Freeplay DAB Radio

n.b.Goldie

Featured Posts

This radio has a power input of 9vdc which is achieved by using the mains adapter supplied. I do not want to use an inverter on the boat but would like to power it from the boats 12v batteries.

Has anyone used this radio with a 12v adapter, if so where are they available from, I have searched the 'net but not found anything specific to this radio.

I bought a universal adapter from Maplins but the radio buzzes annoyingly when used with it.

Initially, I thought I would be able to use the radio's own wind-up charger but winding for 15mins only gives up to 45 mins power. So far I have not been able to wind for more than 5 mins before running out of energy myself (I know I'm a wimp).

Thanks in advance

Ditchdabbler

This radio has a power input of 9vdc which is achieved by using the mains adapter supplied. I do not want to use an inverter on the boat but would like to power it from the boats 12v batteries.

Has anyone used this radio with a 12v adapter, if so where are they available from, I have searched the 'net but not found anything specific to this radio.

I bought a universal adapter from Maplins but the radio buzzes annoyingly when used with it.

Initially, I thought I would be able to use the radio's own wind-up charger but winding for 15mins only gives up to 45 mins power. So far I have not been able to wind for more than 5 mins before running out of energy myself (I know I'm a wimp).

Thanks in advance

Ditchdabbler

I'm surprised by the lack of running time on windup. I had a Freeplay radio for 3 years that got smashed unfortunately, but that ran for about 40 minutes on a 1 minute wind, about 60-80 turns. Maybe the rechargeable battery is faulty. Mine also had a ribbon solar collector on the top that would enable it to play continuously in direct sun and charge the battery if the radio was off.

I must get another one now that you have reminded me about them.

Roger

I'm surprised by the lack of running time on windup. I had a Freeplay radio for 3 years that got smashed unfortunately, but that ran for about 40 minutes on a 1 minute wind, about 60-80 turns. Maybe the rechargeable battery is faulty. Mine also had a ribbon solar collector on the top that would enable it to play continuously in direct sun and charge the battery if the radio was off.

I must get another one now that you have reminded me about them.

Roger

Hi Roger

Apologies, I should have mentioned that the short play per wind time is specific to the DAB function. On ordinary FM it is as you describe. BBC Radio 7 is only on DAB though.

DAB seems to take an enormous amount of power compared to FM which seems strange given that we are supposed to be reducing energy consumption.

According to a Radio 4 news article approx a year ago, FM transmitters are being switched off in 2015. The interviewer was rightly concerned that this is not being publicised. To summarise the interviewee's response, it will be sometime when we get round to it.

FM only radios are still being sold.......

Ditchdabbler

According to a Radio 4 news article approx a year ago, FM transmitters are being switched off in 2015. The interviewer was rightly concerned that this is not being publicised. To summarise the interviewee's response, it will be sometime when we get round to it.

FM only radios are still being sold.......

Ditchdabbler

At which time virtually every existing car radio will become useless - and not necessarily replaceable.

My 9V Pure radio has been running on the 12V for years, but i did start while it was under warranty. If yours is under warranty I would just plug it straight in to the 12V.

Other than that you need to find an adaptor that is not a switched mode unit as i would guess that it is this that causes in to buzz

Well, not quite. It just means that we'll all have to buy one of these.

Tony

OK so not completely useless. I could do without having an external gadget though, which would have to be unplugged and put away out of sight every time I park, unless I want to find a hole in the windscreen where it used to be when I come back.

I wonder if it is as high a quality as my existing set up, my experience with similar iPod devices is that their FM modulators are nowhere near the broadcast quality. And what about the RDS traffic report facility, which at the moment will interrupt either the FM station I'm listening to or the CD player when an announcement comes through? Given the excellent FM reception I get at the moment, I find it hard to see it as progress.

Given the excellent FM reception I get at the moment, I find it hard to see it as progress.

Totally agree (also the bit about crappy FM modulators).

A recent newpaper article re the switch-off is here:FM switch-off article

Hmmm... in which it states "The switchover will be announced two years in advance and not until digital accounts for 50% of all radio listening, "

Can't see that happening in the next 5 years.

Just taking motor vehicles, let's assume that maybe 10% of new cars today have DAB radios fitted (and I'd guess that's a pretty optimistic figure). That means that 45% of all existing cars on our roads will be either scrapped or have DAB exchange radios fitted by 2015. It'll never happen.

Tony

Totally agree (also the bit about crappy FM modulators).

Hmmm... in which it states "The switchover will be announced two years in advance and not until digital accounts for 50% of all radio listening, "

Can't see that happening in the next 5 years.

Just taking motor vehicles, let's assume that maybe 10% of new cars today have DAB radios fitted (and I'd guess that's a pretty optimistic figure). That means that 45% of all existing cars on our roads will be either scrapped or have DAB exchange radios fitted by 2015. It'll never happen.

Tony

A " quick and dirty " solution would be to string about 6 diodes in series with the positive feed, along with a fuse to protect the cable if there isn't one in the cigar plug... Each diode will drop around 0.6 volts when powering the radio ( measure it under load) and one can be added or removed as found necessary. Aim at about 10 volts when the engine is on, or 8.5 volts with it off. I am not sure how much current yours takes ( probably under 1 amp if running off your self charged input !) so the 1N 4001 ( to 1N 4007) series would do, or if a bit more, the IN5400 series is rated at up to 3 amps...

If you want a "better" solution and are handy with a soldering iron, I can e-mail you a circuit...

Nick