kegworth deep lock

denboy

Featured Posts

just Emailed BW regarding the above lock that has been elf & safety fied what do you think?

copy below133.gif

Good morning

would it be at all possible to regain some sanity and remove the baffles on the above mentioned lock to the previous configuration as having to wait 4 hours at one lock as we did yesterday is a very long time.

The reason being that there is only one ground panel and four gate paddles of which yesterday only one was free from debris and other rubbish blocking the new baffles that have been installed ,

It seems obvious to me and the other boaters who were stuck there that the engineer that drew up the plans has never been to the lock at busy times and seen the chaos the baffles create .

Ps chained hinged steel plate baffles that i have seen on other locks would be a far better way of doing the job so that rubbish is allowed to flow through them

Best Regards

Denis

just Emailed BW regarding the above lock that has been elf & safety fied what do you think?

copy below133.gif

Good morning

would it be at all possible to regain some sanity and remove the baffles on the above mentioned lock to the previous configuration as having to wait 4 hours at one lock as we did yesterday is a very long time.

The reason being that there is only one ground panel and four gate paddles of which yesterday only one was free from debris and other rubbish blocking the new baffles that have been installed ,

It seems obvious to me and the other boaters who were stuck there that the engineer that drew up the plans has never been to the lock at busy times and seen the chaos the baffles create .

Ps chained hinged steel plate baffles that i have seen on other locks would be a far better way of doing the job so that rubbish is allowed to flow through them

Best Regards

Denis

Good rant :lol:

Try Shipton or Aynho on the Southern Oxford for frustration. Each have had one of the two paddles disconnected. Obviously as its only a short drop (around a foot) they think it wont take long to fill/empty. WRONG! It's quicker to get through Somerton Deep!

The slightest 'blow past' on a gate and it never fill's/empties :lol:

Good rant :lol:

Try Shipton or Aynho on the Southern Oxford for frustration. Each have had one of the two paddles disconnected. Obviously as its only a short drop (around a foot) they think it wont take long to fill/empty. WRONG! It's quicker to get through Somerton Deep!

The slightest 'blow past' on a gate and it never fill's/empties :lol:

Having tried both, believe me Kegworth deep is far worse than anything the Oxford can throw at you.

It really is quite ridiculous.

As Den says, some locks up that way, (on the wide T&M for instance), have large hinged plates on chains that completely avoid flooded boats, without the complications associated with "grid" type baffles.

Goodness knows why the crap arrangement is now the standard, whereas the sensible alternative seems rare.....

And a reply too

Denis,

Thanks, for your e mail. We will clear the baffles as soon as possible and will look at ways of altering the arrangement to reduce the debris trapping issue.

Regards,

Neil Harvey

Customer Operations Manager

01636 704481

Sent: 14 April 2009 13:24

To: Neil Harvey

Subject: FW: kegworth deep lock(kegworth new lock)

Neil,

Is this something you can respond to?

Regards

Stephen

Stephen Hardy

Marketing & Communications Manager

British Waterways

East Midlands Navigations

I will say I've worked with Neil Harvey and he has a rare commodity, common sense, but like anyone, he can't know everything. Tell him the facts and he'll respond. His team are generally very good, on the Trent at least. But the chain is only as string as the weakest link

BTW Kegworth deep as built didn't have a ground paddle at all....

When Bishop Meadow Lock in Loughborough was regated BW put baffles on the gate paddles within days they were blocked which made Kegworth deep seem fast in comparison!! The baffles quickly disappeared. Kegworth does have its problems in that it is very easy to flood a boat in it. Did anyone have the sense to get a shaft and try to clear rubbish or even drop onto the sill and pull it out?

When Bishop Meadow Lock in Loughborough was regated BW put baffles on the gate paddles within days they were blocked which made Kegworth deep seem fast in comparison!! The baffles quickly disappeared. Kegworth does have its problems in that it is very easy to flood a boat in it. Did anyone have the sense to get a shaft and try to clear rubbish or even drop onto the sill and pull it out?

lets see, paddle open but blocked with rubbish, get on the cill, pull rubbish out...

See the Tuesday Tickler thread :lol:

lets see, paddle open but blocked with rubbish, get on the cill, pull rubbish out...

I'm not really that much of tw4t - Keg'orth is my home village and I've worked that lock for all of its existence and its predecessor for a few years as well.

Actually get on cill with paddle closed - most of the rubbish is plaggy bags which can be pulled out through the grill! Failing that use a shaft with the paddles open and the lock full.

• 2 months later...