Private Mooring Available

Nightwatch

Featured Posts

Hello

I can't understand how loyal I am to the owner of the moorings where we keep Nightwatch.

Anyway, I am aware that there is a mooring available for a boat up to 45' in length.

Interested? Please PM me and I can pass on the contact details.

Martyn

Hello

I can't understand how loyal I am to the owner of the moorings where we keep Nightwatch.

Anyway, I am aware that there is a mooring available for a boat up to 45' in length.

Martyn

Hello Martyn, isn't Clatercote Wharf one of Mr Finch's farourite grocery supply bases? :lol:

Edited by David Schweizer

Hello

Martyn

Hi I dont suppose it would take a 50 footer would it?

Many thanks

Hello Martyn, isn't Clatercote Wharf one of Mr Finch's farourite grocery supply bases? :lol:

It seems it can be about this time of year. The owner of the farm where the moorings are is having a hell of a battle with the lady owner of the adjoining farm that has a style (spellcheck) adjacent to Elkingtons Lock, it is believed that whoever is gaining entry into these boats gets to the moorings via this easy hedge hopper. What is needed is the style replacing with a gate with a lock (Poss. Bw Key) to restrict access. She won't budge though. There are geese between the lock and the moorings, they are the most friendly geese I have ever come across. Our staffie goes nose to nose with one or two to have a chat each time we venture through.

Martyn

It seems it can be about this time of year. The owner of the farm where the moorings are is having a hell of a battle with the lady owner of the adjoining farm that has a style (spellcheck) adjacent to Elkingtons Lock, it is believed that whoever is gaining entry into these boats gets to the moorings via this easy hedge hopper. What is needed is the style replacing with a gate with a lock (Poss. Bw Key) to restrict access. She won't budge though. There are geese between the lock and the moorings, they are the most friendly geese I have ever come across. Our staffie goes nose to nose with one or two to have a chat each time we venture through.

Martyn

Just out of curiosity, is the stile there because it's a public right of way? If not, how about a fence and gate on the mooring landowner's side that would isolate the stile?

Just out of curiosity, is the stile there because it's a public right of way? If not, how about a fence and gate on the mooring landowner's side that would isolate the stile?
Sorry only just seen this comment.

Yes, I agree with your comment. Not sure it is a public right of way, it doesn't go anywhere apart from onto the two farms. However if it is a public right of way there is in fact a fence, although flimsy, with a gate onto the farm with the moorings. I suppose that could be enhanced and secured. I very rarely see anyone using this means of passage.

Martyn

Hi Pithlit

I have sent a PM with details.

Martyn

Edited by Nightwatch1

Sorry only just seen this comment.

Yes, I agree with your comment. Not sure it is a public right of way, it doesn't go anywhere apart from onto the two farms. However if it is a public right of way there is in fact a fence, although flimsy, with a gate onto the farm with the moorings. I suppose that could be enhanced and secured. I very rarely see anyone using this means of passage.

Martyn

Hi Pithlit

I have sent a PM with details.

Martyn

Hi Martyn thank you very much for your help. I shall get in touch with him shortly

Tom

• 3 weeks later...

I am resurrecting this thread as the mooring is still up for grabs.

It might seem that Mr Finch has already traveled north for this year! So any fears of him trying the catering of boats at Clattercote are seemingly passed.

Pithlit....Have you given up on the idea?

Martyn

Hi Athy

Yep, you're right.

I spoke to the owner and he says he can fit in a 50 footer. I believe that Pithlit is in touch with the owner but so far has not been to view, so I have been asked to mention the vacancy again.

Martyn

Hi Athy

Yep, you're right.

I spoke to the owner and he says he can fit in a 50 footer. I believe that Pithlit is in touch with the owner but so far has not been to view, so I have been asked to mention the vacancy again.

Martyn

Yes, he noticed that we have a fair bit of spare space at each end of our boat so he proposes to move her along to a snugger mooring, which is fine by us. I don't know, but I suspect that the fees from his moorers subsidise his organic farming, so who would begrudge him a few extra quid in the coffers?

Martyn

I thought dogs weren't allowed.

I am resurrecting this thread as the mooring is still up for grabs.

It might seem that Mr Finch has already traveled north for this year! So any fears of him trying the catering of boats at Clattercote are seemingly passed.

Pithlit....Have you given up on the idea?

Martyn

I don't think its anymore venerable than anywhere else between Oxford and Rugby including some expensive marinas

I thought dogs weren't allowed.
Where,what, when, who??

Martyn

Yes, he noticed that we have a fair bit of spare space at each end of our boat so he proposes to move her along to a snugger mooring, which is fine by us. I don't know, but I suspect that the fees from his moorers subsidise his organic farming, so who would begrudge him a few extra quid in the coffers?
Yep! We have at times been a bit squashed in at the other end. It's not very often that he has had spaces.Our friends,who have now moved back onto the K&A, used to have problems with their stern fender being bent, or should I say the metal spike that was supporting it.

Another thread about mooring with slack/tight lines or a spring, doesn't really effect our mooring. If you don't have a spring, with the centre rope, you can get a bit bashed about.

Still like it at Clattercote though.

Martyn

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I am, without embarrassment bumping this thread as we 'in the know' Owen and myself are aware that there are two moorings becoming available after the forthcoming Cropredy festival in early August.

Usual request, if interested PM me and I will forward contact details of the Farm owner.

Martyn

• 6 months later...

I'm running the risk of getting a ticking off from the mods, but hey ho.

45' & 50' moorings available from end of March, I believe.

Not been to our boat since before Christmas so I don't know who's leaving. there is a short (winter) moorer going about that time so that space is explained.

Martyn

Martyn

Removed as I just spotted its an old posting Edited by ditchcrawler

Hi Ditchcrawler

I think you were going to mention the problem with access to the moorings from the adjacent farm.

There has been a developement there. The farm has been sold and the new owners are to block off the style near the lock and put a locked gate and no-one will have a key eccept the owner. Sad really as we quite often moor up and arround the corner from these moorings and walk back to gain access to the car for a shopping trip into Banbury.

Are you still near the winding Hole at the Engine Arm? Seem to remember you may be moving. Or I'm really becoming a numpty.

Martyn

• 5 months later...

Martyn

I can add, the farm next door to Clattercote Wharf has been recently sold and is now a stud (horse) and the new owners have relpaced the stile with a fence and intalled a locked gate. This is great for security. however the only person with a key is the farms new owner so there is no short cut for us moorers from the adjacent lock/tow path. Bo hoo!

Gregg at the farm has a number of mooring vacancies available. You may see his ad in Septembers Waterways World or drop me a PM and I can let you know details if interested.

Martyn

Martyn

Can't he read, it says"No Dogs"

Can't he read, it says"No Dogs"

Sorry, don't quite understand your comment.

I guess by 'he' you mean our dog. Also you quote a post of mine from March this year, not the more recent edition. wasthis an error?

Incidentally, I read your blog and didn't find it boring.

Martyn