Stirling 800 Watt Inverter

Living the Dream

Featured Posts

Hi All

So there we were with my son and his girlfriend having a nice weekend cruise. On Sunday morning my son informed me that his and his girlfriends hair straightners werent warming up!!!! PANIC!!!!!!! I ran into the bedroom to find they had switched the inverter on and had two hair straighners plugged in!

The problem now is that the inverter is not giving out full power i.e. it wont run the central heating pump. Its wierd because it still switches on but only gives out a little power. I thought they had a cut out on them to stop overloading.

The question is can it be fixed or is it a new inverter to be bought by my son?

Any help would be apreciated.

Thanks

Dave

Hi Dave,

They do indeed have a cutout for overload protection, but that doesn't mean it'll always work :lol:

Do you have the manual?

If it's under 2 years old then Sterling will repair/replace. If it's over 2 years old then Sterling may offer a discount on a replacement. If so, your son can buy you a 2kW replacement for the same price :lol:

Hi Dave,

They do indeed have a cutout for overload protection, but that doesn't mean it'll always work :lol:

Do you have the manual?

If it's under 2 years old then Sterling will repair/replace. If it's over 2 years old then Sterling may offer a discount on a replacement. If so, your son can buy you a 2kW replacement for the same price :lol:

No its about 4 years old. I had a look at the manual (thanks for linking that) it doesnt look anything like the one in the picture so it must be an old model. I reckon I will give stirling a ring as you suggest. I think its time for my son to buy good old dad a new inverter!

Thanks again

Dave

Hi All

So there we were with my son and his girlfriend having a nice weekend cruise. On Sunday morning my son informed me that his and his girlfriends hair straightners werent warming up!!!! PANIC!!!!!!! I ran into the bedroom to find they had switched the inverter on and had two hair straighners plugged in!

The problem now is that the inverter is not giving out full power i.e. it wont run the central heating pump. Its wierd because it still switches on but only gives out a little power. I thought they had a cut out on them to stop overloading.

The question is can it be fixed

Well, a fatherly talk on the lines of "what the hell are you using hair straighteners for" might be a start.

It seems they come in at 35-200w ish BUT not is all as it seems. See below.

http://www.roamingfox.co.uk/Hair-Straighte...rters-p-12.html

Aye but "This will then in turn blow both our 45 and 100 watt converters " isn't really relevant to an 800 watt inverter.

(I still think a male using straighteners is a bit gay effeminate)

Gibbo

Edited by Gibbo

Aye but "This will then in turn blow both our 45 and 100 watt converters " isn't really relevant to an 800 watt inverter.

Gibbo

It is if he is blaming his sons use of the straightner blowing the inverter.

The inverter should have coped with both items even at 200w each so he cant blame his son.

Justme

Hi All

The question is can it be fixed or is it a new inverter to be bought by my son?

Any help would be apreciated.

Thanks

Dave

High resistance fuse?

Morning All

Just read all your comments especially the ones relating to my son and his hair.

No he is not gay or effeminate. He is 19 has shoulder length hair and straightens it....problem?????. He is at Uni doing very well studying for a music production degree he is also the best son anyone could ever wish for

Yes he was told not to use such things as hair straighteners from the boat unless the genny was on........Son is paying for new inverter......end of. The bank of Mum and Dad collapsed during the recession and he earns his own money which is more responsible than a lot of adults.

So anyway back to the inverter. All the advice about contacting Sterling was good and they are in fact either going to fix it, update it or I can get a more powerfull one at a discounted price so thankyou everyone.

Regards

Dave

Morning All

Just read all your comments especially the ones relating to my son and his hair.

No he is not gay or effeminate. He is 19 has shoulder length hair and straightens it....problem?????. He is at Uni doing very well studying for a music production degree he is also the best son anyone could ever wish for

Yes he was told not to use such things as hair straighteners from the boat unless the genny was on........Son is paying for new inverter......end of. The bank of Mum and Dad collapsed during the recession and he earns his own money which is more responsible than a lot of adults.

So anyway back to the inverter. All the advice about contacting Sterling was good and they are in fact either going to fix it, update it or I can get a more powerfull one at a discounted price so thankyou everyone.

Regards

Dave

Well said.

incidentally my girlfriends hair straighteners run fine off a 200W inverter and once started (up to 10A) use about 3A at 12V

Edited by Chris Pink