Boat interior layout

flo

Featured Posts

Hi

Ive just completely gutted out my 30ft Springer and now need to decide where I can put what, is there a type of layout design planner that anyone has used to help with the dimensions of everything please? I have looked through the search option but nothings jumping out at me.

Thanks

Hi Flo, not sure about a design planner. However, we bought a 30ft narrowboat last year after looking at dozens of the same size with very varied layouts. It does depend on what you want but ours has a fixed double, then a shower/loo, then a small kitchen and open plan (dining/lounge) with doors opening on the front of the boat. They used every available bit of space and if I was designing from scratch I couldn't have done a better job. If you let me know your email I've got plenty of interior pictures.

regards,

Hi Flo, not sure about a design planner. However, we bought a 30ft narrowboat last year after looking at dozens of the same size with very varied layouts. It does depend on what you want but ours has a fixed double, then a shower/loo, then a small kitchen and open plan (dining/lounge) with doors opening on the front of the boat. They used every available bit of space and if I was designing from scratch I couldn't have done a better job. If you let me know your email I've got plenty of interior pictures.

regards,

You can have fun playing with the planner on the Waterways World website.

Not that it's likely to be similar to yours, but here is the one I produced for our boat, using that site (click on it for a larger version).

keepupplanr.jpg

Edited by Keeping Up

Ive just completely gutted out my 30ft Springer and now need to decide where I can put what, is there a type of layout design planner that anyone has used to help with the dimensions of everything please? I have looked through the search option but nothings jumping out at me.

Google's Sketchup, use the tutorial's as they quite useful.

Google's Sketchup, use the tutorial's as they quite useful.

I highly recommend (free) SketchUp too.....

As well as plans, you can really use it to visualise what you are going to do will look like in the flesh.....

Admittedly this is only for remodelling a middle area in our boat, but you could certainly use for the whole thing.

Learning curve is not to steep!

Middle_Room_Plan.jpg

Middle_Room_Folding_Chairs_1.jpg

I highly recommend (free) SketchUp too.....

As well as plans, you can really use it to visualise what you are going to do will look like in the flesh.....

Admittedly this is only for remodelling a middle area in our boat, but you could certainly use for the whole thing.

Learning curve is not to steep!

Middle_Room_Plan.jpg

Middle_Room_Folding_Chairs_1.jpg

Blimey, that looks very impressive. I must persevere - my brain went into meltdown after a couple of hours trying to learn how to use SketchUp. My efforts were more like CockUp.

The best way to design and interior is to look at lots of boats in the flesh as most peoples

'new ideas' have been done before, live with your interior for a while and your ideas will evolve. The main thing to remember is not to be too clever and to make sure that any finishes are suitable for a boating environment.

Blimey, that looks very impressive. I must persevere - my brain went into meltdown after a couple of hours trying to learn how to use SketchUp. My efforts were more like CockUp.

I don't know when you last looked at SketchUp but they now have some pretty useful online tutorials. They helped me get a lot more from it.

Tony :lol: