Fitting a Webasto fuel pipe

Featured Posts

I'm helping a friend to fit a Webasto on his Liverpool Boat. Just wondered if anyone had any tips, especially regarding the fuel pipe. The boat's tank does not come witha spare standpipe (as did my Price Fallows shell) to take the supply from and so we plan to tap into the diesel tank, using the Webasto fuel pipe as supplied.

This will mean entering the tank's vertical bulkhead, in the engine bay, just under the rear deck. Any tips or cautionary notes appreciated. Any good/bad experiences appreciated.

Also, the kit does not come with any sort of fuel filter/water trap. We plan to leave about 4" of clearance from the bottom of the tank to the tip of the draw off but it just seems wierd to not put some sort of device in the line to prevent contamination reaching the in-line fuel pump. Any thoughts or ideas?

Many thanks in advance

Brent

I'm helping a friend to fit a Webasto on his Liverpool Boat. Just wondered if anyone had any tips, especially regarding the fuel pipe. The boat's tank does not come witha spare standpipe (as did my Price Fallows shell) to take the supply from and so we plan to tap into the diesel tank, using the Webasto fuel pipe as supplied.

This will mean entering the tank's vertical bulkhead, in the engine bay, just under the rear deck. Any tips or cautionary notes appreciated. Any good/bad experiences appreciated.

Also, the kit does not come with any sort of fuel filter/water trap. We plan to leave about 4" of clearance from the bottom of the tank to the tip of the draw off but it just seems wierd to not put some sort of device in the line to prevent contamination reaching the in-line fuel pump. Any thoughts or ideas?

You don't say when the boat was manufactured!

Basically there are three choices -

1) Fit a separate tank!

2) Tee into the feed pipe (with a separate isolation valve) which is normally on the port side immediately in front of the tank bulkhead.

3) Utilise the drain plug connection normally fitted just to the side (starboard) of the weed hatch.

In this last case, there will be no take off and it may contravene the BSC?

It would be advisable to fit some sort of filter/water trap in any event.

Many thanks in advance

Brent

Though it states it's not a good idea (it doesn't say why) I teed off from the engine supply, we do have a spare feed but it saved a lot of bother routing another pipe. Though we have had probs with our Mikuni it wasn't anything to do with the tee off, I eliminated this possibility by increasing supply pipe to 10mm.

You don't say when the boat was manufactured!

Basically there are three choices -

1) Fit a separate tank!

2) Tee into the feed pipe (with a separate isolation valve) which is normally on the port side immediately in front of the tank bulkhead.

3) Utilise the drain plug connection normally fitted just to the side (starboard) of the weed hatch.

In this last case, there will be no take off and it may contravene the BSC?

It would be advisable to fit some sort of filter/water trap in any event.

The boat is four years old.

Interestingly, the engine fuel feed pipe is on the starboard side (not the port side)... diectly below the filler cap. This caused a problem earlier this month when the engine stopped just 15 minutes after filling up. We suspect the force of new fuel entering the tank had disturbed something that was quickly sucked into the draw-off pipe.

We disconected the pipe at the filter and blew air back up the pipe and into the tank. This cleared the blockage.

The drain plug on this boat is on the port side.

The boat is four years old.

Interestingly, the engine fuel feed pipe is on the starboard side (not the port side)... diectly below the filler cap. This caused a problem earlier this month when the engine stopped just 15 minutes after filling up. We suspect the force of new fuel entering the tank had disturbed something that was quickly sucked into the draw-off pipe.

We disconected the pipe at the filter and blew air back up the pipe and into the tank. This cleared the blockage.

The drain plug on this boat is on the port side.

It does vary depending on year of manufacture and engine fitted etc.

I was always suspicious that both pipes were actually inserted to the same depth, but the feed is generally on the opposite side to the drain!

I serviced my Webasto for the first time this weekend, using the excellent guide on this forum. I installed it myself when I fitted out the boat 4 years ago, and during the servicing realised I'd made a mistake with the fuel pipe. I connected to to the Webasto using a compression fitting, but that prevents you taking apart the unit for servicing. You need to make sure that you use a flexible pipe with jubilee clips for the connection to the unit itself.

Many thanks in advance

Brent

My liverpool came with 2 fuel filters (I think most do). I replaced the 1st filter/agglomerator (nearest the fuel tap) with a better one (Racor) which had extra take off points. Easy to take off a blanking plug and run the pipework to the Webasto via another shut off valve. Looks neat and the BSS man was very complementary.

I serviced my Webasto for the first time this weekend, using the excellent guide on this forum. I installed it myself when I fitted out the boat 4 years ago, and during the servicing realised I'd made a mistake with the fuel pipe. I connected to to the Webasto using a compression fitting, but that prevents you taking apart the unit for servicing. You need to make sure that you use a flexible pipe with jubilee clips for the connection to the unit itself.

Funnily enough, I did the very same thing myself when fitting on my own boat four years ago.

At the time I was told (rightly or wrongly) that all joints had to be compression! Having viewed the Webasto servicing guide on this site, I now realise that I'll face problems taking the unit apart (just as you must have).

As a matter of interest, how did you remove the olive on the unit's fuel intake?

Regards

Brent

Funnily enough, I did the very same thing myself when fitting on my own boat four years ago.

At the time I was told (rightly or wrongly) that all joints had to be compression! Having viewed the Webasto servicing guide on this site, I now realise that I'll face problems taking the unit apart (just as you must have).

As a matter of interest, how did you remove the olive on the unit's fuel intake?

Regards

Brent

Gently sawed through the olive with a junior hacksaw, until it freed up and I could slide it off.