Registered at ...

Ange

Featured Posts

[/color]

Strange how when someone states an uncomfortable fact as above, they are labelled as a lunatic anarchist!

Excellent examples of what Freespirit advocates are the fuel prices we're all having to pay at present. Extortion an understatement! When questioned as to the rationale behind these extreme prices, we get the usual drivel; Wholesale price fluctuations, the cost of exploration etc., and we fall for it.

The real answer is "what the market will bare". In other words what us daft so and so's will cough up before civil unrest sets in. We pay the price, we moan for about 5 seconds then we carry on as normal. The next thing, the fuel companies post record profits!

Who are the mugs then? :lol:

Like sheep led to the slaughter, or, mushrooms. Kept in the dark and crapped all over!

Sorry but what his links advocate are neither anarchy nor non-conformism.

They are spurious facts held together by fantasy, with no solution offered other than disorder.

Civilisation has always required systems in order for it not to deteriorate into dictatorship rule.

When systems break down then the result makes robbing politicians and oil barons pale into insignificance.

Our system is miles from being perfect and there are lots of things I'd like to change, without losing the fundamentals.

Tpuc is fantasy rubbish that sucks in people the god botherers missed.

They are spurious facts held together by fantasy, with no solution offered other than disorder.

Civilisation has always required systems in order for it not to deteriorate into dictatorship rule.

When systems break down then the result makes robbing politicians and oil barons pale into insignificance.

Our system is miles from being perfect and there are lots of things I'd like to change, without losing the fundamentals.

And the poster is a loon for posting a political statement that has nothing to do with the content of the thread

Richard

So .... any other ideas on what "Registered at Wigan" painted on the side of my boat means :lol:

(I do love the twists and turns of forum threads though :lol: )

It probably means much the same as "Horning" on the stern of my boat. That's were boat was bought, fitted out and registered from (Norwich actually), so not a lot really.

Phil

Edited by Phil Ambrose

It probably means much the same as "Horning" on the stern of my boat. That's were boat was bought, fitted out and registered, so not a lot really.

Phil

Edited cos that read all wrong!

I'm chuckling about the fact such a simple question ends up with four pages of twists and turns, taking us at times into the realms or paranoid fantasy, then when I nudge it back on topic I get the response "not a lot" :lol:

Edited again because nudge only has one g!

Edited by Ange

I agree with the need for civil order/control within reason. But it never ceases to amaze me how gullible we are as a nation.

Back on topic do I hear :lol:

Mike

:lol: Carry on wandering off topic - I love it - this is a discussion forum and discussions wander in the real world just as they should in the virtual world.

Interestingly, I'm feeling like I'm taking a line I haven't experienced since primary school when it was "my game" and therefore I could make up the rules. As the OP is this "my game"? I rather like the idea of being the head honcho on this thread just because I started it.

:lol:

I agree with the need for civil order/control within reason. But it never ceases to amaze me how gullible we are as a nation.

But sites and organisations, such as tpuc, prey just as much on the gullible as governments and the mainstream media.

"You don't believe that rubbish do you? Come over here and believe our rubbish, instead!"

So .... any other ideas on what "Registered at Wigan" painted on the side of my boat means :lol:

(I do love the twists and turns of forum threads though :lol: )

As no one else seems to have offered an explanation, I will make an attempt.

Until quite recently there was a Legal requirement for Working Boats with living accomodation to be inspected by the Local Aurthority to determine how many Adults/Children could be accomodated in the back cabin. Once inspected the boat would be issued with a Registration number which was required to be displayed on both sides of the Cabin, along with the place where the registration was recorded.

There were a number of Local Authories which regularly performed this function, Rickmansworth and Daventry being two of them, and many boats carried the lettering (reg. at Daventry No.xxx) or (Registered at Rickmansworth No.xxx) etc. I do not know whether Wigan Local Authority performed this function, but if it did then there would have been Working Boats bearing the lettering (re. at Wigan No.xxx) as well.

In more recent times many Recreational Craft owners have chosen to adapt this feature of Working boats into the livery of their modern boats, but most people have chosen Watford, because that is where all the records of boats licernced to operate on BW waters are maintained, however some people choose the place where the boat is moored, or where it was built. In reality the boats are not actually registered and are not issued with a registration number but are issued with an Index number, which is usually the number used in the modern interpretion of the tradition.

If you have an old working boat it would be quite proper to maintain the historical feature and use the original number and place of registration, and many people choose to imitate this feature on a modern boat, however there are also critics who view the practice with derision. In my view it is up to the owner to decide whether this feature should appear on a boat or not, but my view is that it is appropriate on a boat of traditional design which is decorated with traditional livery. Our boat is decorated in Barlows style and carries the lettering (registered at Watford No. xxxx) on it, but I am equally happy for a boat to carry the lettering (BW No. xxxxxx) if that is what the owner wants.

Hope this helps to explain.

Edited by David Schweizer

But sites and organisations, such as tpuc, prey just as much on the gullible as governments and the mainstream media.

"You don't believe that rubbish do you? Come over here and believe our rubbish, instead!"

:lol: I never opened the sites for fear of being indoctrinated into some sort of mind boggling dogma and my mind is boggled enough already :lol:

You may have noticed that I've already come over there and after tempering my opinions somewhat, I'm thoroughly enjoying the rubbish! :lol:

Mike

As no one else seems to have offered an explanation, I will make an attempt.

Until quite recently there was a Legal requirement for Working Boats with living accomodation to be inspected by the Local Aurthority to determine how many Adults/Children could be accomodated in the back cabin. Once inspected the boat would be issued with a Registration number which was required to be displayed on both sides of the Cabin, along with the place where the registration was recorded.

There were a number of Local Authories which regularly performed this function, Rickmansworth and Daventry being two of them, and many boats carried the lettering (reg. at Daventry No.xxx) or (Registered at Rickmansworth No.xxx) etc. I do not know whether Wigan Local Authority performed this function, but if it did then there would have been Working Boats bearing the lettering (re. at Wigan No.xxx) as well.

In more recent times many Recreational Craft owners have chosen to adapt this feature of Working boats into the livery of their modern boats, but most people have chosen Watford, because that is where all the records of boats licernced to operate on BW waters are maintained, however some people choose the place where the boat is moored, or where it was built. In reality the boats are not actually registered and are not issued with a registration number but are issued with an Index number, which is usually the number used in the modern interpretion of the tradition.

If you have an old working boat it would be quite proper to maintain the historical feature and use the original number and place of registration, and many people choose to imitate this feature on a modern boat, however there are also critics who view the practice with derision. In my view it is up to the owner to decide whether this feature should appear on a boat or not, but my view is that it is appropriate on a boat of traditional design which is decorated with traditional livery. Our boat is decorated in Barlows style and carries the lettering (registered at Watford No. xxxx) on it, but I am equally happy for a boat to carry the lettering (BW No. xxxxxx) if that is what the owner wants.

Hope this helps to explain.

Thank you, it does!

Edited by Doorman

Thanks David, that was very informative.

So basically it did have a purpose once, but nowadays is a bit meaningless.

Yes, but if you have a traditionally decorated boat, it is a useful way of complying with the requirement to have the index number displayed on the cabin sides.

And the poster is a loon for posting a political statement that has nothing to do with the content of the thread

Richard

No, he's just a loon full stop. I'm more than prepared to believe that the state's out to get me, but inarticulate ranting isn't going to stop it.