fuel filter/water separation

Grey Owl

Featured Posts

hi,

having trouble with my webasto and have discovered there maybe excess water in the fuel,

any suggestions on what type of fuel filter/water separation of to fit ,efficient and not over ex pence?

Tanks

Owl

Hi

Some thing like This but with a solid alumnium bowl - not with a glass/plastic bowl

Available from motor factors or chandlers.

Alex

Edited by steelaway

Hi

Some thing like This but with a solid alumnium bowl - not with a glass/plastic bowl

Available from motor factors or chandlers.

Alex

I was looking at one yesterday in a chandlers, with the aluminium bowl, that was £30. I have the CAV separator without the Delphi filter; I've been told I can dispense with part of the two part chamber and just replace it with the Delphi filter. I plan to do that at the next fuel filter change.

Are we talking about a water separator for the engine fuel supply or for the webasto, or both?

The diesel pipe from the tank to my engine has an inline separator and then fuel filter, but the other pipe to my eberspacher has nothing.

I keep the fuel in my tank topped up and treated with Marine 16.

Edited by blackrose

Are we talking about a water separator for the engine fuel supply or for the webasto, or both?

The diesel pipe from the tank to my engine has an inline separator and then fuel filter, but the other pipe to my eberspacher has nothing.

I keep the fuel in my tank topped up and treated with Marine 16.

Me too - must get some Marine 16 - where do you get yours ?

Nick

A marine engine repair place near me in Isleworth called Norris happens to sell it. Isn't it available online?

Thanks - I am sure it will be online somewhere - your post reminded me I must get some and I just wondered where you got yours...

Thanks,

Nick

I was looking at one yesterday in a chandlers, with the aluminium bowl, that was £30. I have the CAV separator without the Delphi filter; I've been told I can dispense with part of the two part chamber and just replace it with the Delphi filter. I plan to do that at the next fuel filter change.

Hold on a minute, I think we are talking about two different things here although they have many similarities.

The thing without a filter that may have a one or two part body is called a sedimentor and has an inverted cone inside it. This removes larger chunks of muck and about 80% of the water. The other 20% of the water will be in very small droplets.

The thing with the filter is an agglomerator and as is the case with most fuel filters it will agglomerate the small water droplets together and then drop them into the bowl. (operation explained on my website in the notes).

I have both fitted, sedimentor first, because I do not fancy water collecting in the base of the engine filter and then being shaken up on tick over. If you only want to fit one I would advise the sedimentor (no filter) because it is hard to block and the engine filter will deal with the rest of the water droplets, but either will do the job.

I am fairly sure the likes of Racor produce a unit that combines both functions.

Hi

See Ebay

Alex

Bear in mind that there are at least two Marine 16 diesel bug products. The one in Steelaway's link is the treatment for if you have diesel bug while the other one in the link below is a preventative.

http://shop.rivercanalrescue.co.uk/shop/Sh...t.aspx?Id=11786

Also here's a link to the Marine 16 website where there is a link to the PBO review of tests on additives to prevent and treat diesel bug. http://www.marine16.co.uk/acatalog/More_Info.html

Edited by blackrose