Adding remote control ?

Nickhlx

Featured Posts

I was wondering if anyone had added a remote control to their boat ?

I envisage a small portable box, with a radio link, a 3 position switch ( centre off) for forward, neutral and aft, a slider pot ( or multi turn pot ) for engine revs, and a biased-to-centre lever controlling synchronous motors for steering ( with trimpots to "trim" it ).

Possibly another centre-biased switch for bowthrusters if you have them...

I have not yet dabbled with radio-control, but it seems, electronically quite simple - mechanically a bit more involved.

The object ? To allow operation from the fore-deck, or from a deck-chair on the roof, of course !! ( as it's virtually silent in comparison ) :lol:

Apart from watching peoples faces as a boat goes by without someone at the helm.... :lol::lol:

Nick

I saw a radio controlled narrowboat many years ago on the southern GU.

Only saw it once and don't remember anything else about it although a colleague said it was well known at the time.

Great ! - That's encouraging then... Thanks guys...

Pint, Willawaw ? :lol:

Nick

Edited by Nickhlx

Vetus do some remote control gear, but its not radio controlled, but it could probably be combined with R/C. It s base to work from.

Let me know when you have worked it all out and you can come and do mine. PM if you do get anywhere with it.

Biggles

Haven't got the details to hand (no-doubt someone will come along with the chap's name) but I have seen it in action and the controls all default to OFF/neutral in case of failure.

Edwin Fasham, boat called Ferrous. Does a lot with Gardner engines

Andrew

I saw one in action on the 'locks and Quays' or' Waterworld' program a few months back (Discovery Real Time)..

He had a radio handset and put the boat into a lock from the bank......Had designed it himself.

There are a few 'joystcik controlled' boats about...(Whitefield...which has CCTV cameras and joystick repeat so you can sit in the cratch with a G&T and steer !!) so I suppose its just the next step.

I saw Whitefiled zig-zagging down a canal and thought what a good idea it was !

Bob

""I saw Whitefiled zig-zagging down a canal and thought what a good idea it was !""

Hmm. For the amount of money that cost they could have got a Filipino crew for less than the remote controlss I bet, and they would steer a straight course.

(Other maritime nationalities also available)

Biggles

I have a remote control on my narrowboat. I need it because I do a lot of locks single handed. It is about twenty feet long, black and made of rope. It often referred to by its more popular name - centre line!

I love gadgets - but radio remote control is a gadget too far!

Edited by WJM

There was a remote control NB moored near me for a while, he had only just got it all running and was having all sorts of issues with the steering, it would work ok(ish) with the remote (it lacked much if any fine control) But not very well by hand, the steering was very heavy and took too long to convert from manual to remote control to be of any real use.

Real fun and games were had whilst locking, the control line was always catching on the gates and bollards and from what I saw i'd imagine you would need to carry a few spares on a long trip.

If I had to design a remote controlled narrow boat I might decide to fit hydraulic thrusters fore and aft for the remote control steering and leave the rudder well alone for simplicity.

Paul

I saw one in action on the 'locks and Quays' or' Waterworld' program a few months back (Discovery Real Time)..

He had a radio handset and put the boat into a lock from the bank......Had designed it himself.

There are a few 'joystcik controlled' boats about...(Whitefield...which has CCTV cameras and joystick repeat so you can sit in the cratch with a G&T and steer !!) so I suppose its just the next step.

I saw Whitefiled zig-zagging down a canal and thought what a good idea it was !

Bob

As a relative newby I thought it looked great as other half didnt do locks at the time! Called LockMate (gizmo, not wife) Try this link- http://www.merlynfarwell.co.uk/inventingto...rsLockmate.html