Another odd voltage question

Timleech

Featured Posts

All this talk of different voltage systems has set me wondering about the next stage on my workboat, which will include preparations for some wiring. It'll be 12V + 110V, to run power tools via a 110V Travelpower generator. Maybe also include a 110V immersion heater and provision for landline to plug it into.

Most likely source will be the permanent dry-dock 110V supply, which uses a big centre-tapped earth transformer but also might conceivably get plugged into a Yellow Brick site transformer (also CTE) at some time or other.

Any recommendations as to how best to deal with the perennial 'mains wiring' issues? Also where to find a 110V battery charger, not too fancy, which could be permanently wired in?

It's only plans in my head at the moment.

Thanks

Tim

All this talk of different voltage systems has set me wondering about the next stage on my workboat, which will include preparations for some wiring. It'll be 12V + 110V, to run power tools via a 110V Travelpower generator. Maybe also include a 110V immersion heater and provision for landline to plug it into.

Most likely source will be the permanent dry-dock 110V supply, which uses a big centre-tapped earth transformer but also might conceivably get plugged into a Yellow Brick site transformer (also CTE) at some time or other.

Any recommendations as to how best to deal with the perennial 'mains wiring' issues? Also where to find a 110V battery charger, not too fancy, which could be permanently wired in?

Thanks

Tim

I am nearly certain that my Sterling charger will run at either 110/240 but would have to check it to be 100% sure.

Thanks

Tim

Most switched mode chargers run at a high range of voltages, I seem to recall my Mastervolt goes down to 90V.

You can get small transformers for running European equipment in America if you need to produce 220-240V

O and any American equipment will of course run fine (provided it is unfussy about frequency which most are)

Edited by Chris Pink

I am nearly certain that my Sterling charger will run at either 110/240 but would have to check it to be 100% sure.

I've got one of 'those' B&D chargers, it says bluntly '230V' on the label but then they are sold strictly for the 'domestic' market with 13A plug fitted. I wonder how they would respond to a 110V supply?

Tim

And don't forget you should really use double pole circuit breakers.

Gibbo

Good point. The Travelpower comes complete with a panel with MCBs fitted, can't remember whether they are single or double. Don't yet know what the earthing arrangements on it are, if any, obviously I'll have to establish that earlier rather than later.

Tim

Good point. The Travelpower comes complete with a panel with MCBs fitted, can't remember whether they are single or double. Don't yet know what the earthing arrangements on it are, if any, obviously I'll have to establish that earlier rather than later.

Every single one I've ever worked on or tested (both 110 volts and 230 volts) has been a centre tapped earth.

Gibbo

Every single one I've ever worked on or tested (both 110 volts and 230 volts) has been a centre tapped earth.

Hmmmmm... what does an RCD think to that?

(I'm probably going to regret asking that question...)

T :lol:

Hmmmmm... what does an RCD think to that?

(I'm probably going to regret asking that question...)

I will stand corrected if wrong, but am pretty certain that an RCD will function with a centre tap earthing arrangement. Double pole breakers ane necessary as already stated.

I will stand corrected if wrong, but am pretty certain that an RCD will function with a centre tap earthing arrangement.

Well I know (or at least I think I know) that an RCD is basically a current comparator and if it detects a disparity between Live and Neutral it trips, so I'd have thought that if there's nothing more to one than that they'd be okay. However, I know they don't necessarily like some inverters, so I was curious as to whether there was any more to it than that.

Well I know (or at least I think I know) that an RCD is basically a current comparator and if it detects a disparity between Live and Neutral it trips, so I'd have thought that if there's nothing more to one than that they'd be okay. However, I know they don't necessarily like some inverters, so I was curious as to whether there was any more to it than that.

Not sure TBH. My RCD would not operate on the inverter when tested with a proper tester. The reason for this was a lack of neutral earth link, which I have now fitted. It now operates properly. I think an RCD should operate on centre tap OK.

Gibbo

So that'll be the main reason why the switching has to be certain/interlocked if they're combined with other 'mains' sources?

Are there any circumstances where switching equipment between say a 240-0V and 120-0-120V supply can cause problems? (discounting old TV sets with chassis at neutral :lol: )

Tim

So that'll be the main reason why the switching has to be certain/interlocked if they're combined with other 'mains' sources?

Correct.

Are there any circumstances where switching equipment between say a 240-0V and 120-0-120V supply can cause problems? (discounting old TV sets with chassis at neutral :lol: )

All modern equipment has to be designed to operate properly and safely with the earth bonded to neutral, or centre tapped. So there should never be a problem.

The only exception to this is certain types of equipment that are specifically designed to detect incorrect or non standard voltage sources. The only items I'm aware of that do this are certain inverter charger combis with a transfer function that refuse to tranfer if the neutral and earth are not bonded. They aren't very common.

Gibbo

Thanks

Tim

What is a CTE ?

Get your self a pair of rubber wellies, some thick rubber gloves, a chain (metal) link vest and make sure its well bonded to a Qualified electricians earth thing.

What is a CTE ?

Get your self a pair of rubber wellies, some thick rubber gloves, a chain (metal) link vest and make sure its well bonded to a Qualified electricians earth thing.

Cease

To

Exist