12v laptop adapter

becki

Featured Posts

Hello there. My inverter is using so much battery power I would love to charge my laptop through a 12v adapter, but all I can find online are car adapters, which plug into cigar lighters. Not having a cigar lighter on the boat, I look to you for solutions...!?

Hello there. My inverter is using so much battery power I would love to charge my laptop through a 12v adapter, but all I can find online are car adapters, which plug into cigar lighters. Not having a cigar lighter on the boat, I look to you for solutions...!?

Put a plug on and connect to your 12v system

Sue

thanks very much. so simple!!

If you are going direct to your laptop from a 12 volt supply you will need to make sur eit is regulated. An unregulated 12 volt supply will damage thecomputer with the potential to be terminal.

How do you charge your batteries onboard at the moment??

Kind Regards,

Mike Hancox,

MCH Marine Electrics.

I note Maplin do three 12 volt power supplies for laptops Maplin 12v power supply seems a little odd since two are same price but one is twice the size to other. Most laptops need more than 12V so unlikely you could ever use one without some form of inverter to adjust the voltage.

I use a cheap 150W inverter in my car for laptop and have found no problems. But laptops can still draw 3 amp and at 19V that's more like 5 amp from battery so not likely to be much saving using small 230v inverter and standard laptop power supply and using special laptop inverter. My thoughts were I could used 230v inverter for other things as well. Soldering iron for example.

I was looking at 12v adaptor for desktop the other day my son sent me link. But what happens when it goes wrong. Most PC repairers have not 12v on there work stations to test it with so not really sold with idea. I know we hope it will not go wrong but think it must be considered.

....... ooops sorry! ..... I totally misunderstood the title and hit reply before questioning what I'd read ..............

12 Volt Laptop Dancer.

Sure it would be 5 volt you can get all sorts today that plugs into USB. I have little fish tank with plastic fish.

What brand of Laptop - I seem to remember something about newer Dell laptops being "locked" so that

they will only work with a genuine dell psu, though I think there was also something about getting

round the problem but it involved butchering the original psu.

Otherwise yes fit a cig lighter socket or three to use for all those other things that fit into them.

springy

You may find that you use as much battery power from a 12v supply, with the necessary associated regulators etc, as you do via your inverter. Inverters aren't as inefficent as a lot of people think.