Fishing Umbrella

Featured Posts

Hi

I apologise if this question is in the wrong section but I could have put it in several categories - so here goes..

I have been given a 6ft wide fishing umbrella (not all anglers are ******) and as some of you know they come with a spiked end

When cruising and when it is raining (with no wind) I thought it would be a good idea to erect the umbrella and I would then be kept relatively dry as the umbrella would extend across the boat.

Question - does anyone have any ideas/solutions/suggestions as to how I can fit a tube or clamps that will allow me to quickly erect the brolly and if need be (low bridges etc) remove it?

I am not interested in the brolly gadget that is advertised - am trying to think of something that can be close to me whilst steering that is positioned in the hatch way.

I was cruising with Sue from Middlx (nb So Long) some time ago and she had a system but did not get details at the time so if she is a CWF member?

Avarest is a trad stern with extended slide.

Cheers everyone :lol:

When cruising and when it is raining (with no wind) I thought it would be a good idea to erect the umbrella and I would then be kept relatively dry as the umbrella would extend across the boat.

An efficient and speedy means of removal is reccomended for Thuderstorms!

I use a fishing umberella for shelter. I have a cruiser deck and have put into the deck a table island insert so I just put the leg into the insert and put the umberella into the leg this holds it with no problem. Then if moored up in the sunshine I put the table top on and it is pimms and cuccumber sandwiches on the back deck. No help for you if you have a Trad back deck though. :lol: Hard to explain I will try to put a picture up when I take one

I use a fishing umberella for shelter. I have a cruiser deck and have put into the deck a table island insert so I just put the leg into the insert and put the umberella into the leg this holds it with no problem. Then if moored up in the sunshine I put the table top on and it is pimms and cuccumber sandwiches on the back deck. No help for you if you have a Trad back deck though. :lol: Hard to explain I will try to put a picture up when I take one

Are you talking about a Desmo leg?

Thats the one, my son came up with the idea as I have one for the table in the boat and I think he was sick of holding the umberella thats when you need a 12 year old.

Sounds good. But as a temporary measure has anyone tried using a parasol base? Cast iron or water/sand filled plastic?

The people whose name I can't remember, they sell polish from their boat, are going to be selling a clamp for the tiller arm at the National. I am sure someone will come up with their details soon.

Sue

I really can't get the point of the ones that clamp to a tiller arm, (or at least not on a "trad" stern, which is where I have seen most of them).

Either it is going to move from side to side as you swing the tiller, (hardly ideal if you are where you should be in the hatchway).

Or it it needs to be positioned way back on the tiller, in line with the rudder post, in which case it will generally position the umbrella behind the correct position of the steerer.

Might work OK on a cruiser or semi-trad stern, I suppose, where you can walk around to follow the umbrella if it moves as part of the steering process.

Surely on "trads" it is far better to fix something to the hatch, (which the OP seems to have recognised!).