Reg Barnett - boatman painter

dave moore

Featured Posts

Hi All

I had the good fortune to acquire this cabin stool recently. It's the work of Reg Barnett, a boatman who painted in a neat and careful style inspired by Bill Hodgson, the renowned "Knobstick" style painter. I'm minded to share it in the wake of the earlier heritage post. I could climb on my soapbox here but will refrain from doing so on this occasion. Reg's nephew Alan is still around, still boating and, I believe, still painting.....enjoy[

cans028.jpg

cans027.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
Hi All

I had the good fortune to acquire this cabin stool recently. It's the work of Reg Barnett, a boatman who painted in a neat and careful style inspired by Bill Hodgson, the renowned "Knobstick" style painter. I'm minded to share it in the wake of the earlier heritage post. I could climb on my soapbox here but will refrain from doing so on this occasion. Reg's nephew Alan is still around, still boating and, I believe, still painting.....enjoy[

cans028.jpg

cans027.jpg

SPAWNY GIT ! If you spent more time bent double with your mahl stick in one hand , a palette in the other , tins of paint and solvent round your feet and a goddamn customer asking you if that rough edge would still be there when it was finished - I might get there before you occasionally !

Very lovely - but then I saw the stool when you came round and gloated the other day - and at least you beat yon other fella to it.

Cheers me dear.

Edited by Phil Speight

Phil -dear heart-

I usually paint with mahlstick and palette on the same hand, brush in t'other....let's face it, your collection of painted ware is considerably more extensive than mine! I've just been very fortunate of late, that's all.

Cheers

Dave

Hi Dave,

Lovely stool. I think you'd better take a look at this - it's the Nurser can I showed you a while ago. I only found it late this evening. Sold for $250 (plus between $20 and $140 postage depending on who bought it) on eBay (item number 220503627251). Here is the link... http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...e=STRK:MEWAX:IT

Terence

NurserCan.jpg

Gauging by the courses of bricks behind the can, it would appear to be about 12" tall and 6 or 7" across the base. I wonder how it got to Ohio.

Certainly a very small can, with a one-piece lid, presumably made as a decorative piece?

Tim

It is a 2 pint can. The chap who owned it bought it from a garage sale over in the states for 10$. The original owner was a Doc on a visit to the UK years back, who bought it as a holiday piece. I tried to buy it from the new owner who contacted me for information about the painter (Nurser). I did think that I had a fair deal with him, but silly me didn't realise that once he had the information he wanted he would try and bump his price up and contact people I had passed to him. He sudenly wanted $400. Hears me thinking people are honest at best. The condition of the can is poor, but I was trying to bring it back home.

I will learn. Sorry Dave, sorry Phil, sorry Jes and so on and so on and so on.

Terence

Phil -dear heart-

I usually paint with mahlstick and palette on the same hand, brush in t'other....let's face it, your collection of painted ware is considerably more extensive than mine! I've just been very fortunate of late, that's all.

Cheers

Dave

I spoke in jest me dear - I`m delighted that one more piece of worthy painting is in the hands of someone who will make good educational use of it . You will understand the state of my spleen after a long " can I watch you" day with the brush and , as you know , my old baking tray barely qualifies as a palette! Come down and look at my latest victorian folk arty diamond shaped landscapes. Ghastly they are - complete with mother of pearl bits ! They do however look astonishingly like canal castles. Except for their diamondness and the mother of pearl of course. And the frames.

Cheers

Phil

ps - breaking news . They have started selling Enville in the Bird in Hand.

pps - best come in a taxi then.

Edited by Phil Speight

• 3 years later...

I spoke in jest me dear - I`m delighted that one more piece of worthy painting is in the hands of someone who will make good educational use of it . You will understand the state of my spleen after a long " can I watch you" day with the brush and , as you know , my old baking tray barely qualifies as a palette! Come down and look at my latest victorian folk arty diamond shaped landscapes. Ghastly they are - complete with mother of pearl bits ! They do however look astonishingly like canal castles. Except for their diamondness and the mother of pearl of course. And the frames.

Cheers

Phil

ps - breaking news . They have started selling Enville in the Bird in Hand.

pps - best come in a taxi then.

Today the have HPA as well and last week Doom Bar.

What you do now is photocopy the pics. and glue them onto all manner of traditional stuff, dogs bowls, wheely bins, mobile phones, ( I don`t want any money for this brilliant idea!)