Quickest route on South Oxford ?

Nickhlx

Featured Posts

We need to move the boat from the Braunston area to the Thames and on to Reading in the quickest time, as our slot to move is limited...

I believe that there are two route options at the lower end / onto the Thames and we will be going with the flow when on the Thames.

Can someone recommend the quickest / shortest time route to opt for ( e.g. less locks, or more time on the Thames with the flow, if slightly longer distance )

I will also run it through Canalplan to see what comes out, but its always nice to have a recommendation, if poss with the pros and cons.....

Thanks

Nick

I'd probably join The Thames via Dukes Cut, coming out just above King's Lock -- mostly because the canal near Oxford is lined with moored boats and so progress at more than tickover wouldn't be encouraged. Oxford Canal and Thames -- what a lovely section to cruise. Have fun.

I agree with Whale.

Going off the Oxford at the Duke's Cut would on the face of it be faster.

I've yet to do the other way, but several on here have claimed it is very much the territory of the more vociferous members of the "Slow Down" brigade.

I don't know if that's true, but you can legally push along at 5mph on the Thames, something that would doubtless not be popular on the lower reaches of the Oxford.

Depending on just how quickly you are travelling, I suppose it might make a difference to how many days Thames licence you need to buy though, (assuming you don't have "Gold"). Obviously using Dukes Cut you are one Thames several miles longer.

I agree with Whale.

Going off the Oxford at the Duke's Cut would on the face of it be faster.

I've yet to do the other way, but several on here have claimed it is very much the territory of the more vociferous members of the "Slow Down" brigade.

I don't know if that's true, but you can legally push along at 5mph on the Thames, something that would doubtless not be popular on the lower reaches of the Oxford.

Depending on just how quickly you are travelling, I suppose it might make a difference to how many days Thames licence you need to buy though, (assuming you don't have "Gold"). Obviously using Dukes Cut you are one Thames several miles longer.

Last time we came off the Thames with another boat we were traveling up stream. They left at Isis and we left a Ducks Cut, we both arrived at Ducks lock together.

Last time we came off the Thames with another boat we were traveling up stream. They left at Isis and we left a Ducks Cut, we both arrived at Ducks lock together.

Thanks for the feedback - no we don't have a Gold so would need to buy a day or two licence for the Thames section - how much is a day licence this year ?

It seems there might not be much in it timewise - presumable one is shorter but slower because of the moored boats... and because of the little time available, will have to put in long days, ( up at 06-00 maybe and finish at 21-00,) so want to disturb as few people as possible, even cruise until dark ( or after dark ? :lol: ) Boat is very quiet....

Thanks again,

Nick

I did wonder myself whether it was any slower going by canal, so I am pleased to hear someone has tried it out!

Thames locks are bigger so you get more boats in them, which might have an overal afffect during the crowded system. the Queues at the locks on the canal are fun, but could hold you up more?

You'll find more queues the further down the river you go. There aren't usually that many queues at Kings and Godstow.

It may be the same time wise (I've not really checked it myself), but you'll think its a lot quicker via the river.

Thames locks take a longer time to turn around than canal locks and it can take a while to get the boats in/out.

Dawn til dusk - you'll get a few miles under your belt. Don't forget that the Thames lockies knock off at different times dependent on the time of the year. They also knock off for lunch.

I'm not sure how many of the locks are now electrified after hours yet either (I try not to use them after hours).

I'm not sure how many of the locks are now electrified after hours yet either (I try not to use them after hours).

I don't know either, other than that, although we didn't cruise late, we generally went through the lockies lunch hour.

Each day we did that we encountered at least one lock that wasn't manned, I think, and all those we did allowed self operation on electricity, with no need to "hand crank".