Leicester

adam1uk

Featured Posts

Wondered if anyone had stayed at the Castle Gardens moorings in Leicester? The guidebook suggests they're made secure because they can obly be accessed with a BW key, but I'd be interested to know if anyone has any knowledge of them.

I've not used em, but i've spoken to the waterways manager at LCC, and pass them frequently.

The moorings at Castle park are kept seperate from the park by railings and gates locked with a BW key, the park is also locked closed at nights with a gate having a BW keyed lock so you can still get into and out of the park after hours. And i'm informed that there have been no cases of Bandit activity on these moorings. but watch the mooring cleats as "some boats have let themselves adrift from em."

However... The towpath runs down the opposite side of the canal, and can get busy with late night people on their way home or out to Leicester's clubs and Bars, you're also quite close to a huge housing estate built for students, so it can get pretty noisy.

If it was me i'd carry on north for about an hour and either stay at Birstall or Thurmaston locks (where I live), as both are near nice pubs and are quiet. the other way, there are several really quiet moorings within an hour.

A general warning for this streach of the navigation, make sure you like the weed hatch, i've yet to go through this section without fouling the prop, and watch for shallow water on the non towpath side of the canal esp near the industrial buildings.

to my knowledge the Loughborough Rd bridge just north of Belgrave lock has seen some traditional stoning activity, but bandit activity is over egged somewhat.

I've not used em, but i've spoken to the waterways manager at LCC, and pass them frequently.

The moorings at Castle park are kept seperate from the park by railings and gates locked with a BW key, the park is also locked closed at nights with a gate having a BW keyed lock so you can still get into and out of the park after hours. And i'm informed that there have been no cases of Bandit activity on these moorings.  but watch the mooring cleats as "some boats have let themselves adrift from em."

However... The towpath runs down the opposite side of the canal, and can get busy with late night people on their way home or out to Leicester's clubs and Bars, you're also quite close to a huge housing estate built for students, so it can get pretty noisy.

If it was me i'd carry on north for about an hour and either stay at Birstall or Thurmaston locks (where I live), as both are near nice pubs and are quiet. the other way, there are several really quiet moorings within an hour.

A general warning for this streach of the navigation, make sure you like the weed hatch, i've yet to go through this section without fouling the prop, and watch for shallow water on the non towpath side of the canal esp near the industrial buildings.

to my knowledge the Loughborough Rd bridge just north of Belgrave lock has seen some traditional stoning activity, but bandit activity is over egged somewhat.

33379[/snapback]

33429[/snapback]

It's a while since I was there but I recall that the moorings were across from the towpath, within a park, and were protected by a BW key locked gate. We moored on the towpath side and had no problems.

Tim

It's a while since I was there but I recall that the moorings were across from the towpath, within a park, and were protected by a BW key locked gate. We moored on the towpath side and had no problems.

Tim

33432[/snapback]

Dear Adam

I cycle up and down the canal everyday and pass the moorings at Castle Gardens so have quite a feel for the area where it's located and I agree with all of Fuzzyduck's and Tim's comments particularly the noise and being overlooked by the canteen of Her Majesty's Land Registry Regional Office.

But as for moorings within Leicester, the only place I can recommend is just above Kings Lock near Aylestone which is about 4 hours from Kilby Bridge (BW yard) (And another 2 hours into the City) This is due to the Tea Rooms in the only remaining lock keepers cottage (open Thurs - Sun)run by Tony and Julie who have created a nice vibe with everyone who uses the tow path. A 12 min walk from Kings Lock will take you into Aylestone which has lots of reasonable takeaways and useful shops. Plus Aylestone village is 3 miles south of the city centre with loads of direct buses.

The pound below North Bridge Lock is strange as it is sometimes high and at others quite low as it was yesterdaywith big slimy rocks on either side.

But most importantly watch out for the hindu funeral goods below the next lock of Lime Kilns just past the looming Abbey Mills. The BW tug Little John got its prop well and truely wrapped up last monday. The way it happen is that the greiving asain family walk down onto the canal towpath to a place a liitle way past the concrete road bridge. They stop and sprinkle the ash of their cremated dearly departed on the water and throw in a coconut for the boatman to take the spirit over, colourful weaths and if she was female, the yards of sari material as clothes for the next world but in reality destined for you prop! So full revs as you leave Lime Kilns Lock to get as much momentum as you can and then onto tick over once pass the bridge and hopefully after a 150 metres length become more confident that you have passed the danger spot.

The funny thing is that the ritual is though to be disgusting by the white population for the sprinkling of HUMAN (but completely inert) ash into the navigation and thus poluting it. There's nowt as strange as folk! considering all the other nasty stuff that get into the canal.

The Museum of Technology and and Belgrave Hall near Belgrave Lock :) (check them out on the web) are open to the public Sat to Wed 11am to 4pm and are to be highly recommended to passing boaters as there are short mooring stages near each one but then I'm biased since I work there!

Perhaps I'll see you as I cycle along - have a good trip

Roger t' Bodger

But most importantly watch out for the hindu funeral goods below the next lock....The funny thing is that the ritual is thought to be disgusting by the white population.....

34095[/snapback]

:) Funeral rites - must be a subject for the Virtual Pub! That's the place for wakes! :D

Roger - really enjoyed reading your reply there, thanks.

It would be great to have such colourful detail on other sections of canals too. I insist you move! :)

Thanks Carrie for the compliments but Shucks, I'm jus doing ma job mam. -

Admittedly a seft appointed job but our ol' ditch needs friends and protectors and officialdom don't pay much for those who do strive to make it a viable and pleasent place for everyone.

The latest local knowledge (Sunday 9th) is that the contractors gear and materials that was left conveniently by North Bridge Lock while they rebuilt the wall that collapsed into the lock three months ago, has been chucked in the bridge hole just below the lock. The authorities BW have been informed and it will be cleared asap.

By Freemans Meadow Lock this morning whilst walking the dog I perchanced upon a fellow using a powerful magnet on a length of rope to search the lock for valuables. At his feet was a boat rake and a decent windlass. 'Good hunting', I compliment him. He replied, 'This'll crap, mate.... do yer wannit?'

I walked the dog home carrying my new free gifts, which set me up for the day I can tell you - anyone know where you can buy these magnets?

Roger

Today walking through Leicester, i saw a cyclist with a BW pass attached to his bicycle, i was so taken aback i think I gave him funny looks for all of 2 minutes.

so if you read this Mr BW man on the mountain bike, i wasn't thinking about mugging you, honest!

Today walking through Leicester, i saw a cyclist with a BW pass attached to his bicycle, i was so taken aback i think I gave him funny looks for all of 2 minutes.

so if you read this Mr BW man on the mountain bike, i wasn't thinking about mugging you, honest!

Dear All

A BW pass to cycle on the canal? A rare sight if such a concept exists in reality - not sure who that was as the riverside rangers ride beefy trail bikes.

Thanks for the magnet info - thats the item - 140 pounds lifing power for £24 quid!

Incidentally the chap I encourtered with the magnet quietly admitted later that he was really trawling for guns as a 'collector'. 'I like guns', he said..

I made my excuses and left - Sad git.

Roger t' Bodger

A BW pass to cycle on the canal? A rare sight if such a concept exists in reality - not sure who that was as the riverside rangers ride beefy trail bikes.

nahh this was a staff ID card.

Incidentally the chap I encourtered with the magnet quietly admitted later that he was really trawling for guns as a 'collector'. 'I like guns', he said..

I made my excuses and left - Sad git.

well personally I hope he pulls out the sherman tank that nearly took my honda off 3 weeks ago.

Dear All

I have a BWB Towpath Cycle Permit, but rarely have it displayed....

Reason?

In their wisdom, they supply a little open ended plastic holder, carefully designed so that after only a small amont of rain your permit is just a pile of quite unreadable "mush".....

If they supplied something that even vaguely resisted mud and water, you might see rather more of 'em about!