Securing batteries

Ray

Featured Posts

Our domestic/starter battery bank sit in a metal frame that stops the batteries sliding back and forth or sideways. They are prevented from moving up and down by a ratchet strap that passes under the metal frame and over the top of the batteries. We believe this is adequate as we got our BSS with the batteries like this.

We're about to finalise the the installation of the bow thruster batteries, in a shallow plywood tray, resting on the floor of the bow thruster locker. The tray will be raised on plywood strips, and we had intended to pass two ratchet straps under the tray and bow thruster tube and over the batteries to hold the batteries in position.

We should be able to prevent sideways battery movement by positioning the straps adjacent to the terminal posts and vertical movement will be restrained by the straps as well. Access is restricted in the locker so any other solution (that we can think of) would be difficult to implement.

Ratchet straps seem to come in 5m lengths, far more than we need and we wondered if ordinary bungees would suffice in place of straps as they're easier to locate and a lot shorter.

How have other people secured their bow thruster batteries in place?

Our domestic/starter battery bank sit in a metal frame that stops the batteries sliding back and forth or sideways. They are prevented from moving up and down by a ratchet strap that passes under the metal frame and over the top of the batteries. We believe this is adequate as we got our BSS with the batteries like this.

We're about to finalise the the installation of the bow thruster batteries, in a shallow plywood tray, resting on the floor of the bow thruster locker. The tray will be raised on plywood strips, and we had intended to pass two ratchet straps under the tray and bow thruster tube and over the batteries to hold the batteries in position.

We should be able to prevent sideways battery movement by positioning the straps adjacent to the terminal posts and vertical movement will be restrained by the straps as well. Access is restricted in the locker so any other solution (that we can think of) would be difficult to implement.

Ratchet straps seem to come in 5m lengths, far more than we need and we wondered if ordinary bungees would suffice in place of straps as they're easier to locate and a lot shorter.

How have other people secured their bow thruster batteries in place?

Hi There

I used two pieces of threaded rod. Bent and screwed them down near the bottom of the battery tray, rising up at at about 45degree. A piece of 1"x1" aluminium angle placed on the front edge of the battery and two holes drilled in the fold to meet the two screwed rods. Two wing nuts pulls the battery down and back

Have a look at how many car battery's are retained.

Alex

Alex

What holds your tray in place?

I don't believe that I can secure the tray in place other than by "tying" it to the tube - it is different at the back where the frame/tray is welded. We don't have that luxury at the bow where we haven't got practical access to the floor of the locker to weld a metal frame in place. Hence the wooden tray resting on the floor and the straps (or whatever) tying it and the batteries to the BT tube.

I used door handles, the old grab and pull type, one at each end of the bank. From some of the 'general' shops around these days you can get a pack of three rachet straps quite cheap and I just cut them to length and fitted them onto the door handles!

Alex

What holds your tray in place?

I don't believe that I can secure the tray in place other than by "tying" it to the tube - it is different at the back where the frame/tray is welded. We don't have that luxury at the bow where we haven't got practical access to the floor of the locker to weld a metal frame in place. Hence the wooden tray resting on the floor and the straps (or whatever) tying it and the batteries to the BT tube.

Hi Ray

I had the benefit of a flat surface to glue the battery box down to.

Is there no other lockers at the front that the battery could be mounted in?

Alex

The only space is in front of the bow thruster tube, which is almost impossible to reach the floor of from the front deck - where we specifically have no lockers. I'd also wonder how strong glue would be if the force of whatever caused the batteries to require being strapped down, actually happened.

I'll probably go with the strap clamps. Cutting them down may damage the cut end, not a problem to start with but it may be if you need to remove the strap to get the battery out. I may also just live with the extra length.

I just wondered if bungies would be considered strong enough as they're a bit easier to manipulate.

Cutting them down may damage the cut end, not a problem to start with but it may be if you need to remove the strap to get the battery out.

Ray,

Straps like this are invariably something like nylon or polyester in my experience.

In the same way as you can bond the end of a synthetic rope with a flame, you can do that with these straps.

We cut the two securing our gas bottles, and I gust ran the flame of a gas lighter over the ends that would otherwise have frayed.

We cut the two securing our gas bottles, and I gust ran the flame of a gas lighter over the ends that would otherwise have frayed.

Alternatively, you can use an old butter knife (or similar, doesn't have to be sharp) get it nice and hot on a gas ring, and then cut the straps with that. Seals the ends at the same time. I like this method because it involves fannying around with a hot knife, and is therefore fun.

You have the luxury of an old butter knife. We've been married for XX years and can't afford a new butter knife and a narrowboat, so the knife replacement suffered!

Seriously though, I wasn't sure whether you could flame cut/seal the straps but as it appears that you can, I'll probably stick with them.

Thanks for all the ideas.