We've started building "Sleepy Hollow"

Featured Posts

The lorry load of steel arrived today, it's not easy unloading all the steel required for a 59 foot boat by hand :lol: it was hard work. We layed the base plates using scaffold poles to lever it about, far too heavy to lift.

We did some grinding on the joining edges of the base plates, ready for welding. That's about it for the day. Lovely weather for working hard though. :lol:

The lorry load of steel arrived today, it's not easy unloading all the steel required for a 59 foot boat by hand :lol: it was hard work. We layed the base plates using scaffold poles to lever it about, far too heavy to lift.

We did some grinding on the joining edges of the base plates, ready for welding. That's about it for the day. Lovely weather for working hard though. :lol:

Hi! Nice to see someone else scratch building a narrow boat. We built ours in the back garden. We started it in September 2003 fully fitted and launched it in July 2006. My brother made a short film that is still on Ytube that you may find interesting. If you type in clivemain in the Ytube search, his videos will come up on the left hand side. The film is titled Launching Narrow Boat. We did ours with no plans, simply building it as we went along. I do have contact and an occaisional progress report from Pistonbroke, who is also building his own from scratch. Maybe the mods may consider a scratch build slot within the forum. I wish you the best of luck and if there is anything I can help you with please ask.

Yours Bob the Welder

How thick is baseplate Casper. I had 2m x 4m x10mm sheets and there was no way I could move those by hand. Luckily had use of forklift

Hi. We're using 8mm base plate, each sheet is 6 foot 10 wide and 10 foot long. We're having vertical hull sides to allow more floor space inside. These sheets are rather heavy.

We built Casper 9 years ago at the same place so have a rough idea what we're doing, but it takes 9 years to forget how hard work it is before you want to build another.

The link is to a blog held on this forum, i've clicked on it, seems to work though not much info on it yet.

Edited by casper ghost

If the actual base plate of the boat is 6ft 10 then does that mean the actual width of the boat will be slightly less due to the usual base plate over hang boats normally have?

Yes you're right, the sides will be less than 6ft 10. It's the same as Casper which has an interior width of just over 6ft 3. It gives the inside a more spacious feel than the usual 2 metre base plate and is easier for an ameteur to build.

Yes you're right, the sides will be less than 6ft 10. It's the same as Casper which has an interior width of just over 6ft 3. It gives the inside a more spacious feel than the usual 2 metre base plate and is easier for an ameteur to build.

Is that really correct?

Is that really correct?

I believe so, most mass manufactured boats use 2 metre plates as i think you can get them off a roll, so any length you want and it saves on cost. The problem is that i've been in some boats where the inside floor width is only 5ft 10. The sides then being at a slant makes it more awkward to fit the furniture with things having to be built in rather than using cheaper free standing.

It's known as Birmingham Square when the sides are vertical.