BMC 1500 Diesel engine?

Featured Posts

Hi to all,

My name is Anestis and I am from Greece. I fount the site very usefull and I want to thank all of you for advises that giving. I recently bought a wooden boat with BMC 1500 diesel motor? Can you please help to find the type of engine using the below photo’s? The quality it is not good because I use my mobile phone to take.

If it is BMC can any body know the dimensions for the core plugs ? One start leaking and I want to replace all . I count 5 pieces. On weekend I will take some photos of the engine and I will post here for further help. The boat is from 1983 but I think the engine is older and needed to replace the head gasket and glow plugs.

On engine I can read : MOWOG , 1500D, 15U/102/D 2437, 12H194

The engine starts difficult but when starts working with no other problem.

I want to keep engine runing.

Thank for your help.

Regards

Anestis

27022010014.png

27022010010.png

27022010009.png

27022010008.png

27022010007.png

27022010005.png

27022010004.png

27022010003.png

27022010002.png

27022010001.png

27022010015.png

Hi to all,

My name is Anestis and I am from Greece. I fount the site very usefull and I want to thank all of you for advises that giving. I recently bought a wooden boat with BMC 1500 diesel motor? Can you please help to find the type of engine using the below photo’s? The quality it is not good because I use my mobile phone to take.

If it is BMC can any body know the dimensions for the core plugs ? One start leaking and I want to replace all . I count 5 pieces. On weekend I will take some photos of the engine and I will post here for further help. The boat is from 1983 but I think the engine is older and needed to replace the head gasket and glow plugs.

Thank for your help.

Regards

Anestis

snip pictures

It is a BMC 1.5 diesel. the 1500D in the engine number confirms the pictures. You can download a manual from Calcutt Boats website and I am sure they can supply all the parts you need.

They may need the engine number because although the head gaskets are all the same the core plugs may be different from different applications for the base engine (Automotive, Industrial or Agricultural).

First step for bad starting is to remove the glowplugs and test across a good battery. Then use a drill bit about 0.5mm larger than the plug tip to clean the carbon from the holes.

Hi to all,

Thank for your help.

Regards

Anestis

Definitely a BMC 1500 diesel. MOWOG was a name that the engines were known by before the the British Motor Corporation was formed to unify the various motor car manufacturers under the one banner.

I'm not sure about the core plug sizes but it is a bit ironic as I have just thrown away a set of core plugs for a BMC 1800 diesel only the other day as I didn't need them any more and was having a clear out.

Roger

Hi Tony,

I will try carefully to remove the glow plugs because seems that they have not been removed for many years and I will try to clean the carbon from holes and also test the plugs. The engine number mentioned on a metalic card that is near the end of engine before the hydraulic box and is 15U/102/D 2437 (you can see it in first two photos).

Does anybody know if BMC engine number looks like that? The strange is that the engine do not have any oil filter and the fuel filter is on the front of the engine near the water pump. I have seen that all BMC engines have the fuel filter at the end of engine. I will try to take better photos next weekend.

Κουκουβάγια ,

Καλώς σας βρήκα ! :lol:

Hi Tony,

I will try carefully to remove the glow plugs because seems that they have not been removed for many years and I will try to clean the carbon from holes and also test the plugs. The engine number mentioned on a metalic card that is near the end of engine before the hydraulic box and is 15U/102/D 2437 (you can see it in first two photos).

Does anybody know if BMC engine number looks like that? The strange is that the engine do not have any oil filter and the fuel filter is on the front of the engine near the water pump. I have seen that all BMC engines have the fuel filter at the end of engine. I will try to take better photos next weekend.

Κουκουβάγια ,

Καλώς σας βρήκα ! :lol:

I, and I am sure others, do not need more pictures. It is a BMC 1.5 Diesel and as I said the specifications vary slightly depending upon what sector it was originally made for. I agree the lack of oil filter is odd but we are back to it's original job - even if it was marinised from new.

If it was from a Nuffield tractor (which, being painted red it may have been) I suspect the fuel tank may have obscured a rear mounted fuel filter so it was mounted at the front. However its not a major issue.

Then there is the question of who marinised it. All large number or people marinised them in the UK, including one-offs in their sheds. I am almost certain Westerbeaker (spelling) did them in North America and then there is the possibility it was done in Greece.

I am sure its a UK made base engine (later ones were made in India with the 1.8 in Turkey) because of the Mowog name. This was the old name that Morris Motors and then The British Motor Corporation used on their parts - just like Ford used Formoco. The engine number seems consistent with BMC numbering to me. However I would have expected it to be on the head or rocker cover but as I said there are so many variants and marinisers anything should be expected.

I recommended Calcutt rather than ASAP supplies or AMC/Thornycroft because this may be a low volume variant and I know there have been problems over core plug sizing. I also know some 1.5s used Welch plugs rather than core plugs so you need the best advice as you will be dealing internationally.

:lol:

MoWoG

Morris Wolseley Garages for the uniting of Morris, Wolseley and MG (Morris Garages)

Richard

Oh, FoMoCo. Ford Motor Company

Edited by RLWP