Pump Out fittings

Featured Posts

Morning All.

As I am starting to look at fitting the pipework between my toilet and pumpout tanks and the then to outside world, i need to find a place to put my skin fittings. Im going to put the vent just above the rubbing strip but i cant decide the best place for the pumpout fitting and the rinse. I have been told by some to put it on the roof and others to put it on the gunwhales. I cant put them on the roof at all as there is too much stuff in the way (although i know this would make it easyier to get at from both sides) and I stupidly told the gas engineer to put the main gas pipe under the gunwhales so it would mean moving it to get the the skin fittings and bits in, and i dont really want to do that!

My brainwave is that I was going to put the pumpout and rinse fittings above the rubbing strip on the bit of the hull that angles in just before it folds over and turns into the gunwhale? Is this called the transome? Is this a stupid idea, or do you think it is workable? As i plan to self pump out most of the time anyway it wont be a problem for me ( i dont think) but would it cause a problem if i took it for a pump out at a station?

Any advice would be most welcome, has anyone seen any glaring pitfalls with this setup?

Many thanks.

Kayak.

The only slight issue I could see with your proposed pump out position is that when the fitting is mounted on a vertical plane you won't have the benefit of gravity holding the pipe in whilst your working at the other end of the hose. You also may not be able to get at it if the bank is high or if you have to breast up.

I have the pump-out on the roof, rinse out on the gunnel and the filter/vent between the gunnel and the rubbing strake. The tank is under the bow deck and the toilet is about 20ft away.

The gas pipe on mine curves round the rinse out fitting - which I remembered to fit first - which is suprising given the ammount I did forget. :lol:

Edited by david and julie

The only issues I could see with your proposed pump out position is that when the fitting is mounted on a vertical plane you won't have the benefit of gravity holding the pipe in whilst your working at the other end of the hose. You also may not be able to get at it if the bank is high or if you have to breast up.

Hi david and julie.

Thanks for your reply. Both good points, especially about keeping the pipe in. To be honest I have never used a pumpout before, i did imagine that the suction pipe must fit pretty tight into the skin fitting to create a seal, or the pump would just be sucking air. Have i not got my head round this correctly?

Thanks again.

K.

Hi K

Not done a pump out myself yet and your theory on the seal is correct but everyone I have watched doing a self pump out always holds/stands on the connection to hold it in.

Never asked why, perhaps I should.

Morning All.

As I am starting to look at fitting the pipework between my toilet and pumpout tanks and the then to outside world, i need to find a place to put my skin fittings. Im going to put the vent just above the rubbing strip but i cant decide the best place for the pumpout fitting and the rinse. I have been told by some to put it on the roof and others to put it on the gunwhales. I cant put them on the roof at all as there is too much stuff in the way (although i know this would make it easyier to get at from both sides) and I stupidly told the gas engineer to put the main gas pipe under the gunwhales so it would mean moving it to get the the skin fittings and bits in, and i dont really want to do that!

My brainwave is that I was going to put the pumpout and rinse fittings above the rubbing strip on the bit of the hull that angles in just before it folds over and turns into the gunwhale? Is this called the transome? Is this a stupid idea, or do you think it is workable? As i plan to self pump out most of the time anyway it wont be a problem for me ( i dont think) but would it cause a problem if i took it for a pump out at a station?

Any advice would be most welcome, has anyone seen any glaring pitfalls with this setup?

Many thanks.

Kayak.

I used to hate fittings mounted on the side as you describe. I had to ensure my boat was pulled away from the boat you were servicing to allow room for the hose and they kept wanting to drift together again, trapping your hose. The chances of dropping the cap in the cut when screwing/unscrewing are also much higher. In fitting the thing as described you also put a right angle bend into the lift pipe, not a good idea for blockages.

The roof is also not a good idea. Any spillage (inevitable occasionally) will have to be washed off the pretty bit of your boat. Occasionally, you will come across a "tired" pump that cannot quite make the extra lift required for a roof fitting.

George ex nb Alton retired

The problem with the gunnel mounted fittings happens when they are on the off-side. I watched a boater having to do an awkward process of holding on/bending down/hanging over the water to take the plug out and put the hose in. Ever since I've been very glad that ours are on the roof.

Richard

The problem with the gunnel mounted fittings happens when they are on the off-side. I watched a boater having to do an awkward process of holding on/bending down/hanging over the water to take the plug out and put the hose in. Ever since I've been very glad that ours are on the roof.

Richard

Due to the way our boat will be moored for the forseeable future, and due to the postion of the tanks etc the fittings wold have to go on the port side. Can you see any probs with that?

K

Due to the way our boat will be moored for the forseeable future, and due to the postion of the tanks etc the fittings wold have to go on the port side. Can you see any probs with that?

K

Port or starboard doesn't matter. Many boatyards will ask you to turn your boat so the fitting is bankside.

Ideally, you want to meet ALTON midstream, he will pass down either side to get to the fitting.

Blatent plug:-)

George ex nb Alton retired

If you can guarantee that the pump out will always be on the right side, then only have one or (like me) have pump out, rinse and vent on both gunnel's.

ps, I have the advantage that my 'black' tank sits across the boat and forms a convenient step into the engine room.

Edit: vent is actually on side just below gunnel

Edited by bottle

I wouldn't recommend a horizontal (or side mounted) outlet. How do you put the blue in? Very difficult through the outlet if the outlet is in the side.

I take the point about tired pumps not liking roof fittings but some hoses might not take too kindly to being draped across the roof and then bent through ninety degrees to enable the fitting to sit tightly in the outlet - a lot depends on the fittings you plan to use.

You may only self pump but any future buyer may not and they may object to the side fitting.

I'd still prefer the roof. Yes you do get the odd splash but that is quickly hosed/wiped away.

Make the room on the roof if you can.

Have you ordered the tank yet? If so, how do you still have such freedom of choice?

Quote I stupidly told the gas engineer to put the main gas pipe under the gunwhales so it would mean moving it to get the the skin fittings and bits in, and i dont really want to do that!

If the gas pipe is in the way, can you not remove 4-5 clips, bend it out of the way and then reposition the clips. There's not a problem as long as you don't actually break and remake a gas joint. You could always spray, with leak detector fluid, the nearest joints either side to check afterwards.

Edited by NBMike