LPG Gas detector

floatingphil

Featured Posts

Hi Chaps

Well having got soaked to the skin on the L/L on Sunday and just getting though the Gargrave locks B4 they close them, I am now back to the more mundane things like fixing the Lpg gas alarm. I have 12v at the supply input but the internal fuse has blown. I repaced the fuse but the alarm goes off and all 3 lamps illuminate. It has a low level sensor attached which seems to be pluged in ok. Anyone any ideas on what may be the problem. ? Is it worth having repaired or is a replacement the way forward. Is an LPG sensor sufficient or should I have a Carbon Mon sensor as well / instead

Cheers

Phil

Hi Chaps

Well having got soaked to the skin on the L/L on Sunday and just getting though the Gargrave locks B4 they close them, I am now back to the more mundane things like fixing the Lpg gas alarm. I have 12v at the supply input but the internal fuse has blown. I repaced the fuse but the alarm goes off and all 3 lamps illuminate. It has a low level sensor attached which seems to be pluged in ok. Anyone any ideas on what may be the problem. ? Is it worth having repaired or is a replacement the way forward. Is an LPG sensor sufficient or should I have a Carbon Mon sensor as well / instead

Cheers

Phil

I think with things like this if you think it's playing up just replace it, they are not that expensive. I would not be without a CO detector either.

Edited by tomsk

Hi Chaps

Cheers

Phil

A CO alarm does a completely different job to a LPG alarm. CO is normally installed at a higher level than a LPG which should be as low as possible. LPG detects explosive gases, CO detects toxic carbon monoxide gases. You definitely need both

How long are you waiting after switching on? Most LPG sensors take between one and two minutes to stabilise, and during that time the alarm may sound.

If you can contact the supplier, a repair may be a lot cheaper than a new alarm. Mine was re-calibrated by the manufacturer free of charge even though it was well out of warrantee.

I regard both an LPG alarm and a CO alarm as essential. I like breathing and not being blown up.

Most LPG sensors take between one and two minutes to stabilise, and during that time the alarm may sound.

Thanks for that, I will see if it stablises. It was makin such a noise I pulled the fuse!. Just wonder what caused the fuse to pop in the 1st place

Phil

Have spoken to the manufactures, they cant suggest what may be wrong so I,m fitting new. Can anyone suggest a decent unit and a supplier, pref with a remote sensor. A dual unit that sniffs co2 as well would be even better. My current unit is an SF detection product Z10b, which are no longer made!!

Cheers

Phil

Mine came from Seath, it's model 129HZ12-2G. I've got 2 LPG senseors but you can have one LPG and one CO if you prefer. It seems to be very good indeed. The slightly worrying part is I see their price-list hasn't been updated for nearly 3 years, I hope that isn't an indication of a problem.

(snip)

A dual unit that sniffs co2 as well would be even better. Cheers

A CO alarm does a completely different job to a LPG alarm. CO is normally installed at a higher level than a LPG which should be as low as possible. LPG detects explosive gases, CO detects toxic carbon monoxide gases. You definitely need both

Separate units would be better. CO is lighter than air and tends to go up, gas is heavier and gathers at low level.

Iain

Edited by Iain_S

Separate units would be better. CO is lighter than air and tends to go up, gas is heavier and gathers at low level.

Iain

Bit pedantic here again, sorry, but CO has the same density as air if temperature is the same, but is usually warmer coming off heaters etc and therefore rises initially. Ideally a second sensor is needed lower down as a back up.

Bit pedantic here again, sorry, but CO has the same density as air if temperature is the same, but is usually warmer coming off heaters etc and therefore rises initially. Ideally a second sensor is needed lower down as a back up.

True, I was thinking of freshly produced CO :lol::lol:

Iain

I read an artile in Practical Boat Owner which tested 10 gas detectors and suggested that the sensors on most were adversely affected by moisture and often fail prematurely..

The exceptions that the tests highlighted were the more expensive models with waterproof sensors.

Bilges are often places where condensation can form so users of gas alarms should be careful not to over-rely on detectors. There's no substitute for good gas safety on boats, which in my opinion may or may not include a detector.

Edited by blackrose