water purifier

miller

Featured Posts

do you need to fit a purifier to the cold water system ?

27224[/snapback]

For peace of mind and possibly stomach, I would say yes. It is only necessary for the water that will pass your lips though.

I am sure that some people have not bothered and will say that as long as all the system is kept clean there will not be a problem.

The usual way to get water onto a boat is via a hose, now no matter how careful you are this could become contanimated, drop it on the towpath, people ,dogs etc walk there. Water can lay in the hose between fillings, becoming stagnant.

I am not sure what lives in my water tank, and would probably rather not know. I do use a ceramic filter on the cold tap though, and so far I have never been affected by drinking the waater from the tank.

I am not sure what lives in my water tank, and would probably rather not know. I do use a ceramic filter on the cold tap though, and so far I have never been affected by drinking the waater from the tank.

27226[/snapback]

any surrgestion to a make

I have a ceramic filter for the reasons mentioned above.

It was easy to fit but is frustratingly slow to deliver water through the tap. I suspect it has more resistance to flow than our Pump/Accumulator system is expecting.

I don't know if any adjustment to either pump or accumulator is possible or if it would improve the situation.

I hope someone else here will have an opinion.

We dont have one on the boat. (well, we do, but its not plumbed up yet)

- At home we have a 3stage water fillter supplying a seperate little tap for drinking water.

- It does slow it doe a fair bit, but its ok for just filling a glass (although filling 5takes a while)

linky

Daniel

Guest st170dw
any surrgestion to a make

27228[/snapback]

We use a normal Britta jug type filter for our drinking water. No need to plumb it in and the replacement cartridges are easily obtained.

We use a normal Britta jug type filter for our drinking water. No need to plumb it in and the replacement cartridges are easily obtained.

Yeah, that certainly one was of doing it.

- Although it one more peice of worktop clutter, and another thing to fall on the floor when you bump.

Also, to add to my prevous post. The filter company that supplyed our filter for home have a system where you tell them how often you want to replace your filter (depending on usage etc) and they then send you out a form when its time for replacement, so all you have to do it tick the 'Yes please' box, and post it back in the SAE, and the filter arrives within the next week. Which is great. Although less convent if you live aboard and done have a postbox system in place.

Daniel

I don't think Britta-type jugs really do much, and I certainly wouldn't rely on one to purify my tank water.

The main selling point for these jug-type filters is the "improved taste" - which usually means removal of the chlorine tang if your water supply is prone to it.

However just leaving your water in an ordinary open jug for a short while will achieve the same result.

At least with a microfine ceramic element is designed for the purpose, the filter is very fine but relies on a reasonable pressure to push the water through. Just think for a moment how fine (or not) a filter is going to be if you can just pour the water straight through.

Unless there is a significant level of organic material in it, straight water is a very poor breeding ground for bacteria etc, So as long as you don't dangle your hosepipe in the dog sh** when reeling it up, the clean water you put into your tank should stay pretty clean.

There's me being an old cynic again.

We use a ceramic filter on our galley cold water tap and we have never had any health problems from drinking the water in cold drinks.

The delivery rate at the tap doesn't seem to be effected by the filter and is almost as good as a domestic kitchen tap.