Four Counties Ring

Bring back

Featured Posts

Hi All,

Just to let you know, we completed the ring. Hard going a few very long days, but great fun.

I've two questions that I hope someone can help me with :-

We did the ring Anti clockwise and the last lock we encountered was the top of the Stoke flight just before the junction with the Caldon Canal. This lock is very very deep and after all the locks we had done, the rate at which the water filled the lock took us very much by surprise. So much so, that boat shot forward and thumped rather heavily into the gates. On reflection this was bound to happen due to the great difference in water levels, but wasn't so obvious at the time

My first question is, does anyone know the actual rise of this lock ?

Nicholson's and Pearson both say the flight rises in total 50'0' but I wondered if anyone knew anything specific to this individual lock.

My second question is, is this lock the biggest rise on the four counties ring ?

many thanks in advance

Stoke Top Lock.

I don't have my Nicholsons with me, because I'm at work, but doesn't it tell you the actual drop/rise of each invidual lock and not just the flight?

I know the lock.. not sure myself how deep it is but it's a big drop!

My Nicholson's (several editions) just give the rise for the whole flight. I'm sure I remember reading somewhere that Etruria Summit Lock is around 13' deep. It's not the deepest narrow lock on the system - that honour goes to the top lock on the Tardebigge flight which is close to 14' - but it's still deep enough.

The last time I went through Etruria, I recall, only 1 ground paddle was working. The top gate paddles went a very long time ago - for very good reasons. Because there is such a big head of water, you do need to be extra careful when going up. Make sure the boat is stopped against the bottom gates, put the engine into reverse (just) and open the paddle slowly.

• 3 weeks later...

Summit Lock is 13" feet deep.

I believe it is yes, there are a few other very deep one's on the Trent and Mersey - Yard Lock at Stone springs to mind, as do some of the Wheelock flight and of course all of the Middlewich Branch locks are very deep - Stanthorne, Minshull and Cholmondeston inparticular.

• 1 month later...

My Nicholson's (several editions) just give the rise for the whole flight. I'm sure I remember reading somewhere that Etruria Summit Lock is around 13' deep. It's not the deepest narrow lock on the system - that honour goes to the top lock on the Tardebigge flight which is close to 14' - but it's still deep enough.

The last time I went through Etruria, I recall, only 1 ground paddle was working. The top gate paddles went a very long time ago - for very good reasons. Because there is such a big head of water, you do need to be extra careful when going up. Make sure the boat is stopped against the bottom gates, put the engine into reverse (just) and open the paddle slowly.

The deepest lock on the system is Tuel Lane lock on the Leeds Liverpool at 19'4".

The summit lock at Etruria can be a right pain when the water pulls you forward though.

Colin

The deepest lock on the system is Tuel Lane lock on the Leeds Liverpool at 19'4".

The summit lock at Etruria can be a right pain when the water pulls you forward though.

Colin

I think it is about equal to bath deep lock on the K & A. Both locks are that dimension for the same reason, following restoration and interference by new road works, two normal sized locks were replaced by one big one. Both are barge locks of course.

Oh yes Tuel Lane lock is on the Rochdale canal.

Edited by John Orentas

I think it is about equal to bath deep lock on the K & A. Both locks are that dimension for the same reason, following restoration and interference by new road works, two normal sized locks were replaced by one big one. Both are barge locks of course.

Oh yes Tuel Lane lock is on the Rochdale canal.

My 4/5th lock ever that one...fortunatly going down...less can go wrong down

Edited by John Orentas