Vintage Engine

andywatson

Featured Posts

Guest wanted

The engine on ours is a Coventry Diesel, I know nothing about engines but want to learn a bit, the only number I could find on it was 1208 122 000 808 (or 303!) I typed this into the engine search site that is posted in this thread and it came up with 1923! I was told it was old but really?

Anyone know a bit more than me about em? (won't not be too hard!)

cheers

Rob

The engine on ours is a Coventry Diesel, I know nothing about engines but want to learn a bit, the only number I could find on it was 1208 122 000 808 (or 303!) I typed this into the engine search site that is posted in this thread and it came up with 1923! I was told it was old but really?

Anyone know a bit more than me about em? (won't not be too hard!)

cheers

Rob

April 1947 2LW originally for derreck use on a vessel

Not one of the polishing brigade I'm afraid, but it's always started & I've spent nothing in 3 years plus apart from oil changes.

When everything else on the boat is fixed then maybe some cleaning polishing might happen, well maybe, unless there's somewhere we havent been yet...

For anyone interested in such things and in the South Manchester / Poynton area the Anson engine museum is well worth a visit, lots of working units, cut aways, great help & advice & a grave yard to wonder around.

Steve

• 2 weeks later...
Hailwood did win that race ('67 Senior TT) when Ago's chain broke, but with 122 GP wins and 15 world titles, Agostini has to be the best of all time. (Plus, even at the age of 68, he is still a good looking bloke. :lol: ) Anyone who likes the sound of a good engine, you should not miss those 500cc MVs.

Spot on. I was there!!! And still have the Sound Stories double album - commentary by Peter Arnold. The sound of Pasolini's Benelli four was also quite awesome. Hailwood won, but had trouble with the bikes - the Honda's just didn't handle. In the Senior Ago lapped at just over 108mph for the first three laps, and 106.72 on the fourth. Hailwood was close behind but fractionally slower. Had Ago gone on, he would have won. Brilliant riders both. But for sound pleasure - not much to beat those three pot MV's - even the modern ones have it, yet I wouldn't give you tuppence for the three pot Laverda.

In the 350, it was Hailwood the faster - lapping at just over 104, to Ago's 102 overall.

To be emotionally dead to the sound of such machines - you must be dead from the neck up.

Derek

Edited by Derek R.

To be emotionally dead to the sound of such machines - you must be dead from the neck up.

or own a GRP,

or both.....

runs

drops coat :lol:

Edited by matty40s