Alvechurch owners

FrigateCaptain

Featured Posts

Hey, just thought it'd be a good idea to have a Ex-ABC hire thread so we can help each other with any probs that might arise.

I'll start off........

Our alde heater is'nt heating all the radiators on the boat, the header tank is full, the pumps working fine and i've bled all the radiators but

Still we have only hot ratiators in the center bedroom, and the two bathrooms (the closest ones to the heater)

Any ideas as to what the problem might be?

Hey, just thought it'd be a good idea to have a Ex-ABC hire thread so we can help each other with any probs that might arise.

I'll start off........

Our alde heater is'nt heating all the radiators on the boat, the header tank is full, the pumps working fine and i've bled all the radiators but

Still we have only hot ratiators in the center bedroom, and the two bathrooms (the closest ones to the heater)

Are you sure the pumps working fine? The impeller might be damaged or could have spun off. :lol: Although there will probably a more simple explaination so probably best to wait for a few more suggestions..

Are you sure the pumps working fine? The impeller might be damaged or could have spun off. :lol: Although there will probably a more simple explaination so probably best to wait for a few more suggestions..

Sounds fine?.... not had it off to check but it just seems the waters getting cold before it gets round, only running the gas on mark 4 mind

How are your radiators plumbed together? Ours are the simplest possible method - a pipe into the first radiator, then another out of that and into the next and so on. The whole lot are a big daisy chain all round the boat.

There are other, more sensible ways of plumbing radiators

Richard

How are your radiators plumbed together? Ours are the simplest possible method - a pipe into the first radiator, then another out of that and into the next and so on. The whole lot are a big daisy chain all round the boat.

There are other, more sensible ways of plumbing radiators

Richard

Same as yours Richard

Same as yours Richard

Then, ours take ages to warm up, and warm in the order you have identified - the ones nearest the boiler first then the next and so on. After an hour they may all be warm.

I did say there are more sensible ways of plumbing radiators...

Richard

If all the radiators are linked one to another in series and the pump is pumping properly (not just motor running) you must have blocked or broken radiator valves somewhere. Our boat has an Alde boiler with radiators in series and it works perfectly if the wall thermostat is set to a reasonable temperature.

If all the radiators are linked one to another in series and the pump is pumping properly (not just motor running) you must have blocked or broken radiator valves somewhere. Our boat has an Alde boiler with radiators in series and it works perfectly if the wall thermostat is set to a reasonable temperature.

as far as i can see, we have no valves on the Rad's, thermostat is set sky high

as far as i can see, we have no valves on the Rad's, thermostat is set sky high

You have a number of radiators that get hot. Is the last one in the chain the one in the room where the thermostat is?

Richard

You have a number of radiators that get hot. Is the last one in the chain the one in the room where the thermostat is?

Richard

We have 3 that get hot but the floor level ones in the dinner and the one in the stern are U/S, contols in the kitchen near the floor thingy.

I think the genral feeling is that a 20 year old alde is a big pile of gay, we will be changing to a solid fuel stove and boiler in the summer! lol

We have 3 that get hot but the floor level ones in the dinner and the one in the stern are U/S, contols in the kitchen near the floor thingy.

I think the genral feeling is that a 20 year old alde is a big pile of gay, we will be changing to a solid fuel stove and boiler in the summer! lol

Why in the summer?

We've got a ten year old Aldi and it's fine if a tad slow at heating the whole boat up. So long as we are wide awake it sometimes gets supplemented with the cooker rings.

I haven't actually checked but I don't think our Aldi is gay though, celibate more like as it never gets to meet other boilers.

Phylis, change systems in the summer as you don't need heating at all then

It's about the same age as ours, and that's quite capable of making our 70' boat warm.

The floor level finrad ones are probably full of fluff and spiders webs - ours are...

Richard

It's about the same age as ours, and that's quite capable of making our 70' boat warm.

The floor level finrad ones are probably full of fluff and spiders webs - ours are...

Richard

Does yours scoff gas like a yank does burgers? the wife wants it gone compleatly but i want to keep it as its nice to keep working boats as they were lol

Does yours scoff gas like a yank does burgers? the wife wants it gone compleatly but i want to keep it as its nice to keep working boats as they were lol

Hey, heat costs money no matter which way you do it

Richard

Unless you go faggoting wood I suppose

Hey, heat costs money no matter which way you do it

Richard

Unless you go faggoting wood I suppose

Indeed, i think the problem is we arnt turning up the gas enough, we used 1 and a half bottle in 4 weeks, and no, we have no plans of nicking wood lol

Is there a dedicated forum to these beautiful examples of floating engineering?

Indeed, i think the problem is we arnt turning up the gas enough, we used 1 and a half bottle in 4 weeks, and no, we have no plans of nicking wood lol

Is there a dedicated forum to these beautiful examples of floating engineering?

This is it. So far there's you and me.

Richard

We've got a ten year old Aldi and it's fine if a tad slow at heating the whole boat up. So long as we are wide awake it sometimes gets supplemented with the cooker rings.

I haven't actually checked but I don't think our Aldi is gay though, celibate more like as it never gets to meet other boilers.

Funny that this has come up today. I have been curious how to pronounce Alde, knowing it is a Swedish name, actually the forename of its inventor. I wondered whether it is Al -day, Al -di, Al-der, Al-du, or what? So I emailed Alde yesterday to ask and they quickly replied that it is pronounced Al-deh. I could still do with hearing somebody say it in Swedish!

Mine is a 2928, about 15 years old and I hardly ever use it, but when I do it behaves very well. It only feeds one radiator in the bedroom though, or if I turn the radiator off it will heat the water in the calorifier. It's a well adjusted, blue blooded, Swedish heterosexual.

Are ABC Alde heaters a unique design?

No, but they are often the old, non-room sealed ones. Ours is anyway. Occasionally rust drops down the chimbley and settles on the burner.

Richard

Funny that this has come up today. I have been curious how to pronounce Alde, knowing it is a Swedish name, actually the forename of its inventor. I wondered whether it is Al -day, Al -di, Al-der, Al-du, or what? So I emailed Alde yesterday to ask and they quickly replied that it is pronounced Al-deh. I could still do with hearing somebody say it in Swedish!

Mine is a 2928, about 15 years old and I hardly ever use it, but when I do it behaves very well. It only feeds one radiator in the bedroom though, or if I turn the radiator off it will heat the water in the calorifier. It's a well adjusted, blue blooded, Swedish heterosexual.

Like Sven, who stands in for Samantha on "I'm sorry I haven't a clue?"

Richard