Threefellows Carrying Ltd

Featured Posts

You can watch it here:

http://vimeo.com/4188190

While editing the Leicester Kids Afloat video archive of the 1980's I've made this little film of the small fleet operating the gravel run on the Soar between Thurmaston and Syston.

In time, the film about the Leicester Kids Afloat will be available but there is so much material it will take some sorting to make a coherent documentary and it is a long story that ended very unhappily for LKA.

Wonderful.

I wonder what the chap on the converted boat intended to do with the bucket of water.

Did he miss deliberately ?

I was wondering that myself, so I shall ask Stephanie (now with the NBT) who was steering Charlotte. What happens next in that sequence is that he then grabs one of the women and pulls her into the river with a big splash, I think he was bored so did something to make the day memorable for the Mums and Tots group. I think from what I've seen in the videos I might have to put a disclaimer to some of the H/S breaches seen, but boy! did they enjoy themselves! :lol:

Wonderful stuff.

My brother very briefly worked for Three Fellows, but I think even his cavalier attitude to life couldn't quite come to terms with what a dodgy shoe-string operation this was.

Some of the boats were in little more than "ex Wendover" condition, other than making the engines work, I think, and I believe some managed multiple sinkings on this traffic.

Interesting to look at now, but probably fairly dangerous to those involved in it.

I've heard that Brighton used to sink on a regular basis and cross chains and planks were removed to allow easy unloading of the minerals thus resulting in a considerable spread on the width of the hull. But after trying to enter Thurmaston lock breasted up loaded, caused such delays, along with sinkings, that the Threefellows had to tighten the operation up a bit by the time these bits of film were recorded. It has to be said that this was the real fag-end of commercial carrying.... Still it looks fun here....

Had to delete the original film because i got the last phone number wrong cos I couldn't read the tiny numbers on the card

so here it is again apologies for any distress - :lol:

Threefellows Fragments

http://vimeo.com/4208929

"The mineral excavation of the Soar Valley in Leicestershire is due to the huge cross- country river (now called the historical River Bytham) that laid a massive layer of sand & gravel across the Midlands landscape prior to the Anglian Ice Age 550 thousand years ago. This massive terra-forming by vast glaciers led to the creation of the Soar valley where the river was utilised by early man to support his continuing bid for group survival.

Even in the 1980’s the economics of repetitive short trips, carrying by waterways, was more lucrative than carrying by road (A47 - old Roman Fosse Way), so thus, the Threefellows Carrying Ltd exploited the profit margin, allowed by those who could tolerate the working regime on the ex GUCCC, BW, Willow Wren and Seymour Roseblade owned and quite knackered 1930’s narrowboats that were their vehicles for the job.

No more than 2 miles of the Leicester Navigation between Thurmaston & Syston was the scene of many daily Monday to Friday return-journey’s carrying a one way load of what was dug out of the fields bordering the fields of the navigation that is now Watermead Park.

At the same time, the community organisation that grew out of Woodgate Kids Afloat into Leicester Adventure Afloat during the 1970’s into the 1990’s were almost daily visitors too, to this navigation. So thus they were a new association of river users both quite unique in the way they were using this ancient waterway. Familiarity breeds contempt, so they say, and none truer on a warm summer’s day when a toilet bucket is used to throw a quantity of canal water over the 3 Fellows steerer.

The entire records archive of the Leic Adventure Afloat, a voluntary organisation that ceased in 1996, is in the hands of the ex-manager who has willingly offered up the best that can be shown (I’ve sat through the worst!) for your interest and nostalgia.

Of course this means that there must be more to see about boating on the Soar Navigation and you’re right! - Just be patient!"

Update on the Bucket Chucker - He was one of two wayward volunteers that helped that summer who knew the 3 Fellows crews, who gave as good as they got. The LKA crew were far more sensible and responsible - mindful of the charity's public image and H/S - Still it looks a lot more fun that what I was doing at the time..... :lol:

• 4 years later...