New Member on CWDF

nb celestine

Featured Posts

Hi everyone, Our names are Paul and Kath and we have been reading this forum for a few weeks now so we thought we would make ourselves known.

We bought our narrowboat Celestine at the end of September from Mercia Marina and because we both live in Cornwall we thought Foxhanger's at Devizes would be as short a drive as we could get. Still 3 hour's though. So I set off single handed from Mercia and headed for Oxford where Kath and our ageing but young at heart Springer Spaniel called Daniel would meet me to do the last leg to Devize's.

I would like to thank Rod and especially Doug from Mercia for the simple advice to not rush things and enjoy the journey. Wise man!!!

The help I received when boater's found I was single handed was gratefully appreciated and I had an absolute ball all the way. I especially liked the challenge of planning the trip to end the evening near a pub. But being a Geordie builder this was second nature.!

After picking Kath and Dan up at Oxford we had a leisurely trip down the Thame's then on to the K and A. Now, after single locks, those on the K and A were real eye-opener's. I could here Doug in my ear; " Just take your time, Paul".

Anyway, to cut a very long story short. Thanks to everyone. Even BW who back dated our licence a couple of weeks so we could set off earlier and miss any stoppages. A 2 and a half week trip in all.

I'd better sign off now. I don't even know if I'm clever enough to post this. If it doesn't get to you, please let me know.

PS.

I know some will be thinking; I'll give them a year. Some will be saying; go for it. All I can say is you only come this way once and if you don't try, you don,t know, and as soon as I can get my 20 year old twins to leave home the sooner we can get the For Sale sign up.

Welcome to the forum :lol:

You've got exactly the right attitude so you should do fine - enjoy every minute of it.

We left our 21 year old with his grandparents and let the house out last year :lol:

Im 22 and still here...

- Well actaully, 60% of the year im at uni, as has been the case for the last five years, next year however its a toss up between moving back home (cheaper) and getting a house/flat somewhere (prefered choice, now im used to the space)

Daniel

Hey Paul and Kath!! Good to know you arrived safely. We knew each other at Mercia for a couple of short weeks before you set off so it's great to know the trip went well. Mercia was amazing during the artic spell - nothing moved for a good two weeks. I'll have a word with Doug when I'm down there on Thursday and make sure he knows that he was at the tiller alongside you!! We are still happily getting to know our nb (the other one you had your eyes on) and we're looking forward to some Spring crusing.

Jo :lol: