Coventry Canal Tesco Near Foleshill

canalbabe

Featured Posts

Has anyone got any idea if you can moor outside or near the big Tesco (near the Football stadium) on the Foleshill Road, Coventry. I'm visiting Coventry in June and wouldn't mind stocking up on supplies if I can get close enough to get the trolley to the boat!

Has anyone got any idea if you can moor outside or near the big Tesco (near the Football stadium) on the Foleshill Road, Coventry. I'm visiting Coventry in June and wouldn't mind stocking up on supplies if I can get close enough to get the trolley to the boat!

The towpath side is piled so I would guess that you could get in there, but I normally use the offside on the old wharf next to the goods in gate and near the pipe bridge, so on the store side of the canal. http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?hl=en&ie...mp;t=h&z=20

The closest that you can get a trolley is the bus stops as they have wheel locks, but it would be worth asking at customer services if they have a non locked trolley.

The towpath side is piled so I would guess that you could get in there, but I normally use the offside on the old wharf next to the goods in gate and near the pipe bridge, so on the store side of the canal. http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?hl=en&ie...mp;t=h&z=20

The closest that you can get a trolley is the bus stops as they have wheel locks, but it would be worth asking at customer services if they have a non locked trolley.

Thanks that's great! Coulds always get my partner to help me carry the trolley up and out of the way of the trolley stops or posotion an empty one past the stops and do a transfer of goods! :lol:

Thanks that's great! Coulds always get my partner to help me carry the trolley up and out of the way of the trolley stops or posotion an empty one past the stops and do a transfer of goods! :lol:

Oh yeh i forgot to ask can you wind ok somewhere without going all the way to the basin?

Oh yeh i forgot to ask can you wind ok somewhere without going all the way to the basin?

There's a winding hole at bridge 6A, about 1/2 mile south, but whay not go all the way to the end? The basin is worth a visit and there are nice bits in the city centre.

I've moored against the piles - only problem is that the vegetation is a bit overgrown so staking and egress/ingess can be a bit of a pain.

There's a winding hole at bridge 6A, about 1/2 mile south, but whay not go all the way to the end? The basin is worth a visit and there are nice bits in the city centre.

We went into coventry a couple of years ago.

The biggest suprise was the transport museum. We spent about three hours in there. Most enjoyable and superb exhibits.

AND IT'S ALL FREE!! Well it was then, probably still is.

Martyn

I agree about the motor museum - excellent, and needs more time than the several hours we allowed.

And Hawkesbury to Coventry is definitely a "count the coconuts" opportunity - the most we have ever seen, certainly.

I have moored outside the store, can't remember if we could get the trolloey to the boat but it's rare when boating to buy so much that two people can't carry in bags.

Tim

I agree about the motor museum - excellent, and needs more time than the several hours we allowed.

And Hawkesbury to Coventry is definitely a "count the coconuts" opportunity - the most we have ever seen, certainly.

...and if your are cruising down to the basin around tea time you get a lovely waft of exotic spices in the air! I got very hungry last time I was at the tiller heading that way.

Agree on the motor museum it's a superb collection and well presented.

Edited by churchward

There is also a good array of independent retailers - butchers, bakers, greengrocers etc - in the centre of Coventry, so why not support them instead of Tesco for a change?

There is also a good array of independent retailers - butchers, bakers, greengrocers etc - in the centre of Coventry, so why not support them instead of Tesco for a change?

Have been down to the basin about 4 years ago, wasn't impressed with the cruise down, quite run down and felt vunerable in places (weirdo's hanging out under the bridges etc). The basin itself was good although there was no room to moor so we had to turn and go back to Hawkesbury! Has it been cleaned up?

We are full time live aboards so like to stock up on all the heavy shopping (coke bottles/spuds etc) so any opportunity to bring a trolley as close to the boat as poss is gratefully received. We do do Tesco/Asda online home shopping when there is a mooring suitable for the delivery - not sure if there is one near Cov? Has anyone tried and been successful? We like to moor in the countryside for a few weeks at a time so that we don't have to keep going to get supplies every few days, hence the big shop. We do like to buy form independent butchers etc as you obviously get a much better standard of produce.

We also spent a good few hours going around the Motor Museum, brilliant!