Just our luck

magpie patrick

Featured Posts

I know, I know, It doesn't take much to make me grumpy, but this one is justified I think.

For most of the last two weeks Ripple has been rather busy, First my brother took his family on board and pootled the length of the G&S, then my parents (in their seventies) did the same. They all had great weather, and none went through the lock at Gloucester.

But on Thursday we will be going through the lock at Gloucester, and no sooner have mum and dad tied her up at the marina and it starts hissing down, the forecast over the river catchment, isn't promising, seems to be a lot of rain for the next three days, and even if the river doesn't rise too much, we are likely to be well sodden by the time we get to Upton

So how much rain has to fall before we're spending our holiday in Gloucester Docks? anyone know? :lol:

I know, I know, It doesn't take much to make me grumpy, but this one is justified I think.

For most of the last two weeks Ripple has been rather busy, First my brother took his family on board and pootled the length of the G&S, then my parents (in their seventies) did the same. They all had great weather, and none went through the lock at Gloucester.

But on Thursday we will be going through the lock at Gloucester, and no sooner have mum and dad tied her up at the marina and it starts hissing down, the forecast over the river catchment, isn't promising, seems to be a lot of rain for the next three days, and even if the river doesn't rise too much, we are likely to be well sodden by the time we get to Upton

So how much rain has to fall before we're spending our holiday in Gloucester Docks? anyone know? :lol:

A lady in Upton who evidently knew the river told us that it takes 4 days before the river rises and last year she was right. It didn't take an awful lot of rain as we saw it coming down the Avon and around Tewkesbury, however it depends more what's happening in far Welsh mountains apparently.

We got off on day 3, it closed on day 4. We were punching a fair current getting up to Worcester from Upton and I got rather worried, the engine's never smelt that hot before but she coped!

Looking at Val's posting, assuming you're going clockwise I'd look to get up the Severn onto the canals as quickly as possible if at all. The Avon was a more erratic beastie than the Severn and came up much more quickly. By the time you get round to Stratford hopefully things will have calmed down.

Looking at Val's posting, assuming you're going clockwise I'd look to get up the Severn onto the canals as quickly as possible if at all. The Avon was a more erratic beastie than the Severn and came up much more quickly. By the time you get round to Stratford hopefully things will have calmed down.

Thanks Smelly

we are going clockwise, but intending to stop at Upton for four nights for the folk festival. If this is considered unwise we'll press onto Diglis I think and somehow I'll retrieve the car so we can travel back to Upton.

I have to admit I didn't know Val had posted! We are talking to each other, honest!!! :lol:

Patrick

You could always give the Gloucester lock keeper a call.

Do not like to be the bringer of bad news but went past Gloucester Quay a couple of days ago and the river was 'high' then.

It takes between 4 and 5 days for rainfall in the Welsh Mountains to have an effect on the Severn between Gloucester & Tewkesbury and that stretch is also effected by the maximum height of the tide at Maismore weir . A high tide will carry as far as Tewkesbury lock and occasionally past it.

As far as I know the lock keeper at Diglis River Locks still does a daily check by phone on remote river level censors on the un-navigable top end of the Severn which gives advance warning for rising (or falling) levels and information on which it is possible to base the decision to close the river to traffic .

If you are worried about the situation I suggest you ring either Gloucester or Diglis Locks for advice on the current situation.

It's raining up here in the upper Severn valley at the moment but, as we have had no rain in weeks, I would guess that this lot and much more will need to soak the ground before we get the runoff into the rivers. Last year it was mostly wet November right through to June - when our garden finally dried to the point you could walk on it. This year it was dry by mid march. Still a lot of rain from now on could alter things. One year we had 100 rainless days until the end of April - followed by the wettest summer in years.

:lol:

It's raining up here in the upper Severn valley at the moment but, as we have had no rain in weeks, I would guess that this lot and much more will need to soak the ground before we get the runoff into the rivers. Last year it was mostly wet November right through to June - when our garden finally dried to the point you could walk on it. This year it was dry by mid march. Still a lot of rain from now on could alter things. One year we had 100 rainless days until the end of April - followed by the wettest summer in years.

:lol:

Fair point...

I've just been searching my threads from our trip last year but there's nowt of value, I can't find Diglis lockks' number on waterscape easily either so I'm outa tricks... Good Luck

Well I am sat here less than 10 miles from the actual source of the Severn, and can happily say that there has been some rain, but not a lot, and currently the Severn and the Clywedog or both fairly low.

The higher ground is quite dry at the moment so is acting like a huge sponge and "keeping" the wet in.

Lock numbers (might be out of date)

Diglis 01905 354280

Tewkesbury 01684 292129

On the Severn locks can close before the advertised time. (Even when we phoned and said we would be there before 7pm we found an hour later the crew had gone home when we arrived at 6-45. And at Diglis the house is private not the lockees.)

Last time we passed there was a nice new big floating mooring above Diglis but only the lock and river walls below.

Thank you all! Isn't it funny how we can all be so grumpy with each other but, when needs must we pull together

Assuming today's weather has been typical, I think we'll be alright, but it's like having your holiday in Spain in the balance bevause the French Air Traffic Controller's might go on strike, without having anyone to blame.

Somewhere, in the past, I must have decided I needed more stress, so I bought a boat :lol:

Thanks for the numbers, will check, but we don't have a plan B, which is the main problem

Thanks Smelly

we are going clockwise, but intending to stop at Upton for four nights for the folk festival. If this is considered unwise we'll press onto Diglis I think and somehow I'll retrieve the car so we can travel back to Upton.

I have to admit I didn't know Val had posted! We are talking to each other, honest!!! :lol:

You may need to take into account the fact that moorings at Upton are very limited and at Folk Festival time very difficult to get . Most people get there very early but can still end up mooring five or six abreast . May be worth considering getting off the river and commuting to the festival from somewhere else if you are also worried by levels as well.

You may need to take into account the fact that moorings at Upton are very limited and at Folk Festival time very difficult to get . Most people get there very early but can still end up mooring five or six abreast . May be worth considering getting off the river and commuting to the festival from somewhere else if you are also worried by levels as well.

Like this (last year)

P1020430r.jpg

I'm aware they are limited, and we are happy to breast up, but I do wonder what planet the organisers are on, as the communication I've had seems to suggest they are unaware that people arrive by boat!

Allan's picture shows virtually all the mooring space at Upton and there are not that many boats able to tie up for the weekend so the event organisers are not likely to consider boat traffic to be an important source of visitors to the festival.

Allan's picture shows virtually all the mooring space at Upton and there are not that many boats able to tie up for the weekend so the event organisers are not likely to consider boat traffic to be an important source of visitors to the festival.

Limitations of written text! I'm not that put out by the organisers and I think they do a good job (as do all those who make such festivals happen) but I spoke to one and asked about whether the moorings would be busy, or even accessible, and the response could be paraphrased as "what moorings?" (I was slightly concerned they might be closed to host a floating attraction). Don't have a name, and wouldn't name them anyway, just rang the general number.

We stopped in Upton on the way down last year, and on a Saturday in June breasting up was required

Hobbler, will you be there? You seem to know a lot about it.

Weather seems for the moment to have taken a turn for the better :lol: we'll just have to wait and see :lol:

Limitations of written text! I'm not that put out by the organisers and I think they do a good job (as do all those who make such festivals happen) but I spoke to one and asked about whether the moorings would be busy, or even accessible, and the response could be paraphrased as "what moorings?" (I was slightly concerned they might be closed to host a floating attraction). Don't have a name, and wouldn't name them anyway, just rang the general number.

We stopped in Upton on the way down last year, and on a Saturday in June breasting up was required

Hobbler, will you be there? You seem to know a lot about it.

Weather seems for the moment to have taken a turn for the better :lol: we'll just have to wait and see :lol:

The floating attraction at most Upton events in the past has been the Oliver Cromwell but they normally moor on the opposite side of the river which isnt usually an option for narrowboats - dont know if they are going this year as I did hear they had applied for planning permission to become a static hotel at Gloucester.

We are not going this year but its usually a good show and I hope you enjoy it - the Severn is a bit like a second home to me having spent many years moored on the G & S and at Stourport as well as time as a relief lock keeper on the river.

If you can time your departure from Gloucester to be half an hour or so after the incoming tide passes Gloucester Lock you will have a much easier run upto Tewkesbury especially if there is much "fresh" coming down.

Call that congested? Should see Cropredy in August! :-)