Fuel Filter leak

Featured Posts

I noticed some leakage in the engine bilge yesterday, normally it is dry. I touched underneath the fuel filter and there was diesel. There is some sort of 'tap' underneath. Does anyone know what it could be for? And if it is something that could work loose and cause a leak? Nothing has been touched since a service in March. Cheers.

I noticed some leakage in the engine bilge yesterday, normally it is dry. I touched underneath the fuel filter and there was diesel. There is some sort of 'tap' underneath. Does anyone know what it could be for? And if it is something that could work loose and cause a leak? Nothing has been touched since a service in March. Cheers.

That will be the drain/sampling point by the sound of it. The fuel may be collecting there but not necessarily sourcing from there. If I were you I would wipe carefully around the whole bowl, right up to the head of the filter unit, and then monitor down the sides of the bowl by hand or with a tissue at regular intervals. If the sides of the bowl remain dry but the diesel reappears at the bottom then the problem is with the drain seal. If not then it's coming from the main bowl O ring seal.

Roger

are you sure its not the water trap. They usually have a drain on the bottom. You could try tightening it (but only with your fingers ). regards Tom

Hi Tom

Thanks for this. Do I need to drain this? Could it be overflowing? I tightened with fingers so I will check again at the weekend.

/Geoff

That will be the drain/sampling point by the sound of it. The fuel may be collecting there but not necessarily sourcing from there. If I were you I would wipe carefully around the whole bowl, right up to the head of the filter unit, and then monitor down the sides of the bowl by hand or with a tissue at regular intervals. If the sides of the bowl remain dry but the diesel reappears at the bottom then the problem is with the drain seal. If not then it's coming from the main bowl O ring seal.

Roger

Hi

Thanks for this. I will check again at the weekend

Cheers

Geoff

I noticed some leakage in the engine bilge yesterday, normally it is dry. I touched underneath the fuel filter and there was diesel. There is some sort of 'tap' underneath. Does anyone know what it could be for? And if it is something that could work loose and cause a leak? Nothing has been touched since a service in March.

Is it a screw on type canister filter with a white plastic bit at the bottom (water separator), or a CAV type with a metal plate and drain screw at the bottom (fuel filter)?

If you have connections and or bango's on the side and top, often any leaks run down and collect at the bottom, so it is worth running your finger round all the joints to see if you can identify the source.

Hi Tom

Thanks for this. Do I need to drain this? Could it be overflowing? I tightened with fingers so I will check again at the weekend.

If it's a water/sediment trap it should be drained periodically and the element should be replaced at regular service intervals. Follow the fuel line from the tank and if you have more than one fuel filter the first will be the trap.

If it's like mine you can drain it by partially unscrewing a bolt at the bottom. Have a clear container like a glass jar ready and make sure you've switched off the upstream fuel line first. If the diesel looks nice and clean and there's no water in there you can probably just tighten the drain plug up and carry on. However if it's more than a year or two old I'd replace it because although my drained fuel looked ok, but when I took the element off it was full of crap.

Edited by blackrose

If it's a water/sediment trap it should be drained periodically and the element should be replaced at regular service intervals. Follow the fuel line from the tank and if you have more than one fuel filter the first will be the trap.

If it's like mine you can drain it by partially unscrewing a bolt at the bottom. Have a clear container like a glass jar ready and make sure you've switched off the upstream fuel line first. If the diesel looks nice and clean and there's no water in there you can probably just tighten the drain plug up and carry on. However if it's more than a year or two old I'd replace it because although my drained fuel looked ok, but when I took the element off it was full of crap.

Hi

Thanks. It was (should have been) replaced as part of an RCR service in March. I shall check out all of your suggestions

Geoff