Transformers & Isolators

Woollymishka

Featured Posts

I do know electrical wholesalers sell a flexible cable with armoured covering that is suitable for exterior use.

Yep, I've seen flexible armoured used by A/C installers but I've no idea of the current carrying capacity. I guess a call to any electrical wholesaler would soon sort out what's available.

Regards,

Tony :lol:

Even with the transformer on the bank (where I want it, & where I am going to put it) I will have to run the shorelead along the roof the whole length of my boat to the inlet at the stern & therefore would have a live feed on/near/touching the boat without having that feed's earth connected to the hull. This is why I feel for my particular case I need the rcd.

Hmmm... I'm not sure I was completely clear about this. If you use a transformer the whole idea is that it is between the shore power and your boat. Therefore if you're saying that the shore power is at the bow and your inlet on the boat is at the stern, the transformer should be on the bank at the bow, with the OUTPUT of the transformer running along the roof. It's important to keep the shore power away from the structure of the boat because there will be no connection from the earth of that feed and the hull.

Also, what I meant by 'fail-safe' is that if the shore power should disappear for any reason, even for a second (like a brief power cut) the in-line RCD will (may) switch itself off until it's manually reset.

Hope that all makes sense,

Tony :lol:

Hi agian Tony, I think we have understood each other. Yes, the transfomer will be on the bank about 5ft from the bow. I will keep the shorepower INPUT to the transformer & kept well clear of the hull. The OUTPUT will be fitted with an inline rcd immediately after the transformer & this will then run to & along the boat (as you said).

I also understood about the fail safe thing. I believe it's so powertools etc. don't become live again eg. while you're away resetting the (main) trip, as this could be a hazard. However, as you pointed out, this would probably just be an inconvenience with relation to the boat.

I hope I've got this all correct now, I appreciate no-ones trying to be a pedant, just making sure it's wired correctly & SAFELY. That is after all my main concern.

Thanks again to all who have helped here,

Best regards

• 1 month later...
I am considering getting an isolation transformer, such as the ir link one linked to recently & have just noticed the seem to do a specific 'isolation transformer for boats' , here , and was wondering if it was worth it or are the just charging an extra 20quid for a yellow case and an earth-neutral bond? I would also like to be able to keep it on the bank due to its size, security shouldn't be an issue on my mooring, I assume this will be ok if wired as per here .

Thanks,

Charles

nb. Stealaway

Hi,

I've just got an Airlink transformer, but didn't realise that they now did a specific boat one, so I ordered the 3230, which only has two input and two output wires. I know I need to connect earth and neutral on the boat end, do I simply have no earth connected on the shorepower cable?

Thanks,

Simon

Hi,

I've just got an Airlink transformer, but didn't realise that they now did a specific boat one, so I ordered the 3230, which only has two input and two output wires. I know I need to connect earth and neutral on the boat end, do I simply have no earth connected on the shorepower cable?

Only two in and out thats rare.

Input

wire live to live terminal

neutral to neutral terminal

and terminate the earth

Output

live to live terminal

neutral and earth to neutral terminal

do not link neutral and earth in the boat do it as above on the output of the transformer

Only two in and out thats rare.

Input

wire live to live terminal

neutral to neutral terminal

and terminate the earth

Output

live to live terminal

neutral and earth to neutral terminal

do not link neutral and earth in the boat do it as above on the output of the transformer

Thanks Julian, hoped you'd reply. Thats how I had figured it would be based on articles that I'd read, but wasn't 100% sure. :lol:

Edited by flatplane8

Then it shouldn't be used on a boat.

Is it certfied as being double insulated?

Gibbo

To IP67 (if thats what you mean). I know that others have used them on boats, but as I say, they now do one with a connection for the input earth to the transformer electrostatic screen.

To IP67 (if thats what you mean). I know that others have used them on boats, but as I say, they now do one with a connection for the input earth to the transformer electrostatic screen.

IP67 means it protected against ingress of dust and water between 15cm and 1m. It's not an electrical spec

link

Richard

Actually, I should've done a bit more research. Looks like both the Airlink transformers mentioned are fine.

From Airlink's website, diagram at the bottom of the page. :lol:

Ok that's fine.

It's that earth in the diagram on the left connecting the shorepower earth to the transformer chassis. It's absolutely critical to the safety of the installation unless the transformer is double insulated.

PS. That's assuming you do actually mean the very bottom diagram. The other (despite what they say) should not be used on a boat. It doesn't mention double insulation so no earth is an absolute no no.

Gibbo

Edited by Gibbo

Ok that's fine.

It's that earth in the diagram on the left connecting the shorepower earth to the transformer chassis. It's absolutely critical to the safety of the installation unless the transformer is double insulated.

PS. That's assuming you do actually mean the very bottom diagram. The other (despite what they say) should not be used on a boat. It doesn't mention double insulation so no earth is an absolute no no.

Gibbo

The first potted ones they made had a ceramic screen (This is what they said) which removes the need for the ground connection to the primary.

Mine is in a metal box in the shed and unpotted!

The first potted ones they made had a ceramic screen (This is what they said) which removes the need for the ground connection to the primary.

That's probably ok then as long as the rest of it is built double insulated.

Mine is in a metal box in the shed and unpotted!

Mine is in Liverpool Bay as it fell off the bows.

Gibbo

Thanks for the advice, mine is the one without the earth connection to the screen, but it looks like this transformer is ok in this configuration.

I'm confused. Do you mean yours is as per the first of the two diagrams on this page? http://www.airlinktransformers.com/technic...ting.asp?data=2

If so, then as Gibbo has already pointed out it is NOT suitable for use on a boat. It must be as per the second (bottom) diagram.

I worry about a company that writes "load amperage" in a technical document...

T :lol:

I'm confused. Do you mean yours is as per the first of the two diagrams on this page? http://www.airlinktransformers.com/technic...ting.asp?data=2

If so, then as Gibbo has already pointed out it is NOT suitable for use on a boat. It must be as per the second (bottom) diagram.

Not if it has a ceramic screen as some of them do.............and is therefore OK see previous posts.

So it's definitely double insulated?

I haven't destroyed one to find out and its not marked with the double square

but Airlink have said it has a ceramic screen and it has a plastic case with the transformer encased in resin inside that.

I think that you may be looking for a problem when none exists.

If so kindly show me the regulation that says that this type of transformer is unsuitable for the use its being put to.

By regulation I mean a specific paragraph from BS7671:2008 or similar publication, not some here say off the interweb.

It's in IEC 61140 but I can't remember where and I don't have one handy.

Gibbo

PS. If it doesn't have an earth then it has to be certified as being class II. The standard is very clear on that point.

Edited by Gibbo

Airlink have said it has a ceramic screen and it has a plastic case with the transformer encased in resin inside that.

In that case it's double insulated (double squares or not) and you're good to go.

kindly show me the regulation that says that this type of transformer is unsuitable for the use its being put to.

By regulation I mean a specific paragraph from BS7671:2008 or similar publication, not some here say off the interweb.

I don't need regulations nor hearsay to know when something's dangerous. I've never read a regulation that says I shouldn't drop a live wire into the cut, but I don't think I'll be trying it any time soon.

You've said it doesn't have a steel screen and that it's encased in resin, so it's double insulated and will be just fine.

(I still worry about a company that writes "load amperage" in a technical document though...)

T :lol:

Edit to say that I've just seen Gibbo's post (posted the same time as me) and my comment that it doesn't need the double squares is therefore wrong - it must be certified/marked.

Edited by WotEver

Edit to say that I've just seen Gibbo's post (posted the same time as me) and my comment that it doesn't need the double squares is therefore wrong - it must be certified/marked.

Being really picky only if it is a finished consumer item, which it is not, as you have to wire it yourself!