cleaning!

Thanks for the info..will pass it all on to the 1st Mate..

cheers.

Edited by Dalesman