CB Radio & Walkie Talkies

blodger

Featured Posts

It is old technology now with mobile phones everywhere. There have been threads about the benefits of using walky talkies when boating around locks and in bandit country. CB Radios (fixed installation) are pretty cheap these days second hand and I wondered whether the walkie talkies would integrate with them or are the frequencies etc different?

Indeed, do many boaters make use of CB Radio?

It is old technology now with mobile phones everywhere. There have been threads about the benefits of using walky talkies when boating around locks and in bandit country. CB Radios (fixed installation) are pretty cheap these days second hand and I wondered whether the walkie talkies would integrate with them or are the frequencies etc different?

Indeed, do many boaters make use of CB Radio?

You right on being old tec I was well into CB radios in the 80's

They both work on short wave frequencies but dont know if you could intergrade them

There is absolutely no possibility of making them work directly to each other.

I don't think anyone uses CB on the canals. We did at first, but the portable units were a nuisance to use with their long aerials (the rubber ducks gave you very short range indeed), and even back then we never heard another boat using it. We've still got it, but only use the walkie-talkies (and the ship's VHF radio)

I have a fixed CB on the boat, and a portable that the lock crew can use, also anyone on Fuzzyduckling can use it to stay in touch with the mothership. the bonus being that there's only one to drop in the cut.

It works well enough, and it's replaced my Old Maxon 446s nicely.

I don't think anyone uses CB on the canals.

I've met some boaters in Berkhamsted who do.

They had travelled up the tidal Thames through central London with nothing more, (their boats being below the length where VHF becomes mandatory).

I'm not saying that sounds a particularly good alternative to VHF, (presumably nobody else that matters can hear them!), but there are certainly people using CB on the cut.

I've yet to meet anyone in the flesh actually using the amateur bands though, (as opposed to "talking" to people on here who say they do or have.....)

I've met some boaters in Berkhamsted who do.

They had travelled up the tidal Thames through central London with nothing more, (their boats being below the length where VHF becomes mandatory).

I'm not saying that sounds a particularly good alternative to VHF, (presumably nobody else that matters can hear them!), but there are certainly people using CB on the cut.

I've yet to meet anyone in the flesh actually using the amateur bands though, (as opposed to "talking" to people on here who say they do or have.....)

I will give you a call now if you like, Alan ? I think we are about 50 miles apart, so 80M or 40M, 6 or 2, LSB, USB, AM or FM - whatever takes your fancy.... :lol: Maybe at the weekend or another time ? Boaters net ?

Nick

I used to have a Harrier CB-X, superb radio, so many options, I never tested them all before it passed away... :lol:

Also salvaged a Uniden CB from a scrapyard, never got to test it as I had no aerial, and then later some twit threw it in the bin, I wasn't too happy about that cos they still sell well on ebay!!! :lol:

I used to have a Harrier CB-X, superb radio, so many options, I never tested them all before it passed away... :lol:

Also salvaged a Uniden CB from a scrapyard, never got to test it as I had no aerial, and then later some twit threw it in the bin, I wasn't too happy about that cos they still sell well on ebay!!! :lol:

I have a Harrier CB-X converted to the adjacent amateur band, and that has given me a chat with a guy in a car in the middle of the Australian outback - on only standard power too !

Nick

I have a Harrier CB-X converted to the adjacent amateur band, and that has given me a chat with a guy in a car in the middle of the Australian outback - on only standard power too !

Nick

I once spoke to someone flying overhead in a light aircraft on my CB-X, I was impressed by that... :lol:

Not got as far as Oz though... :lol: