Southern Stratford Canal

Featured Posts

We have been planning to visit Stratford on Avon this summer, but we have been told that the whole area is a mess at the moment, because of the extension work taking place at the Theatre.

Has anyone been there this year, and was it Ok? Or should we give it a miss until the work is completed?

Hi David,

Dave and I were there only last weekend (by car) assessing the basin and moorings in readines for our visit (by boat) in the next two weeks. There has been extensive work and landscaping but it is all finished (apart from the theatre which is still hiding behind scaffolding) and although it has a different feel to how it was I have to admit that it was a thoroughly enjoyable afternoon wandering around, gonzooling, talking to boaters and bikers. ( I have certain issues about them trying to dissuade the bikers from the waterside area and some of the changes which have been made to modernise the area but in general I feel if an open mind is kept these things do not detract too badly)

The planting they have done is very interesting and we are both thoroughly looking forward to having a days stay in the basin on Carrie~Lou in the very near future.

Thanks for that assurance.

I don't know why I did not think of a car visit first, our boat mooring is only half an hour's drive away. Next time we visit the boat we will make a short detour.

• 2 weeks later...

Just turn up. There's a fair few mooring pontoons in the basin, you can fit four good lengths boats on the rings on the canal next to the Red Lion pub (still in town centre) and if those are full too there's always the river.

By the way, let me know when you're in town and I'll come and say hello!

Is mooring limited in Stratford or is it usually OK to just turn up and take pot luck?

Stickleback

There are pontoons in the basin, although two weeks ago going down I chose to stop just short of the basin on the canal itself (there are rings) as there was a strong cross wind and the pontoons are short: I didn't fancy being caught with a side wind, and I think BSP can tell you all about the hazards of that in Stratford

probably a dozen or more moorings, and you can moor on the River for a fee

If you need an AVON licence the Tourist Info centre near the basin sells them

Just turn up. There's a fair few mooring pontoons in the basin, you can fit four good lengths boats on the rings on the canal next to the Red Lion pub (still in town centre) and if those are full too there's always the river.

By the way, let me know when you're in town and I'll come and say hello!

We passed you at Wooton Wawen but no one seemed to be aboard! Shame :lol:

We are going to Stratford at the end of August (from Calcutt Marina) on a fortnight's honeymoon cruise. :lol:

Originally, I was hoping to do the Avon ring but as we will only cruise for 4/5 hours per day, this will probably prove too demanding, so we will probably turn round at Evesham.

Does anyone know whether it is possible to buy a licence just for the Upper Avon (Stratford to Evesham) and if so how much ?

We are going to Stratford at the end of August (from Calcutt Marina) on a fortnight's honeymoon cruise. :lol:

Originally, I was hoping to do the Avon ring but as we will only cruise for 4/5 hours per day, this will probably prove too demanding, so we will probably turn round at Evesham.

Does anyone know whether it is possible to buy a licence just for the Upper Avon (Stratford to Evesham) and if so how much ?

It is possible but I'm afraid I don't know how much. The full licence is £55 so it will be less than that

They do a 24 hour licence last year that was £8 this year £10 they do a 48hour last year this was £14 I don't know this years and if you want to travel the full length of the Avon then you must buy a 2 week licence last year £50 this year £55 (courtesy of Magpie Patrick), I am quoting last year and this year prices to give you an idea what the 48 hour rate is. The 24 hour covers 2 days and the 48 hour covers 3 days because they do it by the date not the time.

We're in Stratford Basin at the moment. There's some occasional noise from the work going on over at the RSC, and some of the lawns and flower beds are still being worked on, but otherwise everything there is fine. There are tourists everywhere and we keep getting Japanese groups asking if we can take them out for a boat trip. The Avon looks lovely, we'll be buying our 2 week licence tomorrow.

We're in Stratford Basin at the moment. There's some occasional noise from the work going on over at the RSC, and some of the lawns and flower beds are still being worked on, but otherwise everything there is fine. There are tourists everywhere and we keep getting Japanese groups asking if we can take them out for a boat trip. The Avon looks lovely, we'll be buying our 2 week licence tomorrow.

How busy is the basin? We are hoping to be there sometime next week - towards the end I expect - and imagine the moorings will be taken?

How busy is the basin? We are hoping to be there sometime next week - towards the end I expect - and imagine the moorings will be taken?

Although it's busy they're only 48h moorings so boats come and go quickly. There are also plenty of mooring rings by the Red Lion on the canal just before the basin, and the river has moorings (all in central Stratford). You should be fine.

I'll look out for you and give you a wave!

In the basin itself last night there was just one free mooring - because 3 Anglo-Welsh boats arrived together at about 5 pm - and the night before there were about 6 free spaces. There was also plenty of room on the river, but I didn't look by the Red Lion.

• 2 weeks later...

I was in a very wet Stratford on Saturday and all the pontoons were filled, however, there was only one NB by the Red Lion. The basin surrounds have been improved greatly and the new bridge is interesting(and bouncy). However, all that work has gone on and there's one little bit to complete at the lock

the bollards. Theres are two each side, and there are now 3 yellow crosses each side where the new bollards are going to go. Besides the fact that they aren's needed with 4 surrounding the lock already, you have to question why the work wasn't completed at the same time as everything else..........