Photo resizing

Featured Posts

Can I put in a plea for those posting photos to resize them BEFORE posting, and not just rely on the forum resizing software? The forum resizes AFTER download, which means that the full-size picture takes ages to appear for those of us with less speedy connections. And we don't know when one of these huge beasts will appear in a thread.

Photobucket and I presume the other image-hosting sites have easily used resizing facilities, even suggesting a suitable size for forums (800x600?)

Thanks

Mac

P.S. I was prompted to write this after waiting ages to get into the 'Anyone want an argument?' thread, but got fed up waiting for the pic to download, and wandered off. :lol:

Edited by Mac of Cygnet

Can I put in a plea for those posting photos to resize them BEFORE posting, and not just rely on the forum resizing software? The forum resizes AFTER download, which means that the full-size picture takes ages to appear for those of us with less speedy connections. And we don't know when one of these huge beasts will appear in a thread.

Photobucket and I presume the other image-hosting sites have easily used resizing facilities, even suggesting a suitable size for forums (800x600?)

Thanks

Mac

P.S. I was prompted to write this after waiting ages to get into the 'Anyone want an argument?' thread, but got fed up waiting for the pic to download, and wandered off. :lol:

That'll be my fault. The images I'm using are picked up from other parts of the internet and arrive as they are. I didn't post them so I have no control over how big they are.

However, I'll bear that in mind as I look for fresh material.

Richard

That'll be my fault. The images I'm using are picked up from other parts of the internet and arrive as they are. I didn't post them so I have no control over how big they are.

Richard

PIXresizer is a handy bit of free software for resizing images.

Phil

Richard

Yes, I can see your point if you are using images from other sites and transferring them straight here. I've tried to see if there's a way of resizing them without an intermediate stop at an image hosting site, but I'm not an expert. Perhaps someone else can come up with a way that is less hassle than an intermediate stopover at Photobucket, etc. (Although it's not that much of a hassle)

Mac

I'm sure it is, but as I don't own or host the images it's not much help to me.

Richard

Although if you dont own the photos or the hosting then i could be argued as to if they should be hotlinked onto the forum as the large amount of bandwidth the OP is complaining about downloading has to be uploaded by the owner of the photo.

- I would certainly be really rather unimpressed if somone hotlinked my photos on another forum, as bandwidth is money, and i only have a finite amount of both.

If you want to to use someones photos i would suggest its always best to ask. But even where this is not possable i would suggest it would be polite to rehost them else where such as imageshack and then reference the origanal source. Which of cause gives you oportunity to resize.

Daniel

Although if you dont own the photos or the hosting then i could be argued as to if they should be hotlinked onto the forum as the large amount of bandwidth the OP is complaining about downloading has to be uploaded by the owner of the photo.

- I would certainly be really rather unimpressed if somone hotlinked my photos on another forum, as bandwidth is money, and i only have a finite amount of both.

If you want to to use someones photos i would suggest its always best to ask. But even where this is not possable i would suggest it would be polite to rehost them else where such as imageshack and then reference the origanal source. Which of cause gives you oportunity to resize.

Daniel

I really can't see how I can comply with this advice so I'll stop posting pictures.

Richard

Can I put in a plea for those posting photos to resize them BEFORE posting, and not just rely on the forum resizing software? The forum resizes AFTER download, which means that the full-size picture takes ages to appear for those of us with less speedy connections. And we don't know when one of these huge beasts will appear in a thread.........

Agreed, and WarriorWoman, any chance you can reduce that HUGE avatar?

Please1.gif

m@

I really can't see how I can comply with this advice so I'll stop posting pictures.

Richard

Well im not saying dont post pictures am I.

- Im certainly not saying you the only one to be airing others photos by way of posting them on the forum. Its somthing i do myself often.

- However, what i am saying is that at very least i would consider it common courtesy not to use their bandwidth in the process when it so easy not to.

Daniel