Honda EU20i 'real life' fuel consumption

Jim and Paula

Featured Posts

I am considering buying a Honda EU20i generator, mostly for equalisation charges but also to run other equipment on occasion. I am aware that the EU10i would probably do the equalisation charging role but if I am laying out the money on a new generator, I would rather spend the extra and have the additional capacity that the EU20 provides.

My question: What is the ‘real’ fuel consumption that can be expected from the EU20 when running at say 300W load (I expect that my equalisation charge will be in the order of 10Amps into the batteries as that is about what I see now).

The sales blurb on the EU20 says that it will run for 15 hours on a 4.1 litre tank full when in Eco mode but I don’t really understand what that means in relation to load????

Many thanks in advance.

Go for the EU20. It gives you a lot more flexibility to run things like power tools, vacuum cleaners , microwaves etc.

The Eco mode means that the genny runs slower at lower load (also a lot quieter) while still achieving a normal output (voltage and frequency). It regulates the speed dependent on load.

You can switch it to 'rabbit' mode which means that the control system runs the genny at full speed. Handy if you know you are going to put a large instantaneous load on the genny all at once.

We tried a Honda EU10i plugged in to our Victron Multiplus to charge batteries but Victron wouldn't accept it as it isn't a true 1kW, but an EU20i was ok.

Consequently we eventually bought a Kipor 2kW, identical to EU20i, and for a prolonged absorption charge to equalise with genny on tickover from the start, half a tank of petrol (1.9 lt) lasts 7- 8 hours. If we do our daily charge from genny instead of main engine (1.5 to 2hrs) then half a tank of petrol lasts approx 3 hrs

Edited by nb Innisfree

After searching have found that the 10.5Hrs run time is when in 'Eco mode' and quarter load, about 400watts as the generator is rated at 1600 watts continuous.

At the flick of a switch this feature only runs the engine as fast as the load demands, enabling the EU20i to run for over ten hours on a single tank of fuel @ 1/4 load , with minimal noise and fuel cost and maximum engine life.

Jim and Paula

Reading between the lines and probably getting it wrong :lol: , you do realise that a charger is required as well as the generator.

Hi Keith,

I should have mentioned, I have 50Amp and a 30Amp Sterling Pro-Digital chargers that I normaly run from the engine mounted 3kW Travel Power setup. I can also run the chargers from the shore power connection which is where the Honda will be used. I intend to bring the batteries up to close to full charge using the engine then switch to the Honda for the longer equilisation charge.

I was concerned about the Honda petrol consumption when running for the long equilisation period.

Edited to add: The battery bank consists of 6 110A/hr batteries and we are live aboards. The bank is now 3 years old and will soon need replacing. I intend to look after the new bank a bit better than I have looked after the current ones - hence the periodic equilisation charges.

Edited by Jim and Paula

Hi Keith,

I should have mentioned, I have 50Amp and a 30Amp Sterling Pro-Digital chargers that I normaly run from the engine mounted 3kW Travel Power setup. I can also run the chargers from the shore power connection which is where the Honda will be used. I intend to bring the batteries up to close to full charge using the engine then switch to the Honda for the longer equilisation charge.

I was concerned about the Honda petrol consumption when running for the long equilisation period.

Edited to add: The battery bank consists of 6 110A/hr batteries and we are live aboards. The bank is now 3 years old and will soon need replacing. I intend to look after the new bank a bit better than I have looked after the current ones - hence the periodic equilisation charges.

Hi

it might be worth having a look at the Edge Technologies Website. We got one from them with a gas conversion IIRC running on gas was considerably cheaper than petrol and petrol is even more expensive now than when we bought our

EU20i

John

Hi

it might be worth having a look at the Edge Technologies Website. We got one from them with a gas conversion IIRC running on gas was considerably cheaper than petrol and petrol is even more expensive now than when we bought our

EU20i

John

Thanks John, I will give that some thought.

Knew I got it wrong. :lol:

Not knowing the loading that the chargers will put on the generator but if it is 400watts, or less, then you would get 10Hrs from a tank.

I have not checked the tank size but if it was 5 Litres then consumption would be 0.5 Litres per hour, with petrol at say £1.10 a litre that is £0.55 per hour.

Not trying to teach egg sucking. :lol:

Knew I got it wrong. :lol:

Not knowing the loading that the chargers will put on the generator but if it is 400watts, or less, then you would get 10Hrs from a tank.

I have not checked the tank size but if it was 5 Litres then consumption would be 0.5 Litres per hour, with petrol at say £1.10 a litre that is £0.55 per hour.

Not trying to teach egg sucking. :lol:

Hi Bottle

According to my information the tank size on the EU20i is 3.7 ltr which would bring the cost down to GBP 0 .41 per hour based on your consumption figures.

If I am reading Jim and Paula correctly, they have identified the model they wish to aquire ie Hondq EU20i and their concern is the running cost which you are addressing.

Edge Technologies website states that LPG provides a 50% saving against petrol and whilst there is a cost for the conversion that would be recovered in approx 137 ltrs at today's prices, assuming their statement to be correct.

The conversion enables you to run the genny on either petrol or lpg and in conversations with Edge I was advised to use petrol occasionally for its lubrication qualities

We had to purchase a genny to operate the washing machine as it was the only equipment the inverter could not support

and when we are using the genny for the washer we also have it charging the batteries at the same time.

Hope this helps

John

Edited by Offcumden

Thanks again for the replies, the gas conversion looks very apealing, will probably go for it.

I don't see how LPG can be 50% cheaper than petrol if you buy it in the usual 13kg cylinders. lpg has a much lower energy content per kg than petrol. I have spoken to Edge Technology about this nd they did not have an answer.

And you would buy a lot of diesel for the price of an EU20

Edited by Robin2

We use our EU20i most days and it charges our batteries through a 25 Amp, 24 volt charger, which makes it work a bit when the batteries are low - otherwise current consumption is no more or less than you would expect for a liveaboard application.

In the last two and a half years, we have run it for a total of 1,354 hours and have used 543.4 Litres of unleaded petrol. So the average fuel consumption has been 0.4 Litres an hour or just over 9 hours running on a tank of fuel (3.7 Litres) - currently we are buying petrol at 1.069 per litre so our generator fuel cost equates to approximately £0.43 an hour. When we bought it we were told it would cost about 40p an hour so given the rise in petrol prices that was about right.

We use our EU20i most days and it charges our batteries through a 25 Amp, 24 volt charger, which makes it work a bit when the batteries are low - otherwise current consumption is no more or less than you would expect for a liveaboard application.

In the last two and a half years, we have run it for a total of 1,354 hours and have used 543.4 Litres of unleaded petrol. So the average fuel consumption has been 0.4 Litres an hour or just over 9 hours running on a tank of fuel (3.7 Litres) - currently we are buying petrol at 1.069 per litre so our generator fuel cost equates to approximately £0.43 an hour. When we bought it we were told it would cost about 40p an hour so given the rise in petrol prices that was about right.

Excellent data, many thanks. I see that I am not the only ‘nerd’ for recording things :lol:

1kg of lpg is roughly 2L of liquid gas.

So £ for £ you are getting nearly double the litres so running costs per hour are about half so that counters the roughly 20% ish less energy that is in the LPG.

Is not lpg liquid gas ??? :lol: ( I think ( assume) you meant petrol ) - I didn't think the difference was that great - nearer 0.7 or 0.8 being the amount of litres a friend uses when he uses petrol instead of gas in his car.

Nick :lol:

Is not lpg liquid gas ??? :lol: ( I think ( assume) you meant petrol ) - I didn't think the difference was that great - nearer 0.7 or 0.8 being the amount of litres a friend uses when he uses petrol instead of gas in his car.

Nick :lol:

It could be said that petrol is liquid gas, just that it gasses at atmospheric pressure :lol:

I don't see how LPG can be 50% cheaper than petrol if you buy it in the usual 13kg cylinders. lpg has a much lower energy content per kg than petrol. I have spoken to Edge Technology about this nd they did not have an answer.

And you would buy a lot of diesel for the price of an EU20

Agreed..... you can, but people run different setups for different reasons.

I run a generator because:

a. I don't want to put unnecessary hours on 'ye olde JP3' (probably a similar reason as to why Graham runs one on Alnwick)

b. I don't need to run my engine to produce hot water as I have a gas boiler (although the calorifier is fed from the engine as well if I am cruising)

c. The only 240v appliances I have on the boat are a microwave and the hoover. I can use the microwave and hoover when charging the batteries

d. Running your main engine for hours on end at virtually no load to charge batteries does it very little good. In fact, some engine suppliers actual say don't do it.

Horses for courses :lol:

LPG is sold by the kg (in bottles) or (by the L in petrol stations)

Petrol by the L

But 1kg of lpg is almost 2L in volume

1kg of petrol is about 1L

As petrol is about £1.09 per L & LPG is about 59p per L (from petrol station) or £1 per kg in bottles, the lower energy from the lpg is more than made up by the much larger amount you can buy per £1.

Petrol £1 = 1L

LPG £1 = 2L less the energy diff of about 20% = a petrol equivalent of 1.6L per £1