Cats meow

Wyn2joy

Featured Posts

If I'm away from the boat for any longer than overnight, Thea goes to the slammer*. No messing. For 10 quid it's worth the peace of mind.

* I am indebted to Dr Watson for adding this term to our family vocabulary. It describes perfectly how Thea feels on crunching up the drive to the cattery.

We've got reasonable neighbours who we can trust with a key, although if it's a two or three day trip we stack 'em up with loads of dried food and it's rare they've eaten it all by the time we get back. The mob rarely use the litter tray if the catflap's open and all in all I think they appreciate having the bed to themselves for a few days.

If we're away for more than a long weekend chancesare we're taking the boat with us so no worries there.

Our cat Henry was stray when he moved into our house 10 years later he moved with us onto our boat. He loved it, never allowed out at night he settled either in his basket or by the fire, loved cruiseing, jumped off at locks and ducked for bridges, swam in The Thames , The Nene and The K and A none by choice and never learnt to stop maiowing when in the water. Even made friends with a small wild rabbit we had for 2 years {another story} even letting the bunny share his basket during the evening. Henry was with us for 4 years on the boat. He always knew where the best moorings were, loved to sit in front of the automatic doors at B.H.S. in Banbury and watch them. The trees at Westmills by the lock in the middle of Newbury were another favorite. He is gone now but never forgotten. Bunny.

Hobbes is 11, is part Burmese and part B&W alleycat, and lived entirely indoors for eight years until last autumn we moved permanently on board. He's really interested in going outdoors every morning -- mostly to mow up grass along the towpath and to throw it up on the Persian carpet ten minutes later. So far he's still tied to using a cat tray ("What, do it under a bush!?"). But we're hoping to wean him of this when the weather gets better and we install a cat flap.

He isn't really bothered by the engine running, but is very wary of joggers. He isn't used to looking behind himself (nothing in carpeted suburbia ever attacked him from behind), so has been startled by dogs a couple of times as he's chewing up grass. Dogs are my main worry. So far the raised ridge of fur across his back and up his tail and a wild hiss gives him some breathing space to leap back into the bow.

All in all he's pretty laid-back -- which is a good thing on the canals I reckon. I look forward to seeing him asleep on the roof when it warms up. (It was flipping snowing again this morning in Apsley!)

What no-one seems to mention is what they do when they go on holiday. When we had a cat on land, the neighbours would pop in to feed our cat. When you're cc-ing it doesn't seem it would be so easy.

Do cat-parents use boarding kennels or what?

Big-John it depends how long I'm going on holiday for and where I'm moored at the time but so far I've used a combination of 'friend dropping round to feed her on the weekend' and 'week with the Cattery'. I'll farm her out to a friend who likes cat for a long weekend in April. Like anything when you CC, you adapt to the situation and do what's easiest/most financially vialbe and comfortable for all - including the cat.

Hobbes is 11, is part Burmese and part B&W alleycat, and lived entirely indoors for eight years until last autumn we moved permanently on board. He's really interested in going outdoors every morning -- mostly to mow up grass along the towpath and to throw it up on the Persian carpet ten minutes later. So far he's still tied to using a cat tray ("What, do it under a bush!?"). But we're hoping to wean him of this when the weather gets better and we install a cat flap.

He isn't really bothered by the engine running, but is very wary of joggers. He isn't used to looking behind himself (nothing in carpeted suburbia ever attacked him from behind), so has been startled by dogs a couple of times as he's chewing up grass. Dogs are my main worry. So far the raised ridge of fur across his back and up his tail and a wild hiss gives him some breathing space to leap back into the bow.

All in all he's pretty laid-back -- which is a good thing on the canals I reckon. I look forward to seeing him asleep on the roof when it warms up. (It was flipping snowing again this morning in Apsley!)

Hello Jim,

I love your description of Hobbes and I look forward to further installments on how he's settling in. Lucky you to be living out on the cut!

Wyn

Having posted in quite a blasé manor about hanging a few crates about, we have just had an awful experience; Sinbad has been wandering in and out all day, and learning his way around the pontoon. We were sat up having a glass of wine when we heard an awful screech, a bit like a bird being attacked. Within seconds we realised that it was Sinbad. We ran outside to find him thrashing about in the cut between our boat and next doors. He went under a couple of times but luckily I managed to drag him out. I didn't realise quite how much he means to us, I'm still bloody shaking!

Hopefully he'll learn from it but it has shocked quite a bit. If we hadn't been in he'd be gone I expect.

After drying him and paying quite a bit of attention he now looks like he's ready to start attacking our feet!

Don’t know how we'd be if we had kids!

Having posted in quite a blasé manor about hanging a few crates about, we have just had an awful experience; Sinbad has been wandering in and out all day, and learning his way around the pontoon. We were sat up having a glass of wine when we heard an awful screech, a bit like a bird being attacked. Within seconds we realized that it was Sinbad. We ran outside to find him thrashing about in the cut between our boat and next doors. He went under a couple of times but luckily I managed to drag him out. I didn't realize quite how much he means to us, I'm still bloody shaking!

Hopefully he'll learn from it but it has shocked quite a bit. If we hadn't been in he'd be gone I expect.

After drying him and paying quite a bit of attention he now looks like he's ready to start attacking our feet!

Don’t know how we'd be if we had kids!

How awful! I'm relieved to hear Sinbad still has a few lives left. So glad you were there to go to his rescue. Sounds like he bounced back quite quickly. Probably quicker than you! I wonder what he was up to just before he landed in the drink.

I have to say while I have many very good friends, Sianna is my house mate and my very best friend. When I was recuperating from surgery she refused to leave my side except to use the litter box and have a bite to eat; when I have to travel for work she climbs in my clothes bag and looks quite morose, and when I return home she rushes to say hello and then ignores me for my own good I expect. She wakes me up every morning with a gentle touch of her cold nose to my own, and when it's nice out she goes back and forth from the door to me as if to say, "Come out and let's have a walk together and see what we shall see." She keeps me company each spring and summer morning on the back stoop as I have my morning tea. We watch the world awaken together. I was a single parent of two children--now grown--and they were by far easier to look after because they could talk and gesture. I hate it when Sianna is ill and I don't know why. Cats are especially good about hiding it until whatever it is, becomes a crisis or an infection.

How awful! I'm relieved to hear Sinbad still has a few lives left. So glad you were there to go to his rescue. Sounds like he bounced back quite quickly. Probably quicker than you! I wonder what he was up to just before he landed in the drink.

I have to say while I have many very good friends, Sianna is my house mate and my very best friend. When I was recuperating from surgery she refused to leave my side except to use the litter box and have a bite to eat; when I have to travel for work she climbs in my clothes bag and looks quite morose, and when I return home she rushes to say hello and then ignores me for my own good I expect. She wakes me up every morning with a gentle touch of her cold nose to my own, and when it's nice out she goes back and forth from the door to me as if to say, "Come out and let's have a walk together and see what we shall see." She keeps me company each spring and summer morning on the back stoop as I have my morning tea. We watch the world awaken together. I was a single parent of two children--now grown--and they were by far easier to look after because they could talk and gesture. I hate it when Sianna is ill and I don't know why. Cats are especially good about hiding it until whatever it is, becomes a crisis or an infection.

I think he was jumping between boats and missed Judged it. Still, all cool now. cheers

• 2 months later...
Guest wanted

Having posted on this thread back in Feb when Sinbad last fell in, I just thought I’d update his life tally! So, the 1st time he fell in was in Feb, he was then found by a neighbor clinging to a rudder in April and then this evening we heard the not so unfamiliar splash and meow again!

This time he managed to swim quite well and although I reached in and grabbed him, he was strong enough to run up my arm and bolt back on board.

We’re are now trying to find the balance between quality of life (ie freedom) and imposed preservation (ie curfew)

oh the joy's of cat ownership! :lol:

Guest wanted
That's a long time for the poor cat to be in the water. Didn't you wonder where he was? :lol:

Damn you! I thought I'd done so well! back to skool me finks :lol:

Having posted on this thread back in Feb when Sinbad last fell in, I just thought I’d update his life tally! So, the 1st time he fell in was in Feb, he was then found by a neighbor clinging to a rudder in April and then this evening we heard the not so unfamiliar splash and meow again!

This time he managed to swim quite well and although I reached in and grabbed him, he was strong enough to run up my arm and bolt back on board.

We’re are now trying to find the balance between quality of life (ie freedom) and imposed preservation (ie curfew)

oh the joy's of cat ownership! :lol:

LOL!

Clinging to the rudder sounds a bit dangerous. I wonder if this is the feline equivalent of climbing the highest peak, diving the deepest wrecks, etc. By any chance is Sinbad an adrenaline junkie?

Cheers,

Win2joy

When our boat is finally finished, we plan to spend weekends and the odd week here and there aboard, and our big fat ginger cat will come with us. He's pretty resilliant, having been found as a stray, and then travelled half-way round the world with us, including a 6 month spell in quarantine on our return to the UK. He sulked majorly over that!! I know he can swim (as well as cats can) from previous experience, and we spent ages looking for the right mooring, away from the road without hordes of people tramping up and down the towpath all the time, so that he'll have a relatively quiet and safe area to prowl around in.

I know he won't like the engine noise, as he's afraid of the dustcart and hides under the sofa every week when it comes, but cats are pretty adaptable, and once he's worked it all out and has found his routine - he really likes routine - I think he'll be fine. He has no interest in going out at night (not that we let him anyway), preferring to sleep on the bed with us.

Sad I know, but he has his own blog - he's got lots of friends!! - www.pussinboats.blogspot.com.

Guest wanted
LOL!

Clinging to the rudder sounds a bit dangerous. I wonder if this is the feline equivalent of climbing the highest peak, diving the deepest wrecks, etc. By any chance is Sinbad an adrenaline junkie?

Cheers,

Win2joy

He is for about 20 minutes a day,the rest of the time he is very much a lazy bugger! Although now you come to mention it, he is walking around, strutting his stuff like the big 'I am' now!

Brilliant, I have a cat with a massive ego, two thirds of his lives gone and no balance! :lol:

:lol:

We took two three month old kittens aboard just over two years ago, they seem to live a lovely life, roaming, hunting and playing all along the canal wherever we've cruised but two weeks ago we lost one of them when she tried to cross a busy road near Langleybury early one morning. We'd never moored there before and I guess we were just too near to the busy A41. Its heart breaking and we miss her lots but you'd never want to lock cats like these in the boat, they just loved the outdoors. So cats and boats are great together but busy roads are to be avoided.

Les

• 1 month later...
Guest wanted

Well, seems like a good place to keep you up to speed with the misadventures of Sindbad!

So, sat in the boat, posting music in another thread when I here the monthly meow, splash! now, it's a hot day and I had just got up so I had now’t on! dashing to find something to save my blushes, in flies sindbad, soaking wet, whizzes passed me and straight under the bed. Bad news, he fell in, Great news, he can get himself out! :lol:

What no-one seems to mention is what they do when they go on holiday. When we had a cat on land, the neighbours would pop in to feed our cat. When you're cc-ing it doesn't seem it would be so easy.

Do cat-parents use boarding kennels or what?

But we also have boating neighbours who do the same thing - I guess it helps if you have a permanent mooring but even CCer's have some friends - don't they?

We took two three month old kittens aboard just over two years ago, they seem to live a lovely life, roaming, hunting and playing all along the canal wherever we've cruised but two weeks ago we lost one of them when she tried to cross a busy road near Langleybury early one morning. We'd never moored there before and I guess we were just too near to the busy A41. Its heart breaking and we miss her lots but you'd never want to lock cats like these in the boat, they just loved the outdoors. So cats and boats are great together but busy roads are to be avoided.

Les

SO very sorry to hear this :lol: It reinforces the overly protective mooring choices I've been making for Lola though I guess). Hope you are all well otherwise.

SO very sorry to hear this :lol: It reinforces the overly protective mooring choices I've been making for Lola though I guess). Hope you are all well otherwise.

Indeed! 'GC' usually dictates our mooring choices but they are not always to his liking because he definitely prefers urban sites with lots of interesting derelict buildings - preferably near a railway!

Our cat "cardi" had its first dipping about 4am this morning, he wasnt impressed

I bet he impressed you with how well he could swim though. Even if it wasn't his idea of fun.

Tony

After following blogs, reading Canal Boat and Waterways magazine and checking out this forum I have come to the conclusion that dogs aboard are fairly common. What about cats? Do you let them out? Will they come back? Does one have to worry about them being eaten by owls? (We have to worry about owls and coyotes here.) I don't think the U.K. has any really large four legged carnivores in the woods that fancy cats though does it? If one does let them out while moored up what about rows with dogs along the tow path? I cannot imagine a home without a cat, but I still cannot quite figure out continuous cruising with cats aboard unless one kept them inside all the time which is hard to do. :lol:

I've met loads of CCers with cats. They seem very at home... one everyone's boat! I've also known one housecat who was moved aboard a boat and didn't take to it so well. Fell in, rarely went out etc. However he may have settled in by now.

I bet he impressed you with how well he could swim though. Even if it wasn't his idea of fun.

Tony

The biggest problem we have when 'GC' falls in is that, after he has got out again, he goes to the place where he feels warmest and most comfortable!

Suddenly finding a cat, soaked with filthy canal water, in your bed can be a bit unwelcome!

The biggest problem we have when 'GC' falls in is that, after he has got out again, he goes to the place where he feels warmest and most comfortable!

Suddenly finding a cat, soaked with filthy canal water, in your bed can be a bit unwelcome!

We walked past your boat Tuesday evening when we were in Cropredy and saw your cat taking the evening air (no sign of his pets though) - he is a big old boy - I would imagine he would make quite a splash falling in!

We walked past your boat Tuesday evening when we were in Cropredy and saw your cat taking the evening air (no sign of his pets though) - he is a big old boy - I would imagine he would make quite a splash falling in!

We couldn't have been far away - not with me having my leg in plaster!

Probably already in bed . . .

We've had Bailey for 2 years now, as we've said on here before, he's fallen in more times than we know but we have now discovered why.

He has been officially diagnosed as a spastic! The vet called it cerebellum hypoplasia, but it amounts to the same thing. The back part of his brain is under developed, this is usually caused by mum getting a virus while pregnant which affects the growth of the kittens. :lol:

He looks like a fool when he's walking, has no sense of balance, falls over on a level floor, not to mention when he jumps off the bed, but we love him! :lol:

Kenny and Bailey - guess who's the boss?

33js4th.jpg

Purple Fairy