Selling our boat

tomandsophie

Featured Posts

In the meantime though, I'm just trying to figure out if it's worth going through a broker or not. I'm not sure I can justify the £5000+ that they're going to charge.

Set the price through the brokerage £5k higher :lol:

Tony

Hmm, interesting. Thanks for the delicately-put advice about price Alan, but we have set the price at a level that we consider to be right for our boat.

Yes, sorry, delicacy was seldom my strong point. :lol:

To be clear though, which price ?

The one you advertised initially.

The considerably lower one you advertised "for a quick sale".

The statement you would consider lower reasonable offers, (sorry have not re-checked your exact wording on this).

I personally consider that's too many mixed messages, but you know your boat, and I do not, so I genuinely hope you get the best result you can.

If a broker was to bring anything to the equation, setting the price realistically is very important, IMO.

That depends on the broker surely? We're looking to buy at the moment and I haven't seen many boats on brokerage that were on at anything like a reasonable price - and several which have been there for many months gradually reducing to still unrealistic levels. We're not looking at more expensive boats so maybe there is a difference at the top end of the market, but the only sensibly priced boats we've seen have been from private sellers (along with many of the ridiculously priced ones, of course).

Brokers have the same incentives as estate agents to value your boat high to get the custom and then drop the price when it doesn't sell. And they're not necessarily adjusting well to market conditions. When we sold our house last year, only one of the estate agents we saw had come to terms with the state of the market - the others gave us valuations that were laughably optimistic. I've seen nothing on Apollo Duck to suggest that boat brokers are doing any better.

Does anybody have any really positive (or negative of course) experiences of brokerages? Any recommendations or otherwise would be much appreciated.

Speaking as a prospective buyer the current brokers web site I visit the most and who seem to go the extra mile in presenting the owners boats for sale is

ABNB

Yours does sound like the type of boat they would be able to take on to sell.

Edited by MJG

As a seller, I can't fault Andy Burnett's. They sold our last boat to the first couple who viewed it, for almost the stated asking price, so obviously they have the knack of matching people to boats.

Be warned, if you are thinking of buying from them, that their stance (as explained to me by their chap Paul a couple of years ago) is that they price their boats realistically and thus are not usually receptive to lower offersa.

Whoops, that last bit should have read "lower offers". They are not Italians.

Speaking as a prospective buyer the current brokers web site I visit the most and who to seem to go the extra mile in presenting the owners boats for sale is

ABNB

Yours does sound like the type of boat they would be able to take on to sell.

....and you could probably arrange to stay living on board at your present location, you wouldn't be able to get it to Crick. I eventually bought through ABNB as they were far more professional, friendly and helpful than any other.

As a seller, I can't fault Andy Burnett's. They sold our last boat to the first couple who viewed it, for almost the stated asking price, so obviously they have the knack of matching people to boats.

Be warned, if you are thinking of buying from them, that their stance (as explained to me by their chap Paul a couple of years ago) is that they price their boats realistically and thus are not usually receptive to lower offersa.

Whoops, that last bit should have read "lower offers". They are not Italians.

They are nice people though - we called in on our way back from holiday Nov last year and even though we explained we were not actually in the market he took the time to show us the type of boat our anticipated budget would buy....

err that reads as if I don't think Italians are nice people which of course they are (Visions of waking up next to a horses head on my pillow there for a sec.)