KEN KEAY EARLY CRUISER REQUIRES A HOME

Laurence Hogg

Featured Posts

Barry Lycett has contacted me re a boat he owns which is almost certainly a Ken Keay product. Due to circumstances he is happy to dispose of this craft to anyone who feels that they can restore it and are able to collect it, thus ensuring it will not be broken up.

It appears to possible be the stern of a "Stour lifter joey" from the three quarter profile although the knees are of a newer type. However there is another possibility, the name "Tagus" is in the boat too, there was a "Tagus" lying on the junction of the Ridgeacre and Walsall canals for many years, it is not impossible that this could have been built from the remains of that tanker boat.

The boat has a Stuart Turner engine with a seperate gearbox. The propellor is stored on the boat.

Basicly Barry says most of the boat is quite sound and he reckons the engine is OK.

The boat is near Fakenham Norfolk.

Barry can be contacted on 07939 531461.

SEE PICTURE IN IMAGES GALLERY SECTION http://www.canalworld.net/forums/index.php...si&img=3558

We are looking for a "scruffy but sound" project boat, and this one appears to fulfil at least the first of those two criteria! Also she's lying not too far from where we live.

It's not quite clear from the photos whether the hull steel or wooden. I'm told that a wooden hull can be trouble for anyone who isn't at least halfway to being a master carpenter, which we aren't.

What sort of price is the chap thinking of?

It's not quite clear from the photos whether the hull steel or wooden. I'm told that a wooden hull can be trouble for anyone who isn't at least halfway to being a master carpenter, which we aren't.

It is wooden, there is a very similar, full length, boat near me. The bows are so similar with the placing of the guard irons that they must have come for the same yard - this one looks in better nick though.

You're a master blacksmith then?

If you can build a garden shed, that keeps the rain out, you can maintain a wooden boat.

You can also restore 75% of one, calling in the assistance of a professional for the bendy bits, if you don't feel confident.

It is wooden, there is a very similar, full length, boat near me. The bows are so similar with the placing of the guard irons that they must have come for the same yard - this one looks in better nick though.

It is a classic Ken Keay conversion.

You're a master blacksmith then?

You're a cheeky boy, then? :lol:

Seriously Chris, I have often read of wooden boats requiring constant hull maintenance, which steel ones don't. This one isn't for me, then, but I hope someone has the time and skill to bring her back to life.

If you can build a garden shed, that keeps the rain out, you can maintain a wooden boat.

You can also restore 75% of one, calling in the assistance of a professional for the bendy bits, if you don't feel confident.

It is a nice looking cruiser, reminds me of 'Eagle'. But I have single handed, scratch built a garden shed from 4x2's for framing; shiplap 6"x 3/4"; and Stirling board lined, fully insulated, with damp courses, and a fitted solid fuel range, all on a custom made concrete base - all up it cost me £1k in materials. It didn't need a dry dock, steam chest, or any occasional help from anyone - but I would not take on such a wooden boat. Come to that, I'm wondering why I'm still with a boat at all - the shed is no problem! - No mooring fee, no licence, no compulsory insurance, no compliance needed. Think I'll move in . . . (Might have trouble getting it through a lock though). :lol::lol:

Derek

You're a cheeky boy, then? :lol:

I have often read of wooden boats requiring constant hull maintenance, which steel ones don't.

Thank you.

Wood requires different maintenance from steel, not necessarily more. A steel boat of the same age as this one would also likely be hanging - which this one isn't by a long way judging by the pictures.

Any cheap project you buy of 30 years age or more is likely to require hull work (that's why it will be cheap).

If you don't want that then get an unfinished new boat like the one on Apolloduck (search under buttys).

It is a nice looking cruiser, reminds me of 'Eagle'. But I have single handed, scratch built a garden shed from 4x2's for framing; shiplap 6"x 3/4"; and Stirling board lined, fully insulated, with damp courses, and a fitted solid fuel range, all on a custom made concrete base - all up it cost me £1k in materials. It didn't need a dry dock, steam chest, or any occasional help from anyone - but I would not take on such a wooden boat. Come to that, I'm wondering why I'm still with a boat at all - the shed is no problem! - No mooring fee, no licence, no compulsory insurance, no compliance needed. Think I'll move in . . . (Might have trouble getting it through a lock though). :lol::lol:

Derek

And you can get as drunk as you like in it116.gif

But is it a conversion or a purpose built pleasure boat - looks like the latter to me.

But is it a conversion or a purpose built pleasure boat - looks like the latter to me.

Hi Pete,

Definatly partly a conversion from the tihckness and different age of the planking. Quite a heavy rebuild i would say with possibly the bottom strake removed in the process. Seems a lot of bother to produce something from a old hull, but that was Ken, reuse what you could. Both Barry and myself thought of the "Stour lifters" which lay around at that time, they had a gentle but defined shape to the stern. Barry isnt looking for much as this is costing him storage, probably just a drink - free to a good home.