ARE THEY EXEMPT, OR SHOULD THEY KNOW BETTER?

canalchris

Featured Posts

and now the bank there is piled due to the bank being washed away.

Excellent - it won't wash away again then.

We are talking about one particular boat here. Jaguar. The OP said that they objected to the wave that was being made by this boat. I simply offered an explaination why this might be due to the depth of the boat and the type of engine.

So they are exempt then, you say?

PC

They were not exempt, they were the norm

Edit: out of interest how many people commenting here have ever steered a deep drafted ex-working boat and how many have ever boated with a Bolinder?

Edited by Satellite

In the rest of the video he has either just started off, is passing through bridge holes, passing mored boats, going around a hard corner or the camera is facing forwards so you can't see the wash.

Working boatmen are full of stories of how they modified their engines, tinkered and used tricks to get their boats to go faster. You can be sure the bigger the wave the better.

My wife's granparents had a trick for making their working boat go faster. They used to throw bricks at the horse. Good old days.

Edit: out of interest how many people commenting here have ever steered a deep drafted ex-working boat - I have Northwich Star - Pisces, between 1965 and 1971

and how many have ever boated with a Bolinder? - Once - N.b Sweden, in the late 1960's

Edited by David Schweizer

It is a problem on the ashby, because it really is a very shallow and narrow canal compaired to most and with a deep draughted boat you are always going to have to move a large volume of water past yourself at any speed and sometimes to to go slow enough to removed the wash is very slow indeed. Hence, combined with an engine not able to go that slow, you do have big problems.

I spent the weekend on and off Sickle and they spent the whole lenght of the canal knocking it into neutral to keep the speed down as tickover created breaking wash thoughout the canal. She's not stupidly over proped or over engined, the tickover is about as low as you could expect for a HA3, but with a half decent load on, the very narrow canal, and relativly short boat lenght it is going to make wash unless you do somthing.

Daniel

I spent the weekend on and off Sickle and they spent the whole lenght of the canal knocking it into neutral to keep the speed down as tickover created breaking wash thoughout the canal. She's not stupidly over proped or over engined, the tickover is about as low as you could expect for a HA3, but with a half decent load on, the very narrow canal, and relativly short boat lenght it is going to make wash unless you do somthing.

Well she was fairly well set up for when she was towing two fully laden 70 foot mud-hoppers around, and I've a feeling the engine and prop remain the same as then ? I guess it's not surprising she now has "a bit in reserve!".

Interesting that, because the boat is as lovingly restored to a fully working condition as any on the system, more authentic that 95% of others, but unless operated in the way you say, rather too powerful for some of the canals it finds itself on, (the current configuration and engine being for very specific towing use on the broad GU). Some of the less well behaved "working boat" crowd could reek destruction with a boat like that to be honest, (and proably would :lol: ).

What I can assure you is that watching it now, and watching it the way it's BW steerer operated it, there really is no comparison. It didn't quite plane in its former existence, but it certainly rarely didn't have a big wash behind it!

(For the avoidance of any doubt, I feel totally confident this boat is operated in as responsible a manner as it is possible to achieve - if Sickle can't avoid a bit of wash sometimes, I don't care - the canal would be a very much poorer place if at least some such boats were not restored to such exacting standards).