I got my roof on today

Biggles

Featured Posts

Hello Bob

ATM I think I have around 225m of single pass welding to do now to close it all off, then I can start cutting holes. Do you have any recommendations on plasma cutters?

Biggles

hi kev .thats a lot of welding even with a MIG.plasma. are you thinking of buying one or renting.if buying i can recommend . Hypertherm.i got the 350 on the truck and the 380 in the shop. good sets . 350. max good cut 6mm .slash cut 12mm .380. max good cut 12mm .slash cut 15 mm . all best Bob

hi kev .thats a lot of welding even with a MIG.plasma. are you thinking of buying one or renting.if buying i can recommend . Hypertherm.i got the 350 on the truck and the 380 in the shop. good sets . 350. max good cut 6mm .slash cut 12mm .380. max good cut 12mm .slash cut 15 mm . all best Bob

Thats just the welding I know about, of course there will be plenty more on things like hatches, water tank, etc.

Just looked at the price of Hypertherm............ Phew!! Where can you rent them? otherwise it will be an Ebay job.

Biggles

Thats just the welding I know about, of course there will be plenty more on things like hatches, water tank, etc.

Just looked at the price of Hypertherm............ Phew!! Where can you rent them? otherwise it will be an Ebay job.

Biggles

hi kev this may help http://www.fosterindustrial.co.uk/hire/

Edited by Bob the welder

Hi. We didn't use a plasma cutter, all our cutting was done with a 9" angle grinder or a jigsaw.

I very rarely use my plasma cutter now, use circular saw and 5" grinder with 1mm thick discs more than anything else. the 1mm discs are the best thing since sliced bread. Neither of those does curved cuts though.

Tim

I very rarely use my plasma cutter now, use circular saw and 5" grinder with 1mm thick discs more than anything else. the 1mm discs are the best thing since sliced bread. Neither of those does curved cuts though.

Tim

I use the jigsaw for any tight curves. Never used a circular saw to cut steel, how good are they?

Hi. We didn't use a plasma cutter, all our cutting was done with a 9" angle grinder or a jigsaw.

hi casper. i did to. i did the fit out frist then cut the windows out .didnt trust my measurements after boat total length BALLS UP. bob :lol:

Tim

yes the 1mm disces are good .but abit flopy at 9 " .how good is the circular saw ? bob

I use the jigsaw for any tight curves. Never used a circular saw to cut steel, how good are they?

I use the Evolution 7". They're good for up to 6mm, will actually cut 8mm, but the blade wear does make that a bit expensive at times. The 9" is alleged to knock spots off the 7". Blade wear is a lot less below 6mm. Only good for straight lines or extremely slight curves. With care and practice you can cut to within 0.5mm or less, better with a guide, leaves a clean edge with little or no further prepping required so time & money saved there.

Tim

yes the 1mm disces are good .but abit flopy at 9 " .how good is the circular saw ? bob

I didn't know they made them any bigger than 5", for that reason :lol:

Tim

I use the Evolution 7". They're good for up to 6mm, will actually cut 8mm, but the blade wear does make that a bit expensive at times. The 9" is alleged to knock spots off the 7". Blade wear is a lot less below 6mm. Only good for straight lines or extremely slight curves. With care and practice you can cut to within 0.5mm or less, better with a guide, leaves a clean edge with little or no further prepping required so time & money saved there.

Tim

I didn't know they made them any bigger than 5", for that reason :lol:

Tim

saw looks good i will go on net .yes they do a 6 and a 9 . 6 not to bad but if it snatches it rips the center out .the 9 i use IF I MUST. not nice. bob

Bob

I have taken a punt on this Linky

As it is only for a short term job I figure if the duty cycle is low as I suspect then so what, I can find something else to do while its cooling down. And if it sh*t it can go back.

Hopefully it will do the job.

Biggles

ok

Bob

I have taken a punt on this Linky

As it is only for a short term job I figure if the duty cycle is low as I suspect then so what, I can find something else to do while its cooling down. And if it sh*t it can go back.

Hopefully it will do the job.

Biggles

kev. it looks up to the job as you say it can go back .ok for 195 . hope it dose the job .bob

Bob. I ordered that last night and it has just arrived less than 12 hours later, but the chap only live 10 miles away, but still not bad service. Just hope it works as well. I have unpacked it and it looks like a good bit of kit. Time will tell.

Biggles

For cutting clean holes, in a 'previous life' I used to use a nibbler which makes a nice clean cut without risk to life and limb and without distortion. Never seen reference to one on this forum.

Chris - I've only ever seen the nibblers that car body repairers use. Do they make 'em with a capacity right up to 6mm steel and above?

Chris - I've only ever seen the nibblers that car body repairers use. Do they make 'em with a capacity right up to 6mm steel and above?

I had one that managed 3mm easily and 5mm if you were careful. It was 230V and was about twice the price of a good 9" grinder. But now I can't find anything on the web apart from this:

http://www.csunitec.com/corner-drills/port...ec24a0677b3faa0

I have just had a look at your Blog, well impressed mate :lol: , be good if i could find a similar unfinished shell.

I have used/got an evolution, dam fine saw all round i have cut concrete flags, 3mm mild steel and of course wood of all thicknesses upto 2", cant fault it, i supose it just the blades though. So very good bit of kit, if i ever get my own build goin gi will defo use it.

Whats wrong with the good old gas cutting gear, a whole lot cheaper, bit of slag but if if you get the knack, which aint to hard, its quick, and easy for all shapes and thickness upto 2", not that anyone will have a 2" bottom.

wayne :lol:

We cut 8mm with our 9" angle grinder, the discs cost less than a pound each and when they have worn down enough we could use them on the 4.5" grinder ..It doesn't take long to cut a fair length.

When I did Casper, I didn't have a 9" grinder and only used a 4.5" grinder and a 40 pound jigsaw and a hacksaw to cut all the angle ironetc. It was much harder work.

I have used gas to cut plenty of times, but the cost of the kit, then refills, etc. just make the Plasma a better solution and it is much more portable only weighing at about.10kg

I have not abandoned disk cutting by any means, just the Plasma will augment the tool box. I agree with the disk re-use and the new thin ones are brilliant!

Biggles

Edited by Biggles

I have used gas to cut plenty of times, but the cost of the kit, then refills, etc. just make the Plasma a better solution and it is much more portable only weighing at about.10kg

I have not abandoned disk cutting by any means, just the Plasma will augment the tool box. I agree with the disk re-use and the new thin ones are brilliant!

Biggles

I've been given some thin 9" discs which state on them that they are for cutting stainless steel, but they are very good for cutting mild steel too.