River Nene

kevinw

Featured Posts

Next week, we're planning on a couple of week's out on the boat. Not having our fill of rivers this year, I'm thinking of a trip on the Nene, probably as far down as Fotheringay for no other reasons than I've seen pictures and it looks nice.

Boat is a full size modern thing with a Russell Newbery DM2. We've done plenty of rivers (Thames, Severn, Warwicks Avon, Weaver), so not fazed by flowing water - just wonder whether the Nene is worth going to, especially with the trudge down the Arm to get there off the Grand Union.

I know I'm going to need to buy an EA licence for a week and get the anchor out of the locker for the week, am I going to need anything else special, like windlasses or padlock keys?

What are the facilities like, especially moorings and water points? And finally, are there any "must see" or "keep away at all costs" sections?

Thanks in advance.....

Kevin

Next week, we're planning on a couple of week's out on the boat. Not having our fill of rivers this year, I'm thinking of a trip on the Nene, probably as far down as Fotheringay for no other reasons than I've seen pictures and it looks nice.

Boat is a full size modern thing with a Russell Newbery DM2. We've done plenty of rivers (Thames, Severn, Warwicks Avon, Weaver), so not fazed by flowing water - just wonder whether the Nene is worth going to, especially with the trudge down the Arm to get there off the Grand Union.

I know I'm going to need to buy an EA licence for a week and get the anchor out of the locker for the week, am I going to need anything else special, like windlasses or padlock keys?

What are the facilities like, especially moorings and water points? And finally, are there any "must see" or "keep away at all costs" sections?

Thanks in advance.....

Kevin

Did the Nene a couple of years ago and was pleasantly surprised as we had a nightmare trip down there twenty years ago, which is another story.

The Northampton arm is hardly a trudge, it's nice to get back to Narrow locks after the GU main line.

The old problem was the bloody awful bottom gillotine gate mechanism but a large percentage have now been electrified and some convered to traditional gates. However the unelectrified ones have been fitted with aluminium wheels to operate the gillotines which are a pain.

Have never felt the need to get the anchor out on the Nene.

You will need an EA 'Abloy' key to operate the Nene locks, best buy in advance if possible, we had to beg one off a boat coming up the Northampton Arm once as the boat yard that sells them at the top was closed!

Mooring places are not that frequent but have never failed to moor up close to where we wanted to.

Tim

Edited by Tim Lewis

The Nene is lovely as long as it isn't in flood, in which case it's scary. The guillotine gates are very slow. Beware water pouring over top gates.

Good overnight moorings at Cogenhoe (worth walking up to see the village) , Irthlingboro, Wadenhoe (Kings Head garden) Ashton lock (walk to Chequered Skipper pub well worthwhile) and of course Fotheringhay. A few other places also eg Wansford, Denford, Thrapston Bridge (scary manoeuvre required) but not so good. It's all pretty except the bigger towns. Beware lack of facilities, especially loo and rubbish disposal. Fill up with water at Northampton Irthlingboro and Fotheringhay.

Surprising lack of GRP cruisers for a river.

If you want to see more, we wrote up our trip this year on our blog www.nbherbie.blogspot.com

Neil

Thanks in advance.....

Kevin

I would suggest bankside pins just incase you cannot find a mooring.As for moorings,they are not in abundance,there are 48hr moorings at Wandsford,24 hr moorings at Ferry meadows,you can also moor up at ALwalton agacent to the lock.Im not sure if ARC membership is open to non members but if it is then thats the solution to mooring up on the nene,for a fiver,i can moor at any club on the nene and if i brake down, the closest club will send a tow boat out,there are clubs at Peterborough,Alwalton,Oundle and tichmarsh.

i am a member of Peterborough,its a vry friendly club of 400+ members and 104 moorings.If you are coming down to peterborough call in at the club,we often have visitors stopping over for a night or two, we have showers,toilets fresh water,diesel and beer at the weekend,its close to Orton and ferry meadows and VERY secure.

I can get you some usefull numbers for the EA.As has already been said,you do need a winlass for the gates and an abloy key,ive never used an anchor on the nene in 2 years of motoring up and down it

Hi,

Have been down the Nene a couple of times, excellent cruising and great hospitality at Peterborough Y club.

Shortage of toilet emptying facilities in some stretches, especially with the closure of facilities at Rushden Diamonds. We found a place to empty a cassette opposite Whitworth's Mill in Wellingborough. Good supermarket shopping at Northampton and Wellingborough.

Some caravan dwellers took a particular interest in out boat at Wellingborough so be careful if you leave it unattended.

As has been stated, the Nene drains a large area so pay attention to the weather forecasts, especially in the Midland area as levels can change rapidly.

Great scenery and the locks are no real problem, Fotheringhay excellent, both the Church and the Falcon.

If it's fine weather children swimming in some locks can be a problem.

Well worth a visit.

Leo

Many thanks to all for a quick and helpful response. Looks like a worhwhile trip - may see some of you along the way!

Kevin

The weed problem should be better now: the EA weed muncher was working its way upstream when we came up. If there is still a problem please post here, it would be good to be forewarned before our return trip. The problem bit is/was upstream of Earl's Barton lock.

MP.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, we made it onto the river. Currently moored outside the Kings Head at Wadenhoe, waiting for opening time for a pint and dinner! Very attractive river - feel a bit foolish having set up the anchor to discover just how slow the flow is!

Full length narrowboats are obviously a rarity on this river as we've been asked at almost every lock "how long is it?". Mooring has been difficult as they are few and far between, but other users have been very helpful and closed up, or even moved to make space for us.

There is still some weed about, mostly downstream of Billing not been down the weedhatch yet, but needed to clear the prop a few times. The weedboat is currently moored up at one of the locks, looks like it has been in recent use.

Most weedy stretch was the Northampton Arm of the GU - felt like "The African Queen" in places. Very badly overgrown, shallow and branches in the water.

We were intruiged to see the football ground at Rushden & Diamonds - looks like there's been a serious falling out between the football club and the Environment Agency.

Will probably turn around tomorrow, or Wednesday to head back.

Kevin

Edited by kevinw

Well, we made it onto the river. Currently moored outside the Kings Head at Wadenhoe, waiting for opening time for a pint and dinner! Very attractive river - feel a bit foolish having set up the anchor to discover just how slow the flow is!

Full length narrowboats are obviously a rarity on this river as we've been asked at almost every lock "how long is it?".

Despite the slow flow, some of the downstream locks still have six inches of water cascading over the top gates - be aware and make sure the boat can't move back and flood.

There is still some weed about, mostly downstream of Billing not been down the weedhatch yet, but needed to clear the prop a few times. The weedboat is currently moored up at one of the locks, looks like it has been in recent use.

The weedboat is broken. We met the driver on "gardening duty", literally, at a lock. He was seeding grass on bald bits of lawn. You've passed all the still-weedy bits now, downstream is clear.

Most weedy stretch was the Northampton Arm of the GU - felt like "The African Queen" in places. Very badly overgrown, shallow and branches in the water.

Agreed. If BW don't start to do something, it's going to become a problem.

Will probably turn around tomorrow, or Wednesday to head back.

Get as far as you can: downstream of Irthlingborough is the best bit.

MP.