Pics of earth bonding points

dcs

Featured Posts

Hi,

Hoping for a bit more help from those in the know...

I've read Gibbo's advice about earth bonding (http://www.smartgauge.co.uk/earthing.html) and will follow it, but before I drill a hole in one of the steel floor bearers I was hoping to have a look at pics of other people's hull / earth bonding point.

Also, just to check I understood right - for a set-up with generator AC power and DC system (no shore power) - I would bond the AC earth and neutral to the hull and also, the DC neutral. Are these all connected to the hull at a single point?

Thanks so much,

David

There's an argument for connecting AC earth and DC negative to ajacent but separate studs. In the unlikley event that a single stud became separated from the hull, either physically or by the insulating effect of corrosion, then an AC fault to the earth wire could put your DC system at mains voltage without tripping an RCD

There's an argument for connecting AC earth and DC negative to ajacent but separate studs. In the unlikley event that a single stud became separated from the hull, either physically or by the insulating effect of corrosion, then an AC fault to the earth wire could put your DC system at mains voltage without tripping an RCD

I believe they are supposed to be pretty close, but I'm in favour of separation for clarity, then when your feeling around in the dark you don't get confused!

My DC earth is bonded at the back of the engine to the bearer and the AC at the front (nearer the AC stuff). I'll be alright so long as the engine bearer is never detached from the hull!

..... hoping to have a look at pics of other people's hull / earth bonding point.

Also, just to check I understood right - for a set-up with generator AC power and DC system (no shore power) - I would bond the AC earth and neutral to the hull and also, the DC neutral. Are these all connected to the hull at a single point?

Thanks so much,

David

Here's a pic of mine - a 25mm x 6mm x 600mm copper bar to which DC negs, consumer side of DC shunts, AC earth cables and prop shaft earth bond are bolted. Ground bar

Here is a pic from a mag article a couple of years ago about boat wiring and earth bonding. It's a single point earth point fixed to an engine bearer.

eartbondij1.jpg

By churchward at 2009-02-08

This is OK, but would be better with the standard label " Safety Electrical Earth Do Not Remove". These can be found as a metal tag on the pipe clamp type of domestic earthing point.

N

What a great idea N, as I was recently converted to hull earth bonding, I will seize this with suitable zeal

Good Lord - was there a sudden flash of light and a sonorous voice from the skies PB?

Richard