Glossary of terms?

Featured Posts

After following the latest missing boat thread, I was wondering if a 'ready reckoner' of boat types and descriptions could be usefull.

For example, we're currently looking for a 'Liverpool' boat. What exactly is a Liverpool boat? What are it's distinguishing features?

What is a cruiser stern? Or traditional? Or semi-trad? And cratch covers? Not a clue! But I do know a Squirrel stove isn't necessary for cooking squirrels.

What I'm getting at is that I've been on and around boats and canals for over 30 years now, and to me, a narrow boat is a narrow boat. It'd need to be something rather special to really register. If one of our local boats suddenly changed from blue to crimsom I wouldn't notice it as the blue boat unless it had the same name on the side!

There is a Boat in Ware at the moment, recently been painted black (I only know that as I saw them doing it!), I couldn't go on the missing boat thread and point it out as although there's a good technical discription, tying that description to an image is to me trying to cook icecream.

It may also help newbies, and buyers who aren't sure what styles are out there or what's available and what to look for.

At this point I expect someone to reply that it's already there if I'd bothered to look for it... :lol:

Rob.

It's not already there but it's difficult to actually achieve.

Like you, I've been interested in canals and rivers since I was a nipper and the modern leisure nb varies little, in overall detail, to me (hence my calling them "clonecraft").

Liverpool boats do have distinguishing features but not really enough to produce a set of WW11 German aircraft type silhouette id drawings (Springers at 3 o'clock, sir!").

The main thing is to note the design features of the boat that set it apart from other Liverpool boats and other clonecraft.

You do cook your squirrels in a squirrel stove, btw, but you can also squeeze a rabbit in, too.

Not a full glossary of terms, but for many years all "Liverpool Boats" built narrowboats and widebeams have had a variant of a distinctive "half circle" detail welded to the bows.

Hard to find a really good picture clearly, but you can see it on this boat on a broker's web-site.

1215.jpg

This could be removed by judicious use of angle grinder and some remodelling of the steelwork, but it would be quite a bit of disruption.

Just painting over would not stop one knowing it's a Liverpool Boat, and even removing this would not hide other LB features, live overly arched roofs with a very heavy curvature.

The problem with Que Sera Sera is that there are hundreds of Liverpool Boats about that length, (not that the owners have ever clarified what the real length is, at it has been reported 3 different ways :lol: :lol: ).

Hence looking for a "cruiser stern", (i.e. engine under the rear deck), Liverpool Boat of between 55 to 60 feet does not help. You need to look for other details. The number of full and half sized windows, plus the single porthole each side starts to narrow it down as a much more unique boat.

But even then there are similar LB boats with 3.5 windows and a port-hole. But comparing to the (poor) pictures avialable, you can see they are not Que Sera Sera. I thought I had found a good match, but the one I saw had it's big windows equally spaced. QSS, it seems, does not.

Of course a determined thief can move windows, (though you can generally see where ones have been welded up), and cut new windows, hatches or port-holes.

I'd say 60% to 70% of all LB boats of this length we saw in 250 miles of boating are blue, too. :lol:

If you want to steal a boat, or have one you wish to hide and disguise for other unspecified reasons, this was a good one to pick.

Thanks everyone, it's a help.

One thing I'd desperately like to change from the original post is that everyones boat is special to them in the same way that my 14' yoghurt pot is special to me. What I meant was 'unusual'. I hope no-one took offence, apologies if they did.

Rob.

Yeah, there are a LOT of liverpoolboats boats out there!

- The bot detail and roof are the key features, but once you have seen a few to notice, you can spot them a mile off.

A google will return images of what a trad/semitrad/crusier looks like, but quickly

trad (room for one to stand, in doorway, as per working boats)

http://www.canalboattrader.com/assets/imag...narrowboats.jpg

semi (looks a bit like a trad from the side, but with large opening and standing area inside steel sides)

http://www.empressholidays.co.uk/LUCY.jpg

cruser (lots of room, more modern, common also with hireboats)

http://www.boatsandoutboards.co.uk/images/pics/PIL030_1.jpg

However, i also agree some pages of terms would be a good asset to the site, and its something we have been meaning to get around to for a while.

Daniel

• 4 weeks later...