Blacking of hull.. 2 coats in 6 hours?

Hieronymus Bosh

Featured Posts

Hi all,

I've had tons of constructive advice so far, all gratefullly received, BUT I am desperate for purely serious help this time. I am currently moored up at an important junction, just about west of a tunnel 1 and 1/4 miles long on the grand union. I have been slipped out this morning, with the intention being of having two coats of "Intertuf" put on my hull. We left the boat at 12.20, after having it pressure washed about an hour before. Weather here was good.. firm breeze, no rain, so hopefully the boat was nearly dry. We returned to the boat @ 6 hours later, to be told that we had had TWO coats applied, and that we would be back in the water tomorrow. My dilemma is.. the people KNOW we are new to this, but I can't sit around and distrust people all the time? Therefore, is this feasible? Two coats of intertuf in one day? I'm seriously worried about this, as its a lot of money... and please.. no gibes about hanging around and watching the whole process.. we had other stuff to do, and had no reason to distrust this firm? If your advice comes back that its all well and good, then fine; however, if you think I'm being taken for a ride, any ideas how to proceed?

Really crap*ing conkers here,

Martin

It is of course possible, but I would say definitely not recommended.

I don't know about Intertuf, but I thought most conventional blackings needed to be left at least 24 hours before the next coat goes on, and at least the same again before the boat is refloated.

Unless I'm missing something, I don't think this will stay as stuck as it should.

(Sorry).

International state 24hrs minimum before going back in the water. Apparently it can perforate if not sufficiently cured, in fact that's why they gave up their licence for Intertuf to be used in water tanks due to them being filled with water too soon and subsequently failing. We aim for 24 hrs between coats and a minimum of 48hrs before refloating and though we use Rytex bitumen the same thing applies.

Edited by nb Innisfree

In 6hours it would have been possible to get two coats on. However i too would not have expected two coats to have been put on in that time.

It should be fine in the long term, but its pointless as it doesnt save time. Two coats with a good time to dry in between is better than two close together which can effectively become one thick coat in terms of trying time.

- I dont know the paint itself well, but consult the appliction instructions or call the tech help.

Certainly tomorrow ( morning ? ) would seem a bit quick.

If it really sunny and the hull gets some heat into it over the day, and had done the same today tomorrow evening (for a new boat to come out the following morning prehaps) maybe. But its march so its not awesome scorching 'struggling to keep a wet edge' type drying weather.

As them if it can stay out an extra day.

Maybe ask around the yard if it had moorers/regulars to see if its common place to do a boat in that time at that yard.

*post crossed with the above two, but yes, it should fine assuming there actually is two coats, as its left for long enough to cure.

Daniel

Is it Intertuf 16, or a different one ?

This data sheet makes it fairly clear that at 5 degrees the minimum time between coats should be 24 hours.

OK it's a bit warmer than that, but certainly nothing like 25 degrees, and even then the minimum time between coats should be no less than 8 hours.

I'm sorry, but if it's this Intertuf product they have not even come close to meeting the manufacturers recommendations, have they ?

I can't tell you how to solve it, but surely the first thing is a discussion with them to ask why they think they can ignore the recommended over-coating and drying times.

Are you prepared to say who this is ?

As you say "slipped" I'm assuming it is below the bottom lock, rather than in the dry dock alongside it ?

Send a PM if you do not wish to say publicly.

EDITED TO ADD:

I can see people have found differing Intertuf data sheets - to have a sensible conversation, you need to know exactly what variant they have used, then search out the sheet for that one.

Edited by alan_fincher

ty alan.. pm sent

Thanks.

Rather where I guessed it might be, but I have no personal experience, or at least not for blacking.

I'm out of touch, but those prices do not sound particularly cheap.

I wouldn't be happy if it were me, but other than checking the data sheet for what they have actually used, and "having a conversation", I do not know what to advise.

If they say the manufacturers recommendations don't actually matter, I'd try talking to the technical department of the manufacturer of the blacking.

See if they are prepared to send you a written statement that a boat blacked and re-watered so quickly at spring temperatures will not be as good as one done properly.

Good luck!

Hi all,

I've had tons of constructive advice so far, all gratefullly received, BUT I am desperate for purely serious help this time. I am currently moored up at an important junction, just about west of a tunnel 1 and 1/4 miles long on the grand union. I have been slipped out this morning, with the intention being of having two coats of "Intertuf" put on my hull. We left the boat at 12.20, after having it pressure washed about an hour before. Weather here was good.. firm breeze, no rain, so hopefully the boat was nearly dry. We returned to the boat @ 6 hours later, to be told that we had had TWO coats applied, and that we would be back in the water tomorrow. My dilemma is.. the people KNOW we are new to this, but I can't sit around and distrust people all the time? Therefore, is this feasible? Two coats of intertuf in one day? I'm seriously worried about this, as its a lot of money... and please.. no gibes about hanging around and watching the whole process.. we had other stuff to do, and had no reason to distrust this firm? If your advice comes back that its all well and good, then fine; however, if you think I'm being taken for a ride, any ideas how to proceed?

Really crap*ing conkers here,

Martin

6 hours is only enough time to apply two coats if rollered on and one person non stop would take 2- 3 hours per coat if done thoroughly. If more than one person then definite issues of drying time between coats. Touch dry does not equate to fully dry - imagine paint overcoated too soon.

My advice to resolve your anxiety would be to insist upon staying out of the water for at least twenty four hours after the last coat was applied and insist upon a further coat being applied and then wait another 24 hours for drying before going back into the water.

If this is not going to happen then you must wait 24 hours after last application then re-negotiate the cost for single coat.

We take three days to apply 2 coats, day one, early docking, steam clean scraping,steam clean, drying and first coat applied pm. Day two, second coat day 3 drying day. Day 4 early docking back into the water. much cheaper also - Next time ?. Dave

6 hours is only enough time to apply two coats if rollered on and one person non stop would take 2- 3 hours per coat if done thoroughly. If more than one person then definite issues of drying time between coats. Touch dry does not equate to fully dry - imagine paint overcoated too soon.

My advice to resolve your anxiety would be to insist upon staying out of the water for at least twenty four hours after the last coat was applied and insist upon a further coat being applied and then wait another 24 hours for drying before going back into the water.

If this is not going to happen then you must wait 24 hours after last application then re-negotiate the cost for single coat.

We take three days to apply 2 coats, day one, early docking, steam clean scraping,steam clean, drying and first coat applied pm. Day two, second coat day 3 drying day. Day 4 early docking back into the water. much cheaper also - Next time ?. Dave

Sounds good - where are you? I'd be interested for my next blacking....

Stickleback

PM me if you'd rather!!

If it were warm summer weather with a drying breeze, then the OPs quoted schedule might be OK. This time of year, it's certainly pushing it and as a bare minimum I would insist on another 24 hours drying time.

Two coats in 6 hours is physically do-able, the second coat is generally much quicker to put on than the first, but if the first coat isn't fully dry then the second will need extended drying time.

The price quoted is not cheap so you should expect it done properly, we do 3 coats over 5 days for less than that but we are out of reach of affluent Southerners :lol:

Tim

Edited by Timleech

When I have my boat blacked, they wash it the first day, one coat the next day, the second coat on the third day and it goes back in the water on the fourth. They set the schedule, not me, but they are in the repeat-customer business so I am confident they know what they are doing.

When I have my boat blacked, they wash it the first day, one coat the next day, the second coat on the third day and it goes back in the water on the fourth. They set the schedule, not me, but they are in the repeat-customer business so I am confident they know what they are doing.

That's the schedule we aim for, but one more coat and one more day. If it's the aforementioned summer drying weather, sometimes the first coat can go on the same day as the washing off.

Generally we start on Monday & finish on Friday, if there's nothing booked for the weekend the boat will often be left out of the water until Saturday.

Tim

Edited by Timleech