narrowboat painting

AllanO

Featured Posts

My 14 month old narrowboat purchased fully fitted from a 'reputable' builder in Cheshire has developed multiple areas of irregularity on the paint surface on the cabin sides and hand rails. If I scrape the areas, rust appears under the paint. I suspect the original paint job was done incorrectly and the problem is likely to spread and deteriorate.

Is this something that I should expect on a boat of this age 'professionally' finished? Before I contact the builders has anyone any advice on how I should deal with this?

My 14 month old narrowboat purchased fully fitted from a 'reputable' builder in Cheshire has developed multiple areas of irregularity on the paint surface on the cabin sides and hand rails. If I scrape the areas, rust appears under the paint. I suspect the original paint job was done incorrectly and the problem is likely to spread and deteriorate.

Is this something that I should expect on a boat of this age 'professionally' finished? Before I contact the builders has anyone any advice on how I should deal with this?

Find out who made the paint and ask them to send someone to have a look. Don`t say exactly why - because they may then just say "not our fault mate - talk to the builder. " You could also get a surveyor to have a look and produce a detailed report. Then send a copy of their report to the builder. On the other hand - really you should immediately go back to the people responsible and give them a chance to put it right . That would usually be the initial course of action and , in the event of a court case , could be seen as a necessity. It SEEMS that the paintwork is not up to scratch , and it certainly should not be failing so soon but I say that without knowing anything about the specification, the amount paid, any conversations you may have had with the builder regarding the finish on the boat and any number of other etc`s.

Phil

Edited by Phil Speight

Find out who made the paint and ask them to send someone to have a look. Don`t say exactly why - because they may then just say "not our fault mate - talk to the builder. " You could also get a surveyor to have a look and produce a detailed report. Then send a copy of their report to the builder. On the other hand - really you should immediately go back to the people responsible and give them a chance to put it right . That would usually be the initial course of action and , in the event of a court case , could be seen as a necessity. It SEEMS that the paintwork is not up to scratch , and it certainly should not be failing so soon but I say that without knowing anything about the specification, the amount paid, any conversations you may have had with the builder regarding the finish on the boat and any number of other etc`s.

Phil

Phil

Thanks for this Phil. The paint is made by HMG. I didn't make any specific painting requests apart from colour, Dark Brunswick Green. The shell was not grit blasted prior to painting. I think it just had standard primer, undercoat and topcoat. Don't know how many coats.

I am trying to seak to the builders but it is difficult to pin them down. I will keep trying.

Thanks for this Phil. The paint is made by HMG. I didn't make any specific painting requests apart from colour, Dark Brunswick Green. The shell was not grit blasted prior to painting. I think it just had standard primer, undercoat and topcoat. Don't know how many coats.

I am trying to seak to the builders but it is difficult to pin them down. I will keep trying.

Only one boat called EILIDH on Jim Shead's list.

Richard

Seems a very short amount of time for paint work to last to me. Most of the paint on the cabin sides of our boat has been there for over 10 years and although fading and in need of brightening up it is still intact and protecting the metal work.

If a scratch occurs that cuts down to the metal it can be a very short time before the tin worm does it's worst and once the rust gets under the paint it can lift an increasing area quite quickly especially if paint adherence was not all it could be in the first place. At least that is my experience from an auto paint context.

As is widely known we have a very close relationship with HMG . Their own brand enamel is not the same as ours but nonetheless I know it to be extremely good paint - it`s what gave us hope of them being able to meet our demands in the first place. So I doubt if the problem has anything to do with the paint. They may well agree to a "technical visit" , or they may just ask you some searching questions and draw a conclusion from your answers. I still favour getting a surveyor in.

Phil

I had the exact same problem. We went back to the boat builders and to International Paint and after a bit of faff got the boat completely sand blasted and repainted at a lovely marina. Top notch job! And we didn't pay a penny! Its worth the fight and you'll find you are not the only one

Good Luck

Chloe

we've had our boat shotblasted and repainted by our builder for exactly the same reason you have described. Sounds very much like porous paint alowing moisture to get through to the steel beneath.

Turned out after closer inspection that our original coat of paint was lacking at least one undercoat on the one side, and was probably painted when the steel was damp.

A case of cutting corners it seems.

I assume that you only have a twelve month warranty so getting a repaint under warranty might be a bit difficult. However you could go down the 'not fit for purpous' route, although this might mean a visit to the county court.

Edited to say our builder is based in cheshire...................

Edited by bag 'o' bones

we've had our boat shotblasted and repainted by our builder for exactly the same reason you have described. Sounds very much like porous paint alowing moisture to get through to the steel beneath.

Turned out after closer inspection that our original coat of paint was lacking at least one undercoat on the one side, and was probably painted when the steel was damp.

I assume that you only have a twelve month warranty so getting a repaint under warranty might be a bit difficult. However you could go down the 'not fit for purpous' route, although this might mean a visit to the county court.

actually I didn't say but the reason for needing the repaint was poorly prepared steel and very very thin application of paint with no primer or undercoat. very shoddy job and its all too common I think.....

As is widely known we have a very close relationship with HMG . Their own brand enamel is not the same as ours but nonetheless I know it to be extremely good paint - it`s what gave us hope of them being able to meet our demands in the first place. So I doubt if the problem has anything to do with the paint. They may well agree to a "technical visit" , or they may just ask you some searching questions and draw a conclusion from your answers. I still favour getting a surveyor in.

Phil

I have tried unsuccessfully so far to speak to the builders about this. I either get an answering machine or a promise from the girl that answers the phone that someone will ring back. I am still waiting.

Can anyone recommend a local surveyor that will be able to give an opinion on the problem and provide a report on the quality of the painting? I am obviously prepared to pay for this.

The boat is moored on the K and A between Pewsey and Hungerford.

Thanks

I have tried unsuccessfully so far to speak to the builders about this. I either get an answering machine or a promise from the girl that answers the phone that someone will ring back. I am still waiting.

Can anyone recommend a local surveyor that will be able to give an opinion on the problem and provide a report on the quality of the painting? I am obviously prepared to pay for this.

The boat is moored on the K and A between Pewsey and Hungerford.

Thanks

Ah -- that`ll be HMG (South ) Ltd then - not the HMG we have a relationship with. They are related but different companies. I don`t know how good they are on technical matters to do with application - but I`m sure they will be. So I still suggest you ask for their opinion. They should be able to give you a fairly definitive reason for the problem with your paint. This is in addition to a surveyor`s report.

Hopefully this situation will be resolved satisfactorily by mutual agreement once the parties are in contact but......

I think the legislation that may help you if it comes to it is "The Sale and Supply of Goods to Consumers Regulations of 2002" which I learned about on a University course recently so I'm satisfied what I was told was more than barrack room gossip. I am not a lawyer, by the way. I understand that if it can be proven that a defect present at the time of sale is responsible for symptoms that emerge later, it is possible to claim damages for a period of up to 6 years in England. I'm sure the citizens advice will explain it properly.

Good luck

Graham

• 1 month later...

Could the problem be caused bu the mill scale still remaining on the steel? This would mean that the hull would rust between the scale and the steel.

Some of the other comments sound like this - which would explain why sandblasting helped to cure the problem...

Edited by Christopher Osborne

Could the problem be caused bu the mill scale still remaining on the steel? This would mean that the hull would rust between the scale and the steel.

Some of the other comments sound like this - which would explain why sandblasting helped to cure the problem...

Mill scale on the steel or not rust still needs a supply of air and moisture to begin the process. There are plenty of boats on the cut that still have mill scale on the steel and are not suffering paint problems.

Sandblasting isn't very effective at removing millscale but shotblasting is.

Hopefully this situation will be resolved satisfactorily by mutual agreement once the parties are in contact but......

I think the legislation that may help you if it comes to it is "The Sale and Supply of Goods to Consumers Regulations of 2002" which I learned about on a University course recently so I'm satisfied what I was told was more than barrack room gossip. I am not a lawyer, by the way. I understand that if it can be proven that a defect present at the time of sale is responsible for symptoms that emerge later, it is possible to claim damages for a period of up to 6 years in England. I'm sure the citizens advice will explain it properly.

Good luck

Graham

Good luck

Graham

Unfortunately, but in the current climate, not surprisingly, my boatbuilder has informed me that they have entered into an agreement with their creditors. Any claim that I have will be unsecured and I think that I will have to pay for any repairs myself. I do not know whether the whole boat needs repainting or just the apparently defective areas. Can anyone recommend any boat painters that cover the central K & A that can do the work and will give me an honest opinion?