Roses and Castles - in stained glass?

Steve King

Featured Posts

I was struck by the similar composition of items depicted in these stained glass panels for sale on eBay when compared to the decoration found on the door panels of working narrowboats. A lake with a bridge over a narrows, a castle with turrets and a flag. And perhaps the stained glass is from the same period, at a guess the door is 1920s or 30s?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Stained-glass-door-w...=item27b024f73a

Steve

I was struck by the similar composition of items depicted in these stained glass panels for sale on eBay when compared to the decoration found on the door panels of working narrowboats. A lake with a bridge over a narrows, a castle with turrets and a flag. And perhaps the stained glass is from the same period, at a guess the door is 1920s or 30s?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Stained-glass-door-w...=item27b024f73a

Steve

Are you sure it's stained glass? with todays art materials it is possible to paint glass so that it looks like stained glass, I know this as my wife paints on glass and it looks like the real thing.

Phil

Are you sure it's stained glass? with todays art materials it is possible to paint glass so that it looks like stained glass, I know this as my wife paints on glass and it looks like the real thing.

Phil

You can see where the lead cames have been soldered. That would have cost a bit unless it has been made by a hobby artist. The designs are quite simple but very nice.

Hi all

Sorry - I can't see a connection between painted landscapes on boats and panels in a modern uPVC door. Perhaps the panels were meant to remind us of canal castles, tho' I think the connection most tenuous. Painted work on boats was evident well before the 1920s and has more association with Victorian art forms than those of the art deco period. Tony Lewery's excellent "Flowers Afloat" is a mine of information on possible origins of the boat painting tradition and I thoroughly recommend it to all interested in traditional canal painting

Cheers

Dave

:lol:

Hi all

Sorry - I can't see a connection between painted landscapes on boats and panels in a modern uPVC door. Perhaps the panels were meant to remind us of canal castles, tho' I think the connection most tenuous. Painted work on boats was evident well before the 1920s and has more association with Victorian art forms than those of the art deco period. Tony Lewery's excellent "Flowers Afloat" is a mine of information on possible origins of the boat painting tradition and I thoroughly recommend it to all interested in traditional canal painting

Cheers

Dave

Sorry Dave,

I'm pretty sure this is a wooden door from the late 20s or 30s - not uPVC.

The accompanying glass panels are even more "canal like". Agree the connection is tenuous but obviously influenced by the same roots.

Paul

These are Art Deco glazed panels from the 1920's- 1930's. I doubt that the designer had ever seen Canal Boat painting when these were produced. The door is an interesting variation on the ubiquitious "Sunburst" pattern and the casements are clearly influenced by the popular "Dutch" design.

The panels are particularly good examples of the typical glazing fitted to millions of house built to the West of London in "Metroland" during the Inter war years. Sadly there are very few examples left, as the Plastic invasion takes over.

Edited by David Schweizer

Metroland - and beyond! I sit in a house in St Albans which is on an estate where most of the houses have some kind of stain glassed image of; a house on a hill with trees and sky above the front room leaded windows, and a scene of a galleon on the seas split into three frames beside the front door. It looks like the vendor has removed these items and replaced with upvc - or they may have come from elsewhere, the door looks genuine, but I'm not totally convinced by that of the glazed portion. I see no reason why the creator might not have been influenced by a canalside visit whether early or later. But it's all conjecture. Lots of clever people still about though.

I can see the separate window frames as being set either side of the front door to make a whole scene.

Derek

Metroland - and beyond! I sit in a house in St Albans which is on an estate where most of the houses have some kind of stain glassed image of; a house on a hill with trees and sky above the front room leaded windows, and a scene of a galleon on the seas split into three frames beside the front door. It looks like the vendor has removed these items and replaced with upvc - or they may have come from elsewhere, the door looks genuine, but I'm not totally convinced by that of the glazed portion. I see no reason why the creator might not have been influenced by a canalside visit whether early or later. But it's all conjecture. Lots of clever people still about though.

I can see the separate window frames as being set either side of the front door to make a whole scene.

Derek

The new Doctors surgery in Upton on Severn has a large stained glass window incorporating local activities.On the Severn there is a picture of Vesta when under my ownership.