Barry Hawkins Boat for sale at Norbury Wharf

Featured Posts

Can I epoxy some washers onto my PortaPotti, instead?

NO NO NO . Don't use epoxy!

Use nails through the holes in the washers then apply a coat of bitumen for added effect.

- Don't use nails that are too long or it will spoil your day.

Mods. I'm sorry I just couldn't help it.

Quite: in my opinion all boats should have a riveted pump-out tanks, mandated and inspected by the BSS.

I kind of assumed all these boat with faux rivets had them throughout all the steelwork.

Mind you, if their owners want a true replica of working boat days, they should dispense with the pump-out tank, and put a bucket in the engine hole.

I suspect had working boats survived as truly working boats to the point Porta-Pottis were available, that's what the toilet arrangements would have moved forward to.

I suspect had working boats survived as truly working boats to the point Porta-Pottis were available, that's what the toilet arrangements would have moved forward to.

BW did fit some 'elsan' toilets to their working boats when it dawned on them just what the boating families were doing in the way of lavatories.

Is that a riveted, wooden galvanic isolator? I have just remembered that my 'riveted' day tank was made by Barry Hawkins - anyone want to buy a boat? Oh woe is me! :lol:

I can't buy yours (credit crunch, y'see) but I'll happily swap boats :lol:

BW did fit some 'elsan' toilets to their working boats when it dawned on them just what the boating families were doing in the way of lavatories.

That's what I thought- the Admirals (?) were built with longer cabins to accommodate an Elsan forrad of the Engine 'Ole.

That's what I thought- the Admirals (?) were built with longer cabins to accommodate an Elsan forrad of the Engine 'Ole.

I have often wondered what some of the weekenders on 'shiny boats' would think if they saw the way real boaters lived fifty years ago.

I have often wondered what some of the weekenders on 'shiny boats' would think if they saw the way real boaters lived fifty years ago.

OI!

I'll have one those next week.

Gibbo

But (as I understand it) had to discontinue the practice when health inspectors cottoned on to the fact that if the boat was loaded, the only way to remove them was through the boatman's cabin, (and hence "the kitchen").

They weren't Porta Potties though, they were just genuine "bucket" style Elsans.

Those of us boating 40 years ago thought things like the ubiquitous Elsan Bristol was pretty cool. It was in washable plastic, after all, had a proper seat, and there was even a drop in lid to cover the nasties below, when not in use.

Whatever the detractors day, cassette style bogs are at least 1000% better than the old way of doing thing, (the latter being all you would have found on 95% of hire boats, in practice).

You know, I've been cruising past that boat for a good few years, fantasising with Bagpuss about sticking a note in the window offering to buy it... It's been a shame watching it lie getting green mould developing over the years.

Do we know why Richard's decided to sell? I know not much has happened in the last few years so the back story would be of interest...

Those of us boating 40 years ago thought things like the ubiquitous Elsan Bristol was pretty cool. It was in washable plastic, after all, had a proper seat, and there was even a drop in lid to cover the nasties below, when not in use.

Arrgh, you just dragged up long-suppressed childhood memories of the heads on my grandad's tupperware. The Elsan was in a cupboard immediately forward of the steering position and the shaft for the steering wheel went through the bulkhead with the drum and steering cables high on the wall of next to Elsan. I remember sitting there, watching the mechanism move.

MP.

But (as I understand it) had to discontinue the practice when health inspectors cottoned on to the fact that if the boat was loaded, the only way to remove them was through the boatman's cabin, (and hence "the kitchen").

They weren't Porta Potties though, they were just genuine "bucket" style Elsans.

Whatever the detractors day, cassette style bogs are at least 1000% better than the old way of doing thing, (the latter being all you would have found on 95% of hire boats, in practice).

Ours had a clip on lid for when you were carrying it through the boat to the outside world.

I still carry the mental scars of getting a blue bum from the splash back........ those were the days

I seem to remember Willow Wren hire boats in the early 70's fitted with "sea toilets". One lever to pump water in from the canal and another to pump the other stuff back out! Presumably they were still legal then.

Jim

With the emphasis on bucket! I recall one which was a board with a hole in it and a galvanised bucket underneath. You put the Elsan liquid in the bucket and when it was full dug a hole at the side of the towpath. (If you were feeling particularly concientous :lol: )

Anyone else remember when hire boat inventories included an entrenching tool?

With the emphasis on bucket! I recall one which was a board with a hole in it and a galvanised bucket underneath. You put the Elsan liquid in the bucket and when it was full dug a hole at the side of the towpath. (If you were feeling particularly concientous :lol: )

Modern Porta-Pottis are so sophisticated :lol:

Anyway.........

About this Barry Hawkins boat that's for sale........ What do you think....... :lol: (I love it here)

I think it's absolutely stunning.

One thing that's maybe worth remembering is that some people don't really care about value for money, and resale value etc. They're too busy enjoying life instead of worrying about whether they got the best value for money and whether they can save 9 pence on a tin of beans. There are plenty of people around to whom 90K is nowt, and if they like the boat they'll buy it.

I have no idea about the value of boats but I reckon it will sell regardless of price, just because it's gorgeous.

Gibbo

I seem to remember Willow Wren hire boats in the early 70's fitted with "sea toilets". One lever to pump water in from the canal and another to pump the other stuff back out! Presumably they were still legal then.

They were, (on the canals).

Wyvern Shipping also had them. We had to instruct hirers they should only use the sand-paper like "Izal" loo paper, as soft tissue bunged up the works - not popular with the engineers.

They were not allowed on the Thames then, so a boat going out on the Thames ring had to have a bucket and chuck it on board too. Do we think it got used?........

Absolutely! And how often did they get used, either, I wonder! :lol:

Do we know why Richard's decided to sell? I know not much has happened in the last few years so the back story would be of interest...

As i know Richard i can tell you that The reason for the sale is down to personal circumstances! i also know that the price quoted by NWL was put as an indication as to what the price might be as they hadnt had confirmation by Richard prior to placing the adverts! The adverts will be updated in the next week and the correct price of £72,000 will be put on the boat.

It is a superb boat with a very high specifacition list and lovely engine and once finished it will make someone a very proud owner!

As i know Richard i can tell you that The reason for the sale is down to personal circumstances! i also know that the price quoted by NWL was put as an indication as to what the price might be as they hadnt had confirmation by Richard prior to placing the adverts! The adverts will be updated in the next week and the correct price of £72,000 will be put on the boat.

It is a superb boat with a very high specifacition list and lovely engine and once finished it will make someone a very proud owner!

That seems to be a more realistic price for a quick sale - I hope for the sake of the owner that the right buyer comes along soon. There will always be buyers for boats like this but with the wide choice of boats currently on the market take a bit longer to sell that it would have done three or four years ago.

Is it my imagination or are the "anti washer josher" brigade just as vociferous as the "anti pump out" brigade.

Do they really not like them or is it secret envy?

I think they look gorgeous. I accept some people might not. We all have different tastes. But why the insulting comments?

Jealousy..... :lol:

• 3 weeks later...

It seems that maybe the selling brokerage needs to sort it's advertising out.....

Currently, nearly 3 weeks after the above post, it still says.....

REF: 10179

PRICE: £72,000.00

COMMENTS: Shortly to arrive is a 70 foot Barry Hawkins Northwich replica tug style narrowboat. This is your rare opportunity to own a truly spectacular boat by this renowned builder. This boat has been fitted to a very high standard using only this finest materials. Traditional, fully decorated back cabin, as fitted out by Barry Hawkins. The boat is powered by a superb twin cylinder Gardner 2LW rebuilt by Danny Williamson housed in it's own engine room. This boat comes with an impressive specification list. The boat is 95% complete and only requires a small amount of work internally and external coach work to turn it into a truly fantastic boat. (We are still awaiting all of the final details from the vendor). Priced in the region of £90,000.00. These boats do not come on the market very often, so don't miss this rare opportunity to own an impressive boat.

So which is it ? £72K, or in the region of £90K - quite a difference, really!

Edited by alan_fincher