BW Blue

boatboss

Featured Posts

Hi

Does anyone know the proper colour name for the British Waterways blue used on their workboats and also the yellow

Pete

[Hi thanks for all replies

As we are leasing Python from BW we will paint in International Lauderdale blue and will put 2" wide yellow coachlines as was on before all signwriting in yellow as before with shading

Hello,

I have a copy of the official traffic boat livery sheets, the blue is BS104 Azure blue, the yellow "deep chrome Yellow". We obtained both these colours from a paint supplier in Hednesford, the old BS numbers can now be matched to modern ones.

Paint colurs well give Craftmaster a call.Phil has gone to a deal of trouble to get the right blue and yellow colours and will sell you all you need to do the job.

We`ve had a pm chat about this . However - I`ve just remembered that International 104 Danube Blue is a very close match for Azure Blue. We do have both the correct colours in our range but the job is already committed to International - which is fine by me , we can`t win `em all!

Edited by Phil Speight

• 3 years later...

Sorry to resurrect an old thread but I am trying to work out if there is a colour code for the BW Yellow. I can find various references to it as "Chrome" or "Lemon Chrome".

While I am well aware that paint can be mixed or even bought off the shelf in the correct shade I am trying to get some vinyl logo's made in the correct shade and so if there is some sort of original code or reference we can give to the sign maker it would be extremely helpful

Sorry to resurrect an old thread but I am trying to work out if there is a colour code for the BW Yellow. I can find various references to it as "Chrome" or "Lemon Chrome".

While I am well aware that paint can be mixed or even bought off the shelf in the correct shade I am trying to get some vinyl logo's made in the correct shade and so if there is some sort of original code or reference we can give to the sign maker it would be extremely helpful

If you have a sample of the colour, a good printer who uses big litho presses should have a Pantone colour chart or even a densitometer that can give you a number to have paint made to. Something like ""pantone 286" which translates as Reflex blue I think

Thanks,

It sounds like I am going to need to get the printer to come to the boat which may not be that easy. That is why I was hoping there would be some sort of standard colour code for the shade.

Is this old post any help?

British Waterways blue & yellow fleet = 285A & 116A

British Waterways maintenance fleet = 294A & 116A

It's not the British Transport Waterways logo like we have on Sickle that you are having made, is it ?

DSCF4209.jpg

We are in fairly urgent need of some of those, if you were!....

Edited by alan_fincher

Hello,

I have a copy of the official traffic boat livery sheets, the blue is BS104 Azure blue, the yellow "deep chrome Yellow". We obtained both these colours from a paint supplier in Hednesford, the old BS numbers can now be matched to modern ones.

Turners Trade Paints

It's not the British Transport Waterways logo like we have on Sickle that you are having made, is it ?

You can buy them on ebay. £8-10 each IIRC

Go by the BS numbers, as Laurence says the blue was called Azure 104, and the yellow Golden Yellow 356, both in the BS 381C range. Be aware that some yards painted a darker blue, more like Oxford Blue. Laurence knows.

I had a small tin of International called Danube Blue, and the colour on the paper label on the lid seemed way off. But that doesn't mean what was in the tin was wrong, and even out the tin it'll be a different shade to what it dries like on the boat. Dave and Phil will know all there is to know about that.

A chart - but no names: http://www.icomsps.co.uk/colour_chart.htm - and also be aware colours as seen on such charts and computer screens will likely be corrupted from true. A 'guide' only.

You can buy them on ebay. £8-10 each IIRC

Any idea what to search for ?

I've looked before, and not found them - not just on e-Bay - on the web generally.

EDIT:

Actually now I just have!.....

"Vinyl Cut Graphics" - Linky

Edited by alan_fincher

DSCF4209.jpg

No Sorry Alan, it is not. (although I am sure the guy we deal with could make you some up if you wanted him to?)

Python currently has Chesterfield Canal Trust logo's on her which are a different colour to the yellow on the paintwork and it has always bugged me they do not match. I was told that the logo's were done in the "closest match available" - having dealt with getting such things made up for classic cars in the past I am aware that the things the guys with the whizzy computerised systems can churn out in vinyl are not only extremely impressive but any printer worth his salt will go to great lengths to ensure the colour is matched as closely as possible.

We are in the position now where we have to get another small logo made to recognise one of Pythons supporters. This will be carried on the sheeting. The think is if we have it made in the "correct" yellow it will clash with the CCT logo we already have and so I am looking at the possibility (cost) of having an entire new set made. Python is not the right shade of blue anyway. We can't do much about that until such time as she requires repainting

Go by the BS numbers, as Laurence says the blue was called Azure 104, and the yellow Golden Yellow 356, both in the BS 381C range. Be aware that some yards painted a darker blue, more like Oxford Blue. Laurence knows.

I had a small tin of International called Danube Blue, and the colour on the paper label on the lid seemed way off. But that doesn't mean what was in the tin was wrong, and even out the tin it'll be a different shade to what it dries like on the boat. Dave and Phil will know all there is to know about that.

A chart - but no names: http://www.icomsps.co.uk/colour_chart.htm - and also be aware colours as seen on such charts and computer screens will likely be corrupted from true. A 'guide' only.

Thank you Derek

I am pretty sure that is exactly the information I need and it looks like Alan has found his logo's too so it was worth resurrecting the old thread after all :)

Yes those references are correct as I wrote "I have a copy of the official traffic boat livery sheets, the blue is BS104 Azure blue, the yellow "deep chrome Yellow". We obtained both these colours from a paint supplier in Hednesford, the old BS numbers can now be matched to modern ones."

However Bradley used a deep blue from manders which was more akin to midnight blue so breaking away, they also used stenciled lettering. There are many variations but the "Traffic livery" sheets are spot on for accuracy to what BW wanted (even if they didnt get it!).

Is this old post any help?

DSCF4209.jpg

Blimey, mine wasnt a bad guess at Pantone 286 was it?

Edited by jelunga