hand suction pump

jampot

Featured Posts

Hello

Our boat is now 19 days old and wonder if anyone could help us please? Looking to buy a hand suction pump for changingj oil on the gearbox - any ideas where we can get one from please?

cheers, Janice & Dai

Hello

Our boat is now 19 days old and wonder if anyone could help us please? Looking to buy a hand suction pump for changingj oil on the gearbox - any ideas where we can get one from please?

cheers, Janice & Dai

Dont know your location but I got mine from Uxbridge boat centre, just a small hand held brass jobbie with a long thin pipe for sticking down the filler/dipstick hole and larger discharge tube into a suitable recepticle, works fine. sorry dont have a pic

Hello

cheers, Janice & Dai

Something like this :http://www.pelapumps.co.uk/default.aspx?orig=ga if you want one that can contain all the oil for transfer to another waste oil drum.

Or look on eBay using the search words 'suction oil' and you will see many small suction syringe type products that will require the pump to be emptied as you do the job.

In my opinion it is still better to use the drain plug method on a gearbox (or an engine for that matter) if it is feasible to access it as you tend to flush out the dirt that settles in the bottom better than you do with a 'suction through a thin tube' method.

Roger

Hello

cheers, Janice & Dai

Something like this :http://www.pelapumps.co.uk/default.aspx?orig=ga if you want one that can contain all the oil for transfer to another waste oil drum.

Or look on eBay using the search words 'suction oil' and you will see many small suction syringe type products that will require the pump to be emptied as you do the job.

In my opinion it is still better to use the drain plug method on a gearbox (or an engine for that matter) if it is feasible to access it as you tend to flush out the dirt that settles in the bottom better than you do with a 'suction through a thin tube' method.

Roger

I tend to agree but it is awkward on my setup. I do occasionally struggle though and get the dregs out in the way you suggest.

This brings up a question I was talking about to my friends the other days, why change oil in the gearbox? Just make sure its topped up.

After all when did you last have a gear box oil change on your car.

Gear box oil is not like the oil in an engine that get really warm and has carbon mixed in with it, hense it gos black

unlike gear box oil, have a look it should be honey coloured.

This brings up a question I was talking about to my friends the other days, why change oil in the gearbox?

Because it's what the gearbox manufacturers say you should do, in the owners hand-book, possibly ?

For a newish one, would the honour a warranty claim, if you had not ?

Put it another way.....

Why would you not to change the gearbox oil, (i.e. chose to ignore the manufacturers instructions) ?

This brings up a question I was talking about to my friends the other days, why change oil in the gearbox? Just make sure its topped up.

Gear box oil is not like the oil in an engine that get really warm and has carbon mixed in with it, hense it gos black

To get rid of all the metal fragments, especially on a nearly new box.

Kristian asked:

The drive to reduce the number and frequency of oil changes in vehicle engines and gearboxes owes more to the intense effort of vehicle manufacturers to reduce the cost of ownership by reducing servicing costs than it does to the lack of need to change the oils. Admittedly this drive has been helped by the oil manufacturers improving the oils (or they have been forced to develop improved oils at the insistence of the manufacturers, depending how you look at it), the metallurgists developing the materials and the development engineers doing component life testing. Many engineers still recommend more frequent oil changes than those specified in the service schedules particularly if you are a low mileage/short journey type of driver. Also, don't forget that much of the car market servicing is driven by the very significant and crucial company car market where cost of ownership over the first two years is particularly important. After the first two years, when the company cars are sold on, the manufacturers are less bothered what happens then.

Roger