Give way to racing canoes, yes or no

mayalld

Featured Posts

What happens in the case of a major event like the annual Devizes - Westminster race? IIRC I think this event is heavily policed at the Devizes end so are there any restrictions applied en-route?

Edited by weeble

Ah, I notice that the old "it's for charity" card being played there!

Frankly, in many cases, I believe that the total losses incurred by those inconvenienced by the running of such events (wages, fuel, wear and tear) often exceeds the sum raised for the charity.

As to the Tour de France, and the Monaco GP, I am neither French nor Monagesque, and accept that they have a right to their strange ways.

In respect of the private hire of swimming pools, I beleive that it is conventional that pools are only available for hire during the times when they would not normally be available for public swimming.

No, I'm not playing the "it's for charity card". And plenty of cycle races, non-charity running races are run in this country. Most people accept that others have hobbies too. I notice your "when they came for the ...", defence failed to mention that. Not in my back yard, eh?

There was a Dragonboat race at Brindley Place recently. Wasn't there to see it as I had to leave t'country, but I'm guessing they closed the canal. I wonder how much was lost in wages, fuel etc to the nearest **** all, there? I shall tell the organisers to cancel the event next year to accomodate your wishes that you have exclusive access to the network.

Edited by Nine of Hearts

No, I'm not playing the "it's for charity card". And plenty of cycle races, non-charity running races are run in this country. Most people accept that others have hobbies too. I notice your "when they came for the ...", defence failed to mention that. Not in my back yard, eh?

I have no objection to people pursuing their hobbies.

I do object to people pursuing their hobbies so as to inconvenience others.

Which is what you're doing by not letting them pursue their hobby :lol:

"They're all out of step apart from our Jack"...

They add £2.50 per person to their entry charges for non members of the British Canoe Union, which suggests the possibility that some of the competitors may have no license of any kind to use the canal.

"The canal is very narrow at certain sections, so negotiating the narrowboats is fun."

If it happened every day it could become annoying, but once in a while....? I bet the race is a lot of fun for a lot of people. Live and let live. We live in such intolerant times these days, it seems.

I'm not intolerant, I just don't like people enjoying themselves :lol:

While generally supporting your views here, both canoeists and anglers might well argue that we inconvenience them.

It always seems to come back to considerations of balance, tolerance and respect.

There was a Dragonboat race at Brindley Place recently. Wasn't there to see it as I had to leave t'country, but I'm guessing they closed the canal. I wonder how much was lost in wages, fuel etc to the nearest **** all, there? I shall tell the organisers to cancel the event next year to accomodate your wishes that you have exclusive access to the network.

They didn't close the canal, but put BW stewards at either end to try and control the traffic to only move between heats. Unfortunately a certain charter boat owner, and not the one we might expect, insisted on running through just before the final and left all but himself aggrieved which was a shame as I had him down as a really nice chap 'til that.

Which is what you're doing by not letting them pursue their hobby :lol:

"They're all out of step apart from our Jack"...

I don't object, per se, to them holding canoe competitions of angling competittions on the canal, so long as they recognise that it is a shared environment, and that if their activity requires exclusive use to work, it isn't an appropriate environment.

They didn't close the canal, but put BW stewards at either end to try and control the traffic to only move between heats. Unfortunately a certain charter boat owner, and not the one we might expect, insisted on running through just before the final and left all but himself aggrieved which was a shame as I had him down as a really nice chap 'til that.

Phew! That's ok, then, just so long as all the participants pay a pro-rata licence fee for the time they're on the canal. We'll have no free loaders here! This is a local canal, for local people, etc...

Go on, spill on the charter boat! I've been barged out of the way down there only to see said "barger" moored up 200 yards further on. While the all-fired up hurry to moor outside the Real Burger Co, I wonders? Was it lasties or something?

I don't object, per se, to them holding canoe competitions of angling competittions on the canal, so long as they recognise that it is a shared environment, and that if their activity requires exclusive use to work, it isn't an appropriate environment.

So if you want to have a canoe race it has to be done on a privately owned lake???? And you're not inconveniencing anyone???? :lol:

http://www.environment-agency.gov.uk/homea...ting/38213.aspx

the info is out there if you care to look for it...... be careful on the 12th in this neck of the woods

christmas time on the nene. triathlon type event that involved running, cycling and canoeing. the competitors were most suprised to see a boat navigating the river in the depths of winter. i just kept a sharp eye out for them, slowing and giving room to pass when needed.

wasnt difficult or an arse ache to not spoil their day, was quite intresting seeing the tactics adopted by different competitiors, plus i got to spend a little longer on the boat, watching others enjoy the river

take a chill pill etc lol

I don't desire exclusive access.

I do want an end to official and unofficial closures or semi-closures that provide special interest groups with exclusive access.

I do want an end to official and unofficial closures or semi-closures that provide special interest groups with exclusive access.

Like narrowboat owners, perhaps? This is getting ridiculous, I'm off to risk life and limb in downtown Detroit before the rush hour starts. I'll be passing by the river, shall I tell them you require exclusive access, or do you not care as it's in someone else's country?

We also have the infamous Dragon boats on Tring summit.

As well as any actual event, there are a hell of a lot of practice sessions by the teams.

Mostly, although they take few prisoners, they do seem to have at least some instinct of self preservation.

Not so the three Dragon boats hacking towards us a few weeks ago, trying to overtake each other, despite a maximum width for two, (and certainly nobody else).

I slowed as much as I could, expecting them to drop back to a line, but they didn't really, and it all got "a bit interesting".

The first two passed without incident, but a woman on the last let out a tirade along the theme of "don't you know how to slow down !".

If they carry on the same for very long, I can envisage some Darwin award nominations.

I think you should maybe have your boat craned into your back garden then you can sit there quite happy with a bacon sandwich and NO ONE to disturb you or your "passage".

So if you want to have a canoe race it has to be done on a privately owned lake???? And you're not inconveniencing anyone???? :lol:

I have no objection to sharing the canal with canoeinsts, however....

• The canal system does not afford the opportunity for any event to have exclusive access or priority of passage, and organisers must take this into account.
  • The canal system is subject to bye-laws which those using the canal must comply with. Compliance whilst competing in a race will be difficult to achieve.

Are we inconveniencing the water skiers by not letting them compete on the canals?

Hot on the heels of the debate as to whether we should give way to working boats, whether freight or passenger....

On Saturday, we toddled off downstream to fuel up. As we approached bridge 2 on the Lower Peak Forest, a 2-seater kayak came from behind up our right hand side, and as they passed, the female occupant of the rear seat stridently called out "We need to pass you, we're in a race"

In order for them to pass without danger of crushing them, I would have had to throw her into reverse, and in order to accomodate her choice to go up the wrong side I would have been severely out of position for the bridge, so I called back that she would have to pass on the correct side after the bridge.

My word, did the air turn blue!

Thoughts

Let's analyse your original post then.

The woman wanted to pass you because she was in a race. Perfectly reasonable request. You could simply slow the boat to a halt and let her through.

There is no "wrong side" on the waterways. Why couldn't you simply back off and let her go?

Then you say the air turned blue. Why? Need it have done? Was anything you did possibly responsible?

I don't like to say it, but it seems by your own admission that you created an unnecessary confrontation.

I think you should maybe have your boat craned into your back garden then you can sit there quite happy with a bacon sandwich and NO ONE to disturb you or your "passage".

So, in order to avoid conflict with the various special interests who want to exclude me from the system whenever they want to pursue their hobby, I should permanently exclude myself.

Do you want to think this through a bit further?